Hugh Masekela - Home Is Where The Music Is

mikeweil

41yCqSX%20I7L._SS500_.jpg

This Blue Thumb double LP was finally reissued in the Verve Originals series. All ten tracks, re-mastering is okay - I had to boost the treble a bit, as the recording is a bit muffled. The drum set sounds awful - some rock kit available in the London studio, kickdrum as dead as a concrete post, toms with plastic heads tuned as loosely as possible ..... but the playing is fine.

Hugh Masekela - fluegelhorn

Dudu Pukwana - alto sax

Larry Willis - piano, Wurlitzer electric piano

Eddie Gomez - bass

Makaya Ntshoko - drums

Recorded at Island Studios, London, January, 1972

1. Part Of A Whole (Caiphus Semenya)

2. Minawa ( Sekou Touré)

3. The Big Apple (Caiphus Semenya)

4. Uhomé (Miriam Makeba)

5. Maseru (Hugh Masekela)

6. Inner Crisis (Larry Willis)

7. Blues For Huey (Kippie Moketsi)

8. Nomali (Caiphus Semenya)

9. Maesha (Caiphus Semenya)

10. Ingoo Pow-Pow [Children's Song] (Caiphus Semenya)

All South African writers, except for Willis' best known tune - I'm not a collector of South African jazz, but I loved this one ever since I got a cut-out copy of the Impulse LP reissue in the 1980's.

Spinning the LPs I rarely got past the first tune, which I almost wore out - I dig these ostinato grooves, and the tune has some unexpected turns. Great chord choices. Caiphus Semenya wrote many great tunes.

The CD will finally give me a chance to listen to the other tracks ... :winky:

Edited by mikeweil

Lovely album! First heard it on this new CD incarnation (discussed in that Universal reissues thread, and quickly also in the ZA jazz recommendations thread).

The whole thing is pretty smooth already (pointing in the direction Masekela would take), but there's some great drumming (ok, in less than great sound, it didn't sound bad to me, I just took it as it came), and then there's Pukwana, tearing it all up with his very vocal, rough sound - a great mix!

• 4 months later...

Question for the two or three people who have the original LP and the CD reissue: is there an early fade on track 9, "Maesha?" The LP/CD says the track is 11:49, but the track on the CD fades out at around 10:20. Hate to think this is an early fade-out, as the entire 11:49 would've fit just fine.

Question for the two or three people who have the original LP and the CD reissue: is there an early fade on track 9, "Maesha?" The LP/CD says the track is 11:49, but the track on the CD fades out at around 10:20. Hate to think this is an early fade-out, as the entire 11:49 would've fit just fine.

I have only the 1978 reissue on Impulse IA-9343/2 (or Impulse 2-4147, as this double LP was renumbered after Impulse was sold to MCA) - it has the same fadeout as the CD.

I have only the 1978 reissue on Impulse IA-9343/2 (or Impulse 2-4147, as this double LP was renumbered after Impulse was sold to MCA) - it has the same fadeout as the CD.

Okay, that's cool. Kinda like on Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti where "Kashmir" is listed as being more than 9:30, but it's actually like 8:45.

I found an original vinyl at Forever Young today. That was quite a gatefold on that thing, right up there with some of those Limelight issues. Too bad it couldn't be transferred to the CD, but whattya gonna do?

Okay, that's cool. Kinda like on Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti where "Kashmir" is listed as being more than 9:30, but it's actually like 8:45.

I found an original vinyl at Forever Young today. That was quite a gatefold on that thing, right up there with some of those Limelight issues. Too bad it couldn't be transferred to the CD, but whattya gonna do?

YMMV - I thought the front cover was horrid. Its absence would make me inclined to go for the CD.

My UK original says 11:49, too. Never thought to time it.

Bloody good album!

MG

The original also has an insert of liner notes written by Hugh Masekela which is not included in the CD reissue (at least, not in the copy I received from yourmusic.com).

Edited by kh1958

The original also has an insert of liner notes written by Hugh Masekela which is not included in the CD reissue (at least, not in the copy I received from yourmusic.com).

No sleeve notes in mine :(

MG

FWIW - I think one of the tracks here is wrongly credited...apparently 'Nomali' is one of Dudu's!

That seems to happen with this network of musicians. Nomali is the same as "Angel Nemali" from In the Townships. I think you're right in that it's credited to Dudu there (I don't have the liners with me to confirm).

For comparison, "Shebeen" from Masekela's Hugh Masekela & the Union of South Africa is actually the same as "Baloyi"--In the Townships' lead-off track. "Shebeen" is accredited to Jonas Gwangwa on the Masekela album; I think it's attributed to Dudu on his record (again, I can't confirm right now).

I love the drummers on the Masekela dates, but I by far prefer the versions on In the Townships--far edgier and more rhythmically supple.

Incidentally, "The Big Apple" appears as "Big Apple" on Dudu's Cosmics Chapter 90, also attributed to Semenya (an example of agreement).

FWIW - I think one of the tracks here is wrongly credited...apparently 'Nomali' is one of Dudu's!

That seems to happen with this network of musicians. Nomali is the same as "Angel Nemali" from In the Townships. I think you're right in that it's credited to Dudu there (I don't have the liners with me to confirm).

For comparison, "Shebeen" from Masekela's Hugh Masekela & the Union of South Africa is actually the same as "Baloyi"--In the Townships' lead-off track. "Shebeen" is accredited to Jonas Gwangwa on the Masekela album; I think it's attributed to Dudu on his record (again, I can't confirm right now).

I love the drummers on the Masekela dates, but I by far prefer the versions on In the Townships--far edgier and more rhythmically supple.

Incidentally, "The Big Apple" appears as "Big Apple" on Dudu's Cosmics Chapter 90, also attributed to Semenya (an example of agreement).

Checked the notes to "In the townships" and you're correct - both tunes are credited to Dudu. Great album!

If memory serves, "Cosmics chapter 90" came out after "Home is where the music is".

MG

Yeah, that's right--but In the Townships postdates "Home", IIRC.

I don't know if too many people would have the answer, but I always wondered whether the issue was mis-accreditation or that these were folk songs or melodies/harmonies in the "group ether" that people chose to appropriate/place their own stamps on. "Ezilalni" from In the Townships seems to be based on a folk melody; the same theme appears as "Ntsikana's Bell" on Dollar Brand's Good News from Africa, and there it's credited as "Trad. arr. by Abdullah Ibrahim". On the other hand, there are songs like "Ntyilo Ntyilo" that have definitive sources but are very often mis-credited. (These might be issues that get clarified for me over the next few months of writing, though...)

Indeed it does. Oh well.

I don't know if too many people would have the answer, but I always wondered whether the issue was mis-accreditation or that these were folk songs or melodies/harmonies in the "group ether" that people chose to appropriate/place their own stamps on. "Ezilalni" from In the Townships seems to be based on a folk melody; the same theme appears as "Ntsikana's Bell" on Dollar Brand's Good News from Africa, and there it's credited as "Trad. arr. by Abdullah Ibrahim". On the other hand, there are songs like "Ntyilo Ntyilo" that have definitive sources but are very often mis-credited. (These might be issues that get clarified for me over the next few months of writing, though...)

I think you may be right about stuff being in the air. But check out my first post in this thread - the second example deals with Abdullah Ibrahim apparently appropriating a Zacks Nkosi tune and calling it "Mannenberg".

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...st&p=874549

MG

Indeed it does. Oh well.

I think you may be right about stuff being in the air. But check out my first post in this thread - the second example deals with Abdullah Ibrahim apparently appropriating a Zacks Nkosi tune and calling it "Mannenberg".

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...st&p=874549

MG

Hello,

am I the only one experienced a problem in this reissue ?

On my CD copy, in the last 2 tracks only, towards the end of each track I hear very annoying repetitive "cracks", during all louder passages. It resembles a lot to typical noises one can get when doing a CD-R copy going wrong ...

Can someone please check and tell me if that's only my copy having this problem (you have to turn the volume up a bit to hear it) ...

thanks !!!

Hello,

On my CD copy, in the last 2 tracks only, towards the end of each track I hear very annoying repetitive "cracks", during all louder passages. It resembles a lot to typical noises one can get when doing a CD-R copy going wrong ...

Can someone please check and tell me if that's only my copy having this problem (you have to turn the volume up a bit to hear it) ...

thanks !!!

Mine has that as well. A replacement is on its way from BMG; I'll post when I get it with the results.

But I agree: there are a lot of times on this CD where it sounds like a badly-pressed CDR of a cassette copy of a poorly balanced needle-drop. If I ever see this on vinyl for under $35, I'm snapping it up. Hell, even I can make a nicer-sounding needle-drop than this.

Hello,

thanks !!!

Mine has that as well. A replacement is on its way from BMG; I'll post when I get it with the results.

Received the replacement today and I'm happy to report that it does NOT have those annoying clicks on it. Way to go, BMG! :tup

Hello,

thanks !!!

Received the replacement today and I'm happy to report that it does NOT have those annoying clicks on it. Way to go, BMG! :tup

And Verve, for that matter for correcting the pressings.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this thread up again because I've been listening to this pretty much nonstop now for the last four months. I simply cannot get over how beautiful this album is. My favorite tune has to be "Minawa," though. Everything clicks on this track: Larry Willis stunning piano harmonies, the gentle repetitive thunder of the drums before they crash into the buildup of each section, and Eddie Gomez's colorfully understated bass lines, not to mention Masekela's luscious solo and Pukwana's urgent solo, and finally their rich harmonies that bookend the piece. I think that's what I love about this whole album: how marvelous the blend of trumpet/alto is throughout the whole album. I love singing along with the various harmony lines!

Very few albums hold me in such a hypnotic sway as this one. Pity that Masekela doesn't appear to have made more albums like this one, which is not necessarily a bad thing if one assumes Masekela simply wanted to move on to the next sound in his head!