• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2008 at 3:18 PM, mikefok said:

Mangelsdorff Originals Vol. 1 -- MPS 06025 1779747

Includes the albums:

- Zo-Ko-Ma (1968), feat. Attila Zoller, Lee Konitz, Barre Phillips & Stu Martin

- Wild Goose (1969), feat. Colin Wilkie & Shirley Hart, Joki Freund, Emil Mangelsdorff, Heinz Sauer, Günter Lenz & Ralf Hübner

- Never Let It End (1970), feat. Heinz Sauer, Günter Lenz & Ralf Hübner

- Trombone Workshop (1971), feat. Slide Hampton, Ake Persson, Jiggs Whigham, George Gruntz, Isla Eckinger & Tony Inzalaco

- Birds Of Underground (1972), feat. Heinz Sauer, Gerd Dudek, Buschi Niebergall & Peter Giger

So from my YouTube sampling and from other sources...

• "Zo-Ko-Ma" seems like a stone-cold 5-star album, right up there with the very best of the very best of its kind.
  • "Never Let It End" seems like a very solid 4-stars (with the 10-minute long title-track ranking up there with anything Manglesdorff did for CBS in the early-to-mid 60's).
  • "Wild Goose" seems like a total oddball folk-music/free-jazz hybrid, which just might be weird enough to be enjoyable and/or fun.  I'd never pay a mint for just it, but if it's along for the ride, sure, why not?  But 3-stars, at best.  Yes??  (or No??)
  • "Trombones Workshop" could be fun, but again, not anything I'd really seek out at a premium price.  Maybe 3-stars??  Yes or No??
  • "Birds of Underground" seems even a bit further out than I'll really listen to all that often -- which is not to say that I won't like it -- but as I'm getting older, I just don't reach for the really free stuff nearly as much as I did 15 years ago (even though I'd like to claim otherwise).  So more objectively 3-stars, but given how much I'd listen to it, more like 2-stars?  Anyone care to chime in on this one??

I've got a line on a copy of this for ~$66 shipped to my front door, so ~$14 per disc.  Almost as painful as a Mosaic -- but getting the 2 discs I really want individually is gonna cost me $45 minimum total (that's incl. two separate bouts of international shipping), and probably more like $50.

So I suppose I ought to go for it (meaning the whole 5-disc set, for $66 -- or about $15-$20 more for the 3 discs I wouldn't get otherwise, than if I just get the two I really want).  Unless someone wants to talk me down.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, I just pulled the trigger on a near-mint copy of the 5-CD "Originals Vol 1" set via Discogs, from a seller in the UK (with a 100% rating on 400+ transactions).  If his postage quote stays the same, then it should run me about $66-$67 (I think), including shipping.  Easily $20 more than I really wanted to pay, but where the hell am I ever gonna find it any cheaper?

Didn't "need" it, but I waited a good week between when I first saw it at that price, and pulling the trigger just now.  Figured I'd kick myself hard if I missed out on it.

Might be the very first thing I've ever bought on Discogs, far as I can tell.  I did have a longin/userid -- but probably something I set up 10+ years ago, and never used (my shipping info wasn't even in my user profile).

Looking forward!

Love Mumps, great album, one of my favourites of all time.

Wild Goose is a one in a kind record, I haven't heard anything else that mixes (English?) folk music and free jazz. I guess stuff like that could only be done in a brief time window in the late 60s and early 70s. I don't listen to this album too often but I like to put it on once in a while to amaze at the whackiness of the concept.

Trombone workshop certainly has its moments, even it is very much a product of its time. I like the sound of trombones soloing over fender rhodes electric piano quite a bit. Recording could be much better, though. It's kind of muddy and distorted.

1 hour ago, sambrasa said:

Wild Goose is a one in a kind record, I haven't heard anything else that mixes (English?) folk music and free jazz. I guess stuff like that could only be done in a brief time window in the late 60s and early 70s. I don't listen to this album too often but I like to put it on once in a while to amaze at the whackiness of the concept.

yeah, few other things I can think of are Ken Hyder's Talisker records and some of Surman's tunes.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, that's probably the best one (or at least my favorite). Not sure if he's still active.

Maybe working locally in Scotland perhaps? Haven’t seen any mention of gigs South of the Border by his groups for many years. It was about 1988 when I saw Talisker. A most enjoyable gig !

Edited by sidewinder

On 9/25/2018 at 7:08 PM, clifford_thornton said:

it's closer to a weird ECM record than a Trio + Mangelsdorff record. Just take a bong hit and enjoy.

Talking about The Trio side projects, picked this one up few weeks ago in a used CD shop in Tokyo:

61A1TYXqP9L._SY400_.jpg

Been digging greedily into ECM back catalogue for almost 30 years by now and still, this one was new to me. Bought it because it seems to be out of print again, and glad I am I did. Basically The Trio + electronics + John Abercrombie on 1 track.

• 3 weeks later...

RE:  Mangelsdorff Originals Vol. 1 -- MPS 06025 1779747 -- Includes the albums:

• - Zo-Ko-Ma (1968), feat. Attila Zoller, Lee Konitz, Barre Phillips & Stu Martin
  • - Wild Goose (1969), feat. Colin Wilkie & Shirley Hart, Joki Freund, Emil Mangelsdorff, Heinz Sauer, Günter Lenz & Ralf Hübner
  • - Never Let It End (1970), feat. Heinz Sauer, Günter Lenz & Ralf Hübner
  • - Trombone Workshop (1971), feat. Slide Hampton, Ake Persson, Jiggs Whigham, George Gruntz, Isla Eckinger & Tony Inzalaco
  • - Birds Of Underground (1972), feat. Heinz Sauer, Gerd Dudek, Buschi Niebergall & Peter Giger

===================================================================================================

So I've been listening to the my 5 new discs from the Mangelsdorff Vol 1. box that got just about two weeks ago, and thought I'd chime in with some thoughts...

• "Zo-Ko-Ma" - Clearly a great album, but a more sparse and 'open sounding' than I was expecting.  It'll grow on me more over time, but for now I'm just giving it a 4/5 stars.  I do like it, but I was expecting something a little more 'dense' for lack of a better word -- or maybe less episodic.  Still quite good, though.
  • "Wild Goose" is just nuts - and NOT in an especially good way.  Folk music meets free jazz, in a shotgun marriage.  2/5 stars, at best (I'm being charitable, many would say 1/5).  This one may go in a box under the bed.
  • "Never Let It End" - OMG, total 5/5 stars.  Just fantastic!  A little out there at times, but never more or father than I want to go.  Almost as stunning as his earlier studio dates for CBS in the mid 60's.  Can't say enough good things about this one.  And the 10-minute title track is just sublime:  "Never Let It End (Spanish Waltz For La Singla)".
  • "Trombone Workshop" - what a fun date!  I've spun this 3x since I got the whole box, and it's just a blast.  A very solid 4/5 stars (which I was a little surprised at myself).
  • "Birds Of Underground" - I haven't really heard this one yet, other than a short cursory spin (skipping around).  Sounded good, but a little more 'out' than "Never Let It End".  Jury's still out.
Edited by Rooster_Ties