Albert Mangelsdorff - MPS reissues

king ubu

Yes, Kronberg might indeed be the best of Mangelsdorff's sax playing sidemen! Lauer never quite struck me as that great a player, either (his band with Michel Godard though is of course interesting, if only from the instrumentation and Godard's freakish tuba playing!), same for Sauer - he's one of those tough, hard-edged Coltrane followers, and there are millions of those, so to stand out really would be difficult anyway... his recent duo partnership with young pianist Michael Wollny though seems to be rather nice.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, and Niko - a good example for guys who didn't get along outside of music: Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker - but on stage or in the studio, at least for the short period the original Mulligan quartet lasted, they got along great! I guess that's not very uncommon, though it does strike me as weird, too, that guys who can't stand each other would play together for a long time... but then in the end playing music is also a way of making a living, and we all had jobs were we had to stand pricks of all kinds and act as if we got along at least sort of ok with them...

Yes, Kronberg might indeed be the best of Mangelsdorff's sax playing sidemen!

Believe me, he was! I've seen them all, and Kronberg was all fire and ice, where the others where still searching where to go. He was what he played, instantly, authentically - Lauer always sounds to me like an intellectual who mentally understood what people like Trane did, but has none of the guts associated with it. He's from a different world, as is Sauer - always that sour (pun intended) tone, rarely any beauty or real soul or groove. That's what I miss the most with the players over here, a touch of black soul and groove.

Well, maybe that's just me. But too many players to my ears are playing for their own self-seaching, not enough for music for its own sake.

Edited by mikeweil

Yes, Kronberg might indeed be the best of Mangelsdorff's sax playing sidemen!

Believe me, he was! I've seen them all, and Kronberg was all fire and ice, where the others where still searching where to go. He was what he played, instantly, authentically - Lauer always sounds to me like an intellectual who mentally understood what people like Trane did, but has none of the guts associated with it. He's from a different world, as is Sauer - always that sour (pun intended) tone, rarely any beauty or real soul or groove. That's what I miss the most with the players over here, a touch of black soul and groove.

Well, maybe that's just me. But too many players to my ears are playing for their own self-seaching, not enough for music for its own sake.

You should really check out Malcolm Braff then! Now there's a yurpeen pianist (ok he was raised in Senegal, I think, but he's looking as caucasian as you and me, except for the wild mountain of hair surrounding his face). There's someone with all the fire and life and lots of courage for both the beautiful as well as the wild and freakish (the drummer of his best band, BraffOesterRohrer, Samuel Rohrer, is one of the best currently active anywhere, in my opinion - should be of interest to you as well, a very creative and unusual musician, using little instruments and unusual components with his drum-set).

I think your assessment of both Lauer and Sauer (I had to stay away to make such a pun, almost did it as well) is pretty much correct. Though to defend Lauer a bit, as I said, his trio with Michel Godard is fun - at least he was able to see that he might need some kind of musical/emotional counterpoint there, to his own German self (no offense intended, but I guess you know what I mean!)

I wouldn't order from them directly - they seem to be sort of Universal's website in Yurp, so likely you can find the discs you want cheaper elsewhere... but I never tried, maybe they offer good service, it's just that from experience with the big labels, ordering directly usually means you pay a bit more (same with Blue Note, for instance).

Just received the Mangelsdorff box sets. They are regular jewel cased cd's for each LP one CD in a carton box. I guess they are going to sell them seperately as well at a later stage. That's good news for people who only want Zo-Ko-MA (Chuck?).

That would be great, since I'm not willing to part with my 'Three Originals' box sets. :rolleyes:

Any site recommended for buying them at a reasonable price?

intuitively i would wait whether the boxes show up in the october program of zweitausendeins... for instance they have the george duke box for 24 euro which seems pretty good

http://www.zweitausendeins.de/suche/?q=Duke%2C%20George

Edited by Niko

I wouldn't order from them directly - they seem to be sort of Universal's website in Yurp, so likely you can find the discs you want cheaper elsewhere... but I never tried, maybe they offer good service, it's just that from experience with the big labels, ordering directly usually means you pay a bit more (same with Blue Note, for instance).

Jazzecho's prices are cheaper than those at Amazon.de, FWIW.

• 4 weeks later...

It sucks that these 5CD boxes are so darn expensive - even more so as the other 5CD sets (and smaller 4CD, 3CD) packed in big boxes were sold for such good prizes (thinking of the George Duke, Monty Alexander, Eugen Cicero, Art Van Damme, Peter Herbolzheimer). I haven't been able to push myself and buy either of the two big boxes yet, although I'm perfectly aware that I will buy them some day... (still need the Solo 2CD as well, only got the Live 2CD so far).

• 2 weeks later...

Have earlier Mangelsdorff's (from the EP era) ever been reissued comprehensively?

I mean, how can you go wrong with track titles like

DIE OPA HIRCHLEITNER STORY

that would leave most anybody guessing as to what it actually is?? :D :D

Die Opa Hirchleitner Story is available from Bear Family Records. This release also includes the music from the LP 'Rhein-Main-Jump' and the EP 'A Ball With Al', all recorded in 1958.

Edited by zzaj

• 3 months later...
  • 9 years later...