Art Pepper-the Complete Galaxy Recordings

jazzkrow

Set up a saved search for "Art Pepper Complete Galaxy" at eBay to email you whenever one gets listed. You can save up to 100 searches this way. It took me about three years of getting outbid, but I finally got a near-mint copy of the Pepper set there recently for about $85 including shipping.

There was some guy that appeared to have an endless supply of this set on eBay a while back, as he continually listed one copy after another for months on end. I figured it was too good to be true, but although his feedback was mixed (many happy buyers, but also quite a few people saying "lost in the mail but seller issued refund"), he did have multiple feedback entries from various bidders who appeared to have actually received copies. I finally bid on one and won it at a pretty reasonable price, but after two months and no Art in sight, sure enough the seller claimed it was lost in the mail and refunded my money.

I got a brand-new, still-sealed copy for around $112.00 delivered quite some time ago. (Very well worth it!) I was searching for the set and bored with time on my hands so I did a Google search on "Complete Galaxy Recordings" and checked out each suggested link. At 10+ pages in I discovered some obscure liquidator who was selling 3 or 4 copies. I took a shot on it and they came through.

There was some guy that appeared to have an endless supply of this set on eBay a while back, as he continually listed one copy after another for months on end.

I'll bet he bought in bulk off of zweitausendeins, who had this set for about 30 euros, back in the day !

yup, that's how I got it... crazy that was, holy holy!

but that was the small ("cube" they call it, I think) version, with a scaled down booklet and mini type for the information, and none of the liners, just bare-bones, discography, tracklist and all in b/w, even the miniature pics of the original albums... not that I cared much back then, as I was still unfamiliar with most of Pepper's work, but now, as I grew to love his music, I'd of course prefer having the big box with large thick book and all...

What do you mean, you got the LP-sized US box from 2001, not the ZYX version?! But that was later on I think, and those cost somewhat more, no? might be that mine as only 20 or 25€ but I can't remember... and in the end the music is what I *really* want to have, so... but I'd still feel somewhat cheated...

What do you mean, you got the LP-sized US box from 2001, not the ZYX version?! But that was later on I think, and those cost somewhat more, no? might be that mine as only 20 or 25€ but I can't remember... and in the end the music is what I *really* want to have, so... but I'd still feel somewhat cheated...

I, too, got the large box from Zweitausendeins - didn't know there was a cubes edition of this one.

I, too, got the large box from Zweitausendeins - didn't know there was a cubes edition of this one.

My 2001 Fantasy boxes were as follows, given the extreme cheapness of all of these I wasn't complaining.

Bill Evans- Disc boxes only with inserts, no booklet

Sonny Rollins- Disc boxes only with inserts, no booklet

Monk Prestige- ZYX cube

Montgomery Riverside- big box

Mingus Debut - big box

Art Pepper Galaxy- cube

The first time I bought one of these sets from zwei quite a few years ago (Coltrane) it was the cubes that they sent. The second time round though every single one was a big box with the booklets. I managed to snag the Pepper, Mingus, Montgomery, Monk, Coltrane and both Bill Evans's. It was a fellow board member here on org and living in Germany I believe who let everyone know these were available. At the time they were also selling 30 euro Euro-Mosaics too (which went like hot cakes).

ah, yes - now I remember - I also bought the Mingus Debut when they did the second round and had the big boxes... hm, seems I was wise back then not to replace any of the sets I have already.

my list looks similar to clunky's:

- Mingus Debut (big box)

- Tatum Solo (disk cases only)

- Tatum Group (cube)

- Evans Fantasy (cube)

- Evans Riverside (disk cases only)

- Pepper Galaxy (cube)

- Monk Riverside (disk cases only)

seems it depended on luck and coincidence if you ended up with a "disc cases only" or a "cube" box back then...

Set up a saved search for "Art Pepper Complete Galaxy" at eBay to email you whenever one gets listed. You can save up to 100 searches this way. It took me about three years of getting outbid, but I finally got a near-mint copy of the Pepper set there recently for about $85 including shipping.

There was some guy that appeared to have an endless supply of this set on eBay a while back, as he continually listed one copy after another for months on end. I figured it was too good to be true, but although his feedback was mixed (many happy buyers, but also quite a few people saying "lost in the mail but seller issued refund"), he did have multiple feedback entries from various bidders who appeared to have actually received copies. I finally bid on one and won it at a pretty reasonable price, but after two months and no Art in sight, sure enough the seller claimed it was lost in the mail and refunded my money.

Yeah , I know this seller i won this box for about $120 . Never Saw it ...waited a couple weeks.... nothing , contacted the guy he wouldn't respond , put in a complaint to Paypal and received an email from him within an hour.

Then without asking he refunded my money and emailed me saying he did mail it out and when i received it to please

paypal him back.

Needless to say i never received the box .....................still waiting