Mandrill

Hot Ptah

Somehow the band Mandrill completely escaped me during the 1970s. I just heard their first album and like it. Does anyone else have any thoughts about Mandrill, and any recommendations for other worthy Mandrill albums? Is there a compilation which captures all or most of their best recorded moments?

1415710.jpg

Edited by Hot Ptah

A great bunch of guys and a band I always enjoyed hearing live. When Stereo Review asked me to do a piece on Mandrill (in the early 70s), the entire group came to my apartment for a group interview. I had bought a gallon of Almadén and it wasn't long before we needed another bottle. One of the Wilson brothers said something about being hungry, so we also ordered gobs of food from Chicken Delight (that dates it!). To abbreviate a long story, Mandrill stayed 'till midnight, we had a great time—a party, actually, and there was nothing usable on my tape, just a lot a talking and laughing!

A week or so later, one of the Wilson brothers called and asked me if I wanted to have another try, this time at their place (a loft in the Chelsea area). Well, this time they brought out the wine and food, and we ended up having another party! Never did get the piece done, but I made good friends and we kept in touch, even after they moved to California.

BTW, I asked them where the name, Mandrill, came from. One of the Wilson brothers told me that he was at the Central Park Zoo on a sunny day. "This mandrill came out and its red ass lit up in the sun, so that had to be the groups name." Here's another of their albums, a 2-LP set:

Mandrilland.jpgMandrillback.jpg

Mandrillpanorama.jpg

I know I didn't really answer your question, but at least you are not alone with your enthusiasm for Mandrill.

Edited by Christiern

Thanks for those posts. I will now seek out all of the Mandrill albums. Their first album was not difficult to find on CD as a reissue.

Their first album strikes me as a lively, soulful, ambitious album. Delightful is the word I would use to describe it. I hear elements derived from earliest Chicago and earliest Santana, but with a lot more soul and better jazz chops. But the album has a unique feeling, which makes earliest Chicago and earliest Santana both sound ponderous by comparison.

Great story, Chris!

Edited by Hot Ptah

• 4 weeks later...