Baritone Saxophonists

Late

Listening to Lars Gullin right now, I'm thinking all things baritone. Here are some questions to start a discussion:

• When you reach for a recording with a baritone saxophonist on it, what album, or artist, do you find yourself most commonly reaching for?

• What baritone saxophonist do you wish had recorded more? In what type of setting?

• Are there any great baritone saxophonists out there that you think are under-recognized, or not recognized at all?

• Are there any baritone saxophone-led recordings that you would personally consider a "hidden gem" in the vast sea of improvised recordings?

bildjournalen56.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoy Lars Gullin as well, and wish I had more of his work at hand to play. I also reach for Harry Carney a lot (as an Ellington Orchestra member; precious little that he did as a leader; I don't think I have any except the Granz date). And I also like Mulligan, have a growing collection of his work.

Pepper Adams as a modern hardbop and beyond player is who I think of when I think of modern baritone. Brignola is good, Smulyan is good, Bluette is good. . .Pepper is BOSS.

Pepper Adams as a modern hardbop and beyond player is who I think of when I think of modern baritone. Brignola is good, Smulyan is good, Bluette is good. . .Pepper is BOSS.

Me too. Actually, I really don't have all that many recordings with Bari, come to think of it. Probably fully half of what I got is stuff with Pepper.

Early Ronnie Cuber was a BLAST! The stuff w/Benson & Lonnie Smith, sure, but going back earlier, he had a feature on "The Lady's In Love" off of Maynard's COLOR HIM WILD album on Mainstream that is just a balls-out burnfest. WHOOO!

I also got a video of him w/Lionel Hampton's band sometime in the mid-60s, on some TV big band dance show, and he stretches out on "Flying Home". Lemme tell you, that puppy ROCKS! The guy looks to be about 12 feet tall, weighing in at about 25 pounds, with fingers the length of well-fed tapeworms, and he is BLOWING, rocking the house in a totally hip fashion that finds (or maybe even INVENTS) the common ground between Illinois Jacquet & Pepper Adams. Lionel, never one to miss an opportunity to let a good groove go on and get mo'better, just lets him go, and go he does. Easily one of the best examples of bebop-inspired pure party music I've ever come across.

But I guess the guy mellowed out, went into the studios, etc, you know the rest. What little I've heard of him over the last 25 years or so has still been good, but DAMN, when he was a kid, relatively speaking, he was a DANGEROUS motherfucker!

When you reach for a recording with a baritone saxophonist on it, what album, or artist, do you find yourself most commonly reaching for?

Mulligan, Adams, Brignola, in that order

• Are there any baritone saxophone-led recordings that you would personally consider a "hidden gem" in the vast sea of improvised recordings?

Cecil Payne's Delmark recordings from the '90's.

Good mentions guys. Cuber was really burning on those Hampton tracks on video. . . . I really like his Xanadus as well.

And Payne was someone I should have mentioned. I think his recordings as a leader really should be heard more, the Delmarks, the Charlie Parker Records, the Stash, and more (?) . . . Good call.

John Surman is the baritone player I've always loved most.

Always enjoyed Harry Carney too.

I've recently become interested by Pepper Adams having heard him on the Chamber Select. The Byrd/Adams Mosaic fell through my door yesterday (thanks to recommendations elsewhere on this board). I've played disc one three times so far and am loving the setting and Adam's fruity playing.

A nice baritoney weekend ahead.

In many ways, my singlemost favorite Bari solo is the one that Fathead plays on Ray Charles' "Greenbacks". Not particularly "heavy" or anything like that in terms of chops or vocabulary, but a beautifully structured, organically balanced 12 bars that has a Zen-like perfection to it. If it were THAT simple, everybody could do it.

Cecil Payne has an oddly wonderful one-pitch-only solo (literally) on Coleman Hawkins' recording of "The Big Head." Just that one note, repeated, hammering everyone's bones. Then Hawk takes it up and out with the same riff.

I also dig Payne's playing on the original recording of "Little Niles."

I'm also a big Pepper Adams fan, but has anybody mentioned Serge Chaloff? He did some GREAT stuff!

Also, there's some nice bari work on Soul Mates, Charlie Rouse's last album I believe, played by Sahib Shihab in burning fashion. I agree, too, that Cecil Payne deserves more attention.

Finally somebody mentioned Serge! I was also going to put in a thumbs up for Sahib Shihab. His album CONVERSATIONS on Black Lion is a favorite as well as JAZZ SAHIB (w/Bill Evans, Oscar Pettiford, Phil Woods and Benny Golson!) on Savoy. Cecil Payne is wonderful and Pepper IS the boss!

I think Serge is my favorite. However, I won't be to exclusive. I love the sound of the Bari, and played well by almost anyone I'm a sucker for. Cuber w/organ is a match made in heaven. There's also a guy here in town who plays with me a couple times a month...Phillipe Vieux. Philipe played with Horace Silver on the road...during the "hardbop grandpop" tour, subbing for Cuber since he couldn't tour with Horace to support that record. Anyway, Phillipe is a BAAADDD cat. I dig him a lot.

This might be my very favorite bari sax disc:

B000009OHC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Then the ones mentioned already: Mulligan (also a growing collection in my house), Adams (though I have none of his leader dates so far, but he shows up on so many great albums), Tate Houston (that date with Curtis Fuller is great), Cecil Payne (I just listened to some of those Tadd Dameron Big Ten broadcasts again - he does some excellent playing there).

Then a new name: Bob Gordon - check out his recordings with Jack Montrose.

And the stray european (besides Surman, who sure is a very individualist musician, who I dig quite a little): Carlo Actis Dato (of Italian Instabile fame).

ubu

Greatest Bari players ever - Pepper Adams & Nick Brignola. I'm a HUGE Brignola fan. He never played a wrong note.

Favorite Albuns: Pepper & Brignola - Baritone Maddness (BeeHive), Serge Chaloff Blue Serge (BN); Nick Brignola - On a different level (Reservior) - all the tracks on this Cd are great, but checkout "Backwoods Song" - a duet with Dave Holland - AMAZING!

"New" Bari Players I really want to hear more of their work:

- Jim Hartog (where is he? )

- Claire Daly (2 lovely albums on Koch. a Mulligan disciple)

- Chris Mitchell (a nice one w/ Phil woods on Koch. AMG doesn't even have an entry for him)

"Old" guys I wished they recorded more:

- Bill Perking on Bari. "Warm Moods" is a beaut.

- Leo Parker (besides the 2 BNs, I really like his Chess and Parrot recordings of the early 50s)

- Harry Carney outside of Duke's band.

All of those previously mentioned, Serge, Pepper, Mulligan, are really great. One name that I would like to throw into the mix though is Gil Melle. I had never heard his stuff until the 10" series came out but man he was really creative and had a great sound on bari.IMHO

If you haven't listened to Gil, give him a listen. I think he merits consideration.

Ya'know, I don't know whatever became of Bruce Johnston, and I didn't care for New York Mary AT ALL, but he played some pretty spirited bari w/Maynard in the early 70s and gave a good showing on Braxton's Arista big band album, so i figure that anybody who can cover that much ground sucessfully doesn't deserve to be forgotten.

Besides, he played bari to where it sounded like Gene Ammons. Gotta love THAT!

My favorite, especially for hard bop, is Pepper Adams by a wide margin. Gerry Mulligan is of course outstanding, and more broad in his style; a fabulous musician all-round. My Dad and I always liked the "Blue Serge" LP after I found a used copy in a flea market. It's sad that Serge did not make more records.

My old woodwind book, "Woodwind Instruments and Their History", by Anthony Baines, discusses the members of the sax family; when he came to the baritone, he really praised Harry Carney's amazingly delicate control. He said that it was one of the most expressive sounds on a woodwind instrument.

Beyond these guys, and a few other good ones, I generally don't welcome the instrument on a session, as the also-rans on it just make an unpleasant, raspy sound. I also prefer a sax section not to have one, normally, as my favorite one is the Hymie Scherzer-led Benny Goodman section. The absence of a baritone is a major part of its sound.

I love the big pipe. The second Mosaic I bought was the Chaloff and only because he played the baritone...I'd never actually heard him and I only knew of him as a Herdsman. He's become a particular favorite. However, of all the bari players who have been rightfully mentioned in this thread, my numero uno is Lars Gullin. Such a unique, light and airy sound, especially considering the instrument he's playing. I'm particularly fond of his five CD's on the Swedish Dragon label.

Put me amongst the Mulligan Masses and in the Carney Corner as well. As far as Pepper Adams goes, though, I'm not sure I've yet been able to acquire that taste. I have a lot of his stuff, but there something about that too raspy sound that just doesn't get over with me.

Up over and out.

I always go for Hamiett Bluiett first, then Serge Chaloff. No one else comes close, but I also don't have any Pepper Adams albums, although I intend to rectify that soon. I really just started getting into Mulligan. And I have no Brignola.

I really like several of Bluiett's albums, including the ones with Khalil El 'Zabar and with D.D. Jackson.