Jim Hall 'Jazz Guitar' on Pacific Jazz

Daniel A

If AMG is to be believed there's a quite a story following the initial release of this album:

Jim Hall's debut as a leader has a somewhat tortured history. The original LP had ten tracks, though producer Richard Bock edited six of them for a later pressing and also inexplicably overdubbed Larry Bunker's drums (he wasn't originally present) on a third pressing. Over time the complete versions of the six edited tunes were lost or discarded, and the master of "This Is New" suffered the same fate. By the time of this 1988 reissue, none of the missing material could be located, although "Too Close for Comfort" and a longer alternate take of "Things Ain't What They Used to Be," both of which had been issued on separate Pacific Jazz anthologies but not on the original LP or subsequent reissues, were added to the CD, which has long since lapsed from print as well. The music deserved a better fate. Jim Hall grew into one of the most respected guitarists in jazz, and his original concept was damaged by Bock's senseless tinkering, since it was the solos of bassist Red Mitchell and pianist Carl Perkins (whose discography is already limited enough due to his premature death) that shortened or removed by the original producer. Nevertheless, what remains is still a valuable introduction to the long, successful career of Jim Hall. The music sticks to familiar standards from the swing era and is often low key, much like the man himself. A waltzing "Thanks for the Memory" is a fine example of Hall's lyricism, while other unedited songs, like the lively "9:20 Special," gives us a glimpse of what the overall album sound might have been like. The original LP will continue to command high prices in jazz auctions, but this CD will also command a premium unless it is eventually reissued, even in its shortened form. — Ken Dryden

i-1.JPG

It appears to have been reissued recently in Japan, though, and - if the description is to be trusted - without the added drumming of Larry Bunker:

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/gako-oku/Hall.htm

I spotted a NM copy of what I believe is the original issue in a shop today. It wasn't priced yet because the deal with the previous owner wasn't completed, and hence it was not for sale, but the dealer estimated that it would be somewhere around 33 Euro ($40). A fair price?

Michael Cuscuna in the liner notes to the 1988 Pacific Jazz CD reissue wrote:

Since the recording date, some frustrating things have happened to the master tapes. Soon after the album was released on Pacific Jazz, producer Dick Bock saw fit to go in and edit six of the ten selections for the second pressing of the lp. Only the edited versions survive. Somewhere along the way, the master tape of 'This Is Always' was removed from the album. Then the remaining material was reissued in the early sixties when Larry Bunker overdubbed on drums!

For this compact disc, we have retrieved nine of the original selections (unfortunately with the edits and without 'This Is Always') and added an alternate take of 'Things Ain't What They Used To Be' and a version of 'Too Close for Comfort', both of which were issued on Pacific Jazz a few years later.

Wondered at that time why Cuscuna had not been able to get a copy of the original LP to complete the CD tracks to their more complete presentation.

Pacific Jazz at the time often 'enhanced' their copies. They added Bill Perkins and Jimmy Giuffre contributions to the original Chet Baker quartet date that appeared as 'Prett/Groovy'.

Thanks for the info, John and Brownie. Seems like a safe bet to go for the original LP after all. I'm just uncertain how to know if it's the edited or unedited release? It seems that there was one release with edited tracks before Larry Bunker was dubbed in. I suppose I could check the timing of the tracks and compare them with what AMG gives for the CD issue.

Regarding the Japanese CD it does not include 'This Is Always', which allegedly appeared on the original LP. That suggests that it's taken from the same tapes as the US 1988 CD release. It is labelled as 'Jazz Guitar +1', apparently because it includes one bonus track, but it's nevertheless a bit misleading since it also lacks one track from the original album.

Edited by Daniel A

A Carl Perkins discography, found here, seems to indicate that the edited versions were released on the Japanese CD, too. However, there appears to be correct Japanese LPs around; at least the "lost" track 'This Is Always' appears on a few of them.

Look at this mess:

Date: January 10, 1957

ldr - Jim Hall; g - Jim Hall; p - Carl Perkins; b - Red Mitchell

a.  Stompin' At The Savoy - 04:01  (Benny Goodman, Edgar Sampson, Chick Webb)

Blue Note (Eu.) CD: 8 54363 2 - Blue York Blue York

Pacific Jazz CD: CDP 7 46851 2 - Jazz Guitar: Jim Hall

Pacific Jazz (Jpn.) CD: CJ28-5153 - Jazz Guitar: Jim Hall

Giants of Jazz (It.) CD: 53218 - Jim Hall

Fontana LP 12": 883271JCY

Liberty (Jpn.) LP 12": LLJ 70061

EMI (Eng.) LP 12": WP 4

Blue Note (Jpn.) LP 12": W 5511 - The Ages of Jazz Vol. 11: Django - Modern Jazz Guitar

Pacific Jazz LP 12": PJ 1227 - Jazz Guitar: Jim Hall

World Pacific LP 12": WP 1227 - Jazz Guitar: Jim Hall

Pacific Jazz LP 12": PJ/ST 79 - Jazz Guitar: Jim Hall

Pacific Jazz (Jpn.) LP 12": GXF 3115 - Jazz Guitar: Jim Hall

Pacific Jazz (Jpn.) LP 12": K23P-6704 - Jazz Guitar: Jim Hall 

b.  Things Ain't What They Used To Be - 04:41  (Mercer Ellington, Ted Parsons)

Blue Note (Jpn.) CD: CJ28-5030 - Jazzlife Presents the Heart of Jazz

c.  Things Ain't What They Used To Be - 05:44  (Mercer Ellington, Ted Parsons)

Giants of Jazz (It.) CD: 53266 - Red Mitchell

Pacific Jazz LP 12": JWC 507 - Jazz West Coast, Vol. 3 

d.  This Is Always  (Mack Gordon, Harry Warren, Bregman)

e.  Thanks For The Memory - 05:12  (Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin)

f.  Tangerine - 03:53  (Johnny Mercer, Victor Schertzinger)

Blue Note (Jpn.) CD: CJ28-5177 - Jazz On a Sunny Afternoon

g.  Stella By Starlight - 03:07  (Ned Washington, Victor Young)

Blue Note (Jpn.) LP 12": W 5511 - The Ages of Jazz Vol. 11: Django - Modern Jazz Guitar

h.  9:20 Special - 05:41  (Earl Warren, William Engvick)

i.  Deep In A Dream - 04:32  (Jimmy Van Heusen, Ed DeLange)

j.  Look For The Silver Lining - 03:11  (Jerome Kern, Buddy DeSylva)

k.  Seven Come Eleven - 03:50  (Charlie Christian, Benny Goodman)

Blue Note CD: CDP 7 96581 2 - Blue Guitar

l.  Too Close For Comfort - 04:23  (Jerry Bock, Lawrence Holofoener, George David Weiss)

Jazz West Coast LP 12": JWC 506 - Pianists Galore

Jazz West Coast (Jpn.) LP 12": K18P-9223 - Pianists Galore 

Part of this session was recorded on January 24, 1957. The versions of Stompin' At the Savoy, Things Ain't What They Used To Be (master, shorter version), Tangerine, Stella By Starlight, Look for the Silver Lining and Seven Come Eleven present on the CD reissue Pacific Jazz 46851 are edited versions of those originally issued on LP PJ 1227. At the time of the CD reissue (1988), the complete versions of these tracks could not be found. The track timings shown are for the shorter versions. Pacific Jazz PJ/ST 79 (1963 issue) has drummer Larry Bunker dubbed in to the original recordings.

As I understand there was a first issue with unedited versions. It should be possible to dub from an LP in decent condition ....

There was another session for Pacific Jazz with Jim Hall, Red Mitchell and the legendary Red Kelly, A Modest Trio That's even rarer. Would be an excellent choice for another Pacific Jazz Connoisseur series.

Man, that is a mess! Here's how Mundo is listing the current Japanese edition on compact disc (sadly without track times):

Jazz Guitar

brand-new CD (Pacific Jazz TOCJ-9318)

recorded on January 10 & 24, 1957

limited LP style paper sleeve edition

24bit remaster +1 bonus track

1. Stomping At The Savoy

2. Things Ain't What They Used To Be

3. Thanks For The Memory

4. Tangerine

5. Stella By Starlight

6. 9:20 Special

7. Deep In A Dream

8. Look For The Silver Lining

9. Seven Come Eleven

10. Too Close For Comfort (bonus track)

There was another session for Pacific Jazz with Jim Hall, Red Mitchell and the legendary Red Kelly, A Modest Trio That's even rarer. Would be an excellent choice for another Pacific Jazz Connoisseur series.

That was an excellent date (I give it a slight preference to the 'Jazz Guitar' session). Very spontaneous and featuring Red Mitchell on piano. OK he was not a real match to Carl Perkins but he could play the 88.

Hall, Mitchell and Kelly obviously had fun recording this. I have a Japanese LP issue of it. The album title is 'Good Friday Blues'. This was the original title. May be wrong but think the 'Modest Trio' title was given by the Pacific Jazz people to one of its reissue reincarnation. The album does not seem to have seen the light in CD form.

That was an excellent date (I give it a slight preference to the 'Jazz Guitar' session). Very spontaneous and featuring Red Mitchell on piano. OK he was not a real match to Carl Perkins but he could play the 88.

Hall, Mitchell and Kelly obviously had fun recording this. I have a Japanese LP issue of it. The album title is 'Good Friday Blues'. This was the original title. May be wrong but think the 'Modest Trio' title was given by the Pacific Jazz people to one of its reissue reincarnation. The album does not seem to have seen the light in CD form.

I believe the actual title is GOOD FRIDAY BLUES: THE MODEST JAZZ TRIO and it was available on cd as a Japanese import in the early 1990s.

• 4 months later...

B00005M6I6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I finally picked this one up from Mr. Tanno, and am glad I did. What a fine session, with Hall, as I hear his playing on this date, swaggering just a bit more than he did on later sessions from this era. I listened to this three times yesterday, and though I wasn't specifically listening for the edits, they never jumped out at me like Bock edits sometimes do. It's too bad, of course, that this latest version couldn't include those edited-out Perkins and Mitchell solos. It seems strange that the Japanese market didn't, or couldn't, secure a copy of the original vinyl for CD transfer. Still, it's great to have this edition around (though I'm guessing it too will go OOP before long), and I have to say that Ron McMaster, though some of his signature brightness is on this remaster, did especially fine work on this one — similar, as I hear it, to what Rudy might have done for a remaster job. Overall, a :tup on the remaster, and countless :tup 's for the music.

(Now watch ... Michael Cuscuna will "discover" the original tapes for this session just in time for this year's October Connoisseur batch ... and will have Malcolm Addey do the remastering. ^_^ )

Dick Bock removed Baker's singing ... if you did not know the original version of these tracks, you would never know that "Pretty/Groovy" wasn't the original. The truth be told, this is not quite the messup you would think, and both Perkins and Giuffre play some fine, if mellow, solos.... I wonder if that album will ever be released as such in the U.S.? I know that it was once available as a Japanese CD issue.

Garth.

It seems strange that the Japanese market didn't, or couldn't, secure a copy of the original vinyl for CD transfer. .....

(Now watch ... Michael Cuscuna will "discover" the original tapes for this session just in time for this year's October Connoisseur batch ... and will have Malcolm Addey do the remastering. ^_^ )

I doubt the original tapes will be found, as Richard Bock edited them and not a copy, and the snippets are lost forever. The only chance to hear the complete versions would be, as I posted above, a first issue LP in good condition. They probably couldn't find one, as Cuscuna is not afraid to use one when it's the only source for tracks otherwise unavailable.

Anyone here having a first edition copy with "This Is Always" and the longer versions should contact Cuscuna immediately!

It seems strange that the Japanese market didn't, or couldn't, secure a copy of the original vinyl for CD transfer.

The only chance to hear the complete versions would be, as I posted above, a first issue LP in good condition. They probably couldn't find one, as Cuscuna is not afraid to use one when it's the only source for tracks otherwise unavailable.

Gotcha. But doesn't that seem strange ... that EMI, rulers of the world, couldn't locate an original pressing of this album? Surely Cuscuna's in the know with several serious collectors who have, or have access to, that first glorious platter. And, if not, surely someone who did have it would contact him were the "looking for" shout made.

Still, glad to have this particular version to spin.

But doesn't that seem strange ... that EMI, rulers of the world, couldn't locate an original pressing of this album? Surely Cuscuna's in the know with several serious collectors who have, or have access to, that first glorious platter. And, if not, surely someone who did have it would contact him were the "looking for" shout made.

My thoughts exactly!

Dick Bock removed Baker's singing ... if you did not know the original version of these tracks, you would never know that "Pretty/Groovy" wasn't the original. The truth be told, this is not quite the messup you would think, and both Perkins and Giuffre play some fine, if mellow, solos.... I wonder if that album will ever be released as such in the U.S.? I know that it was once available as a Japanese CD issue.

Garth.

Weren't the Baker tracks without vocals and overdubbed horns reissued on the "Young Chet" compilation? (Which also had the additional tunes to "Baker & Crew").

That Hall album(s) would really be some I'd like to hear! Thanks everybody for sharing your knowledge!

ubu

Damn, I bought "Jazz Guitar" back when it came out, but that was a time when I played my LPs on a living room console that had a tone arm that must have weighed five pounds. Whether that or something else did it in I don't recall, but I no longer had the LP when the CD emerged and was crestfallen when I noticed what was missing (not that what remained wasn't worth having). Maybe my experience is emblematic of what happened to most copies of the original "Jazz Guitar" LP, though it's hard to imagine that there isn't at least one crazed collector sitting in an underground bunker with a mint copy.

• 2 months later...

Dredging this thread up because I wanted to share my good find...found this album in a used store for $29 bucks, the vinyl is in very good condition although the cover has a lot of wear (still not terrible).

So this gets more interesting - the label on my copy is an old World Pacific label, not Pacific Jazz, even though the sleeve says only "Pacific Jazz Enterprises" and the number on the cover (as well as on the label) is PJ 1227.

But my LP sure appears to be an original pressing since all the tracks that were in abbreviated form on the CD reissue are present in their longer versions.

So:

1. Was the original pressing on World Pacific, not Pacific Jazz?

2. Or, was there some second or later pressing under the World Pacific imprint that included the original tracks without overdubs that hasn't been discussed here?

Curiouser and curiouser...

I'm pretty sure that it came out originally on Pacific Jazz. I believe that label didn't mutate into World Pacific until 1958 (supporting that memory is another one -- PJ albums were thickish and kinda heavy, a la most sleeves of the time (BN for example), but WP sleeves were lighter and thinner, and the copy of "Jazz Guitar" I had was of the first sort. Thus, I'd say yes to (1) and (2). Dick Bock's dicking around with the material probably began with a later WP issue. Whatever, you're a lucky man.