How Walkable Is Your Neighborhood?

catesta

also only a 40 for me; but they list the nearest grocery store at 30 km when it's in fact 50 meters; similarly the japanese bookstore 60 km from here in Düsseldorf is not the best option for books (meaning the miss all the bookstores here as well as in Cologne ?!)

Yes, similar here... nearest grocery store is some Aldi or some such... there must be at least 100 stores inside of Zurich where you can get anything any effing Aldi has to offer, but then I assume anything smaller than Aldi is beneath Googles megalomaniac radar - and I bet it's better if it remains like that! :ph34r:

That's pretty pathetic... I guess everything over half a mile is beyond walkability in the US or what?

My place gets a 40 only, but I consider everything I need within walking distance - at least three grocery stores, farmacies, drug stores, coffeess, one of the pizza restaurants in town, fancy bars (which I don't visit), sushi and mexican places (which I don't visit, either), etc etc. The site does contain some relevant hits for my neighbourhood, but it misses at least half of them... anyway, depends how you define "walkable", really... sometimes I prefer walking home on weekends or evenings, even if that means I'm walking for 40 or 45 minutes. So with that range and the neatness of Zurich, I'm easily in walking distance from the town centre :)

Points well taken. My neighborhood is sadly portrayed by the site. But walk much over half a mile. . . . I average about four miles of walking a day. And there are many options not listed on this site to walk to, bakeries, restaurants, shops and parks.

My neigborhood gets an 89. Frankly, I'd rate it in the 90's. Add a much-needed bookstore, some large trees, and re-open the Alexandria Theater and I'd rate it 99.

Alexandria Theater--wow, you live close to me. I'm right through the park in the Sunset. You are still walking distance to Green Apple Bookstore--one of my favorites! And for big trees, you have Golden Gate Park of course. I agree that it could rank higher...

My neigborhood gets an 89. Frankly, I'd rate it in the 90's. Add a much-needed bookstore, some large trees, and re-open the Alexandria Theater and I'd rate it 99.

Alexandria Theater--wow, you live close to me. I'm right through the park in the Sunset. You are still walking distance to Green Apple Bookstore--one of my favorites! And for big trees, you have Golden Gate Park of course. I agree that it could rank higher...

Woah.

Yeah, my wife and I walked to Green Apple last weekend, but at 18 blocks it's a bit of a hike. I'd like a decent bookstore within 5 or 6 blocks, ideally.

(I used to live in Brookline, MA, where I was really spoiled---the Brookline Booksmith (a truly terrific little bookstore) was just 3 1/2 blocks away, and the Coolidge Corner Theater was across the street from the Booksmith. There was an excellent video store too...and shady trees everywhere! Ah, New England!)