Richard Wright RIP (Pink Floyd)

Rooster_Ties

From the BBC. It's so short, I'm going to quote it in full...

Floyd founder Wright dies at 65

Pink Floyd keyboard player Richard Wright has died at the age of 65 after battling cancer, his spokesman has said.

The group released their first record in 1967 with Wright appearing alongside lead guitarist Syd Barrett, Roger Waters and Nick Mason.

ly108.jpg_320_320_0_9223372036854775000_0_1_0.jpg

RIP, Rick Wright

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Very sad. He was seriously overshadowed by Barrett's insanity, Water's lyrics and ego, and Gilmour's guitar god status, but the fact is that he was a GREAT keyboard player. A few years ago, I rebought a big chunk of the PF catalogue (which I used to own in high school, but had since pawned in the interests of pursuing more "mature" interests) and I was very impressed with Wright when I heard their stuff again. He and Mason were the anchors of that band.

RIP

Very sad. He was seriously overshadowed by Barrett's insanity, Water's lyrics and ego, and Gilmour's guitar god status, but the fact is that he was a GREAT keyboard player. A few years ago, I rebought a big chunk of the PF catalogue (which I used to own in high school, but had since pawned in the interests of pursuing more "mature" interests) and I was very impressed with Wright when I heard their stuff again. He and Mason were the anchors of that band.

RIP

Last year I bought the early pre-Meddle albums that I didn't own on CD to refresh my memory. This sucks...

RIP

Last year I bought the early pre-Meddle albums that I didn't own on CD to refresh my memory. This sucks...

I don't know about you, but I don't think I really noticed either Wright or Mason when I was a kid. I think getting into jazz really opened my ears to their contribution...

He and Mason were the anchors of that band.

RIP

Couldn't agree more. Got Piper, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here lined up for the rest of the day.

A lasting memory will always be the Live 8 concert and a close-up they got of Rick Wright playing the piano during "Wish You Were Here." Sent chills down my spine.

RIP, and thanks for the wonderful music.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I really noticed either Wright or Mason when I was a kid. I think getting into jazz really opened my ears to their contribution...

It was pretty obvious to me in the '70s that his keyboard sound was essential to their pre-Animals sound. (I haven't heard Animals in a long while).

Edited by 7/4

Never flash but incredibly atmospheric.

Best exemplified for me (early PF) by the live version of Astronomy Domine where he takes his solo after the guitar. His organ lines follows the chorus effect with a fading and rising that creates that other-worldly atmosphere.

Also - I was listening to "Young Lust" yesterday and his organ padding is subtle but key to that song, not just Gilmour's solo. Something I missed before.

Never flash but incredibly atmospheric.

Best exemplified for me (early PF) by the live version of Astronomy Domine where he takes his solo after the guitar. His organ lines follows the chorus effect with a fading and rising that creates that other-worldly atmosphere.

I was on a Messiaen binge last month and I came across something...can't remember what...that took me straight to the organ sound of the live album of 'Umma Gumma'.

I always loved the swirling space age pastoralism of 'Cirrus Minor' - an English country meadow transported to Jupiter.

I might be wrong, but I get the impression that you had to work harder to generate strange effects on an organ compared with a later synth.

I thought his attempt at a piano concerto in his part of Umma Gumma was a bit bombastic, but his organ playing was fine.

There's an interview with Gilmour in a recent Mojo magazine where he comments on how bemused he was at having to do those solo sets. Maybe it was the same with Wright. 10 minutes to fill - out come all the bits and bobs from his training. There's certainly some very 'Romantic' piano...all a bit Rachmaninov (or maybe Addinsell).