Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting LP I found last week for $10: "Initial Visit" by E. Parker McDougal from 1975 on Grits records. I'm not familiar with him, but it was still sealed and it is subtitled "Chicago Hard-Core jazz" and why not take a chance?

The main players are (there are some personnel changes on a few tracks):

Jay J. Peters - Tenor Sax

E. Parker McDougal - Tenor Sax

Willie Pickens - Piano

Dan Shapera - Bass

Steve McCall - Drums

This is my first listen, but it is a nice, straight-ahead jazz session. Nothing fancy but good playing. I wish some of the songs were longer, because it seems like they fade out before they get really going.

Interesting LP I found last week for $10: "Initial Visit" by E. Parker McDougal from 1975 on Grits records. I'm not familiar with him, but it was still sealed and it is subtitled "Chicago Hard-Core jazz" and why not take a chance?

The main players are (there are some personnel changes on a few tracks):

Jay J. Peters - Tenor Sax

E. Parker McDougal - Tenor Sax

Willie Pickens - Piano

Dan Shapera - Bass

Steve McCall - Drums

This is my first listen, but it is a nice, straight-ahead jazz session. Nothing fancy but good playing. I wish some of the songs were longer, because it seems like they fade out before they get really going.

I've got a 45 RPM single from that session - picked up at the Jazz Record Mart in Chicago. I agree with your assessment: good, but not earth-shattering.

• 2 weeks later...

Just made an intriguing find. I was in an antique store today, trolling for 78s. Didn't find any 78s, but there was a box of home-recorded 33 1/3 RPM discs, apparently from the late 1940s. There were about 50 records in the box, and many of the labels and/or sleeves were marked - often with just song titles, but sometimes with artists. I bought three of the most interesting-looking, for five bucks.

Out of the six sides, one was blank, and three were just recordings of DJ/record shows from Atlanta radio station WSB. But two of the sides were recordings of NBC broadcasts with live bands. One side has two tunes each by the Adrian Rollini Trio and guitarist/vocalist Mary Osborne. The other side is the Latin band of Noro Morales. Rollini was an amazing bass saxophonist back in the 1920s, but had switched over to vibes by this point. The Osborne tunes feature her singing, but there are glimpses of her Charlie Christian-styled guitar. The Morales broadcast has a sappy ballad medley along with a good samba and an absolutely smoking "Caramba Bebop."

With the possible exception of "Caramba Bebop," none of this music is earth-shattering, but it's a cool experience to hear these non-commercial recordings. Whoever made these recordings was a pretty serious hobbyist with good equipment and know-how; the sound is excellent, although the Rollini/Osborne side has a lot of surface noise. I'm going to go back tomorrow and look through the box more carefully to see what else I can come up with.

Just picked a mint copy of Roland Hanna, New York Jazz Quartet in Chicago, Beehive 7013 for $4.00. Mine didn't have any inserts. Anybody know if this originally came with any inserts?

How lucky you are!

This album has been on my radar for a long, long time. Would have gotten this with or without inserts!

Was at a somewhat local CD/record store last weekend and picked up the following:

MERCURY VSOP 4CD boxset - $8.99 (no OBI strip, not sure if there was one - plus there's no back tray insert - again not sure if there ever was one)

SUN RA - Lanquidity - $5.99

Top it off, there was a downtown sidewalk sale, so they took 25% off of the prices above, so the VSOP cost about $6.74 - WOOHOO!!!

Anyone have a scan of the VSOP back insert, i fthere is one?

Just made an intriguing find. I was in an antique store today, trolling for 78s. Didn't find any 78s, but there was a box of home-recorded 33 1/3 RPM discs, apparently from the late 1940s. There were about 50 records in the box, and many of the labels and/or sleeves were marked - often with just song titles, but sometimes with artists. I bought three of the most interesting-looking, for five bucks.

Out of the six sides, one was blank, and three were just recordings of DJ/record shows from Atlanta radio station WSB. But two of the sides were recordings of NBC broadcasts with live bands. One side has two tunes each by the Adrian Rollini Trio and guitarist/vocalist Mary Osborne. The other side is the Latin band of Noro Morales. Rollini was an amazing bass saxophonist back in the 1920s, but had switched over to vibes by this point. The Osborne tunes feature her singing, but there are glimpses of her Charlie Christian-styled guitar. The Morales broadcast has a sappy ballad medley along with a good samba and an absolutely smoking "Caramba Bebop."

With the possible exception of "Caramba Bebop," none of this music is earth-shattering, but it's a cool experience to hear these non-commercial recordings. Whoever made these recordings was a pretty serious hobbyist with good equipment and know-how; the sound is excellent, although the Rollini/Osborne side has a lot of surface noise. I'm going to go back tomorrow and look through the box more carefully to see what else I can come up with.

That is remarkable that these private recordings are still in existence, and in decent condition.

• 4 weeks later...

200px-EllainHollywood.jpg

Not a great find maybe, but pretty good for a dollar, at a local thrift shop. Mint LP, Japanese pressing with OBI strip and in plastic sleeve. (The picture shows the Japanese CD version, but you get the idea). How did such a nice LP get to the thrift shop, among the dreck and dross?

A couple of years ago I found a nice mono copy of Dodo's Back by Dodo Marmarosa on Argo in the little record store down the street from my house. I think I paid ten bucks - I know it wasn't any more that that, although it may have been less. It's a great album, and I knew it was hard to find, but I just finished watching an Ebay auction of this album - it went for $338.88. To be fair, my copy is probably more like VG+ than M-.

Was at a somewhat local CD/record store last weekend and picked up the following:

MERCURY VSOP 4CD boxset - $8.99 (no OBI strip, not sure if there was one - plus there's no back tray insert - again not sure if there ever was one)

SUN RA - Lanquidity - $5.99

Top it off, there was a downtown sidewalk sale, so they took 25% off of the prices above, so the VSOP cost about $6.74 - WOOHOO!!!

You've provided me an opening to describe some recent CD scores I've been yanking out of an antique consignment shop on the outskirts of Athens.

They're in a ramshackle building about a half-mile off the old Atlanta Hwy. How about:

$40 for the Mosaic 3-CD box of 'Complete Candid Recordings of Charles Mingus' (#3201)

$40 for the 10-CD box of 'The Complete Mercury of Roland Kirk' (W. German press)

$10 for 'Complete Helen Merrill on Mercury' (4-CD, Japan)

$10 each for 3-CD sets of Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury (Vols. 1, 2 and 3, Japan)

$7 for Capt. Beefheart 2-CD 'Dust Blows Forward' (still sealed), and

$130 for 38 single-disc CDs, mostly OP jazz. (They're $4 each, $3 when you buy more than 10.)

All of these came from the collection of a Univ. Georgia Art professor, who died within months of retirement.

They've been priced by Gail, who runs the antique shop. There's easily 2,000 more CDs in piles, boxes, and shelves.

I've been casually dropping by about every two weeks and everything stays where I left it, with just a couple sold.

As downtown Athens is full of music hipsters, clerks and jerks -- you'd think the action would be fierce.