Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scooped up John Carter's "Variations" on Moers w/ Bradford and Newton for $12 on Ebay. Carter's records are always priced ludicrously high on Amazon and Buy It Now yet I've scored several of his LPs at auction for very little with no competition. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Went on one of my 78 trolling expeditions today, this time north of Atlanta. I came home with a few nice records, and one real surprise.

The relationship between record labels in the 1920's was incredibly complex - masters were leased back and forth and issued under a bewildering variety of pseudonyms. So whenever I find a '20's dance band record with a band name I don't recognize, I buy it if it's only a buck or two, because there's no telling who it will turn out to have on it. Well, in Adairsville today I found "Then I'll Be Happy" by the Master Melody Makers, on the National Music Lovers label. I paid a dollar for it, and figured it was probably a dollar wasted; the best I hoped for was that it might turn out to be by Sam Lanin, with a Red Nichols or Miff Mole solo. Turns out that it's by Fletcher Henderson. It's from 1925, just after Louis left the band. And it's a different take than appeared in the Classics CD series, for what that's worth. Haven't played it yet - it's probably not a masterpiece, but in any case I consider it a pretty cool find.

I haven't yet tracked down who the "Manhattan Musicians" on the other side are. They're playing a waltz, so there's probably not much jazz content there.

Also found some Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Ventura records in Cartersville. Somebody out in the country liked bebop.

Edited by jeffcrom

Since you replied to my post, Allen, I'll say something here that I was going to say in another thread: your Really the Blues? set is the perfect soundtrack for driving around rural Georgia looking for 78s. It was my road music today, and I really enjoyed it. And I loaded the liner notes into my Kindle, so I can take them with me, too.

Fletcher is always good. Let us know how it turns out.

It's good!. The song is pretty lame, and Henderson's version sounds like it was based on a stock arrangement, but they swing it hard. There's some hot Charlie Green trombone, a Don Redman vocal, a very good Joe Smith solo, and a great Coleman Hawkins solo. I've always thought that Hawkins picked up on Armstrong's message and came into his own just about the time Louis quit the band. This is really good tenor playing for 1925.

This record is going to require careful handling, though - it's got a crack that I didn't notice at first.

Coincidentally, I've got the other tune Fletcher recorded at this session on 78 as well - "Sleepy Time Gal" on the Banner label. That one is credited to Henderson on the label.

• 1 month later...

Count-Basie-Broadway-Basies-W-442563.jpg

Found "Broadway Basie's Way" (Command, Stereo) with Little Jazz and Lockjaw today... heard the music before, cool to have a vinyl of it! Now I need "Hollywood Basie's Way", too, I guess...

seven.jpg

Also got an interesting looking one: "Seven Steps to Evans - A Tribute to the Compositions of Bill Evans" (MPS), by a quintet of Kenny Wheeler, Stan Sulzmann, Gordon Beck, Ron Mathewson and Tony Oxley. Never even heard of that one before!

Also got an interesting looking one: "Seven Steps to Evans - A Tribute to the Compositions of Bill Evans" (MPS), by a quintet of Kenny Wheeler, Stan Sulzmann, Gordon Beck, Ron Mathewson and Tony Oxley. Never even heard of that one before!

I think that one came out not too long after Evans passed away and was released under Gordon Beck's name. Nice one !

This was my lucky LP day.

Horace Silver--Six Pieces of Silver (W. 63rd)

Horace Silver--Doin' The Thing at the Village Gate (NY USA mono)

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (NY USA mono)

This Here is Bobby Timmons (Riverside blue label mono)

Milt Jackson--Plenty Plenty Soul (Atlantic black label), and finally

A Modern Jazz Symmposium of Music and Poetry with with Charlie Mingus (Bethleham red label mono deep groove)

[\how much did u pay for the bluenotes?

quote name='kh1958' timestamp='1317518136' post='1142122']

This was my lucky LP day.

Horace Silver--Six Pieces of Silver (W. 63rd)

Horace Silver--Doin' The Thing at the Village Gate (NY USA mono)

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (NY USA mono)

This Here is Bobby Timmons (Riverside blue label mono)

Milt Jackson--Plenty Plenty Soul (Atlantic black label), and finally

A Modern Jazz Symmposium of Music and Poetry with with Charlie Mingus (Bethleham red label mono deep groove)

seven.jpg

I think that one came out not too long after Evans passed away and was released under Gordon Beck's name. Nice one !

That was a case of an image not appearing... here it is again, and indeed Beck is billed first:

beckmathewsonoxleysulzm.jpg

Nice !

Amazingly, it is virtually unplayed. The vinyl is not the same quality as Blue Note or Prestige, but the sound is the best I've heard of this album.

[\how much did u pay for the bluenotes?

$15 each for the Blue Notes. The Mingus was the "expensive" one, at $25.

Amazingly, it is virtually unplayed. The vinyl is not the same quality as Blue Note or Prestige, but the sound is the best I've heard of this album.

$25 is a pretty good deal. As you say, the vinyl of this one sounds very good. I think mine cost about £20 and I thought I'd got a pretty good deal too. Certainly not a mint copy though.

• 2 weeks later...

Bechet%2Balbum.jpg

I picked up a stack of ten- and twelve-inch LPs today, but the coolest one was a 10" early-50's London issue of Sidney Bechet's ballet La Nuit est une Sorcière. It's a pretty deluxe edition - it's in a box with an inner sleeve and liner notes in English and French. The vinyl doesn't look like it had ever been played before I put it on the turntable tonight.

Bechet%2Balbum.jpg

I picked up a stack of ten- and twelve-inch LPs today, but the coolest one was a 10" early-50's London issue of Sidney Bechet's ballet La Nuit est une Sorcière. It's a pretty deluxe edition - it's in a box with an inner sleeve and liner notes in English and French. The vinyl doesn't look like it had ever been played before I put it on the turntable tonight.

I still have the original release (a 10-inch LP on French Vogue) somewhere.

061260.jpg

I have not listened to it in years!

I go through long periods of finding very little. I also think there is probably less competition for jazz records in Dallas than in Austin (an Ornette Coleman concert in Dallas would probably be half empty) but probably also a greater potential supply, given that Austin was a pretty small town in the '50s-'60s.

This is somewhat unprecedented for me, in that in the last few weeks, I've found five original Blue Notes in good shape for a total of $110--the only pricier one being a Jimmy Smith for $50, but it is in perfect condition.

Edited by kh1958

Yes, I try not to get too excited when I see something good, as most of the time the vinyl has been abused.

One point to note is that one need not waste one's time at the HPB in Plano, as I've always found that one to be stripped clean, as if invaded by the jazz equivalent of African army ants. I wonder why (ha ha)?

• 2 weeks later...

The Modern Jazz Quartet - Blues at Carnegie Hall

in very nice condition... haven't played it yet, but love to cover... seems to be a 1973-75 pressing (Rockefeller Plaza address on green/orange label with white horizontal band in the middle).

Also the 10" Norgran MGN-2: "The Dizzy Gillespie - Stan Getz Sextet" (contains "It Don't Mean a Thing", "I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart", "Exactly Like You" and "Talk of the Town"). Seems to be original, I assume, but it has a couple of annoying stickers - one front saying "Hi-Fi Recording", one back with a price tag - and on the back another, handwritten price tag. None too shabby for less than 10$, I guess.

Popped into local Shelter, £20 got the following

Dave Brubeck- Jazz goes to college- Columbia 6 eye- very clean

Fairweather-Brown All Stars -Doctor McJazz- Lansdowne Jazz series ,Columbia UK -stereo

The Beatles "White Album" - 1st pressing stereo No 0458868- complete with inserts. Solid VG+ condition

Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the abstract... Impulse UK from 1976- very quiet pressing

Louis Stewart - Out on his own- Livia (Eire 1977) sleeve tatty but vinyl NM

Turns out I had the Brubeck as UK Phillips but the 6 eye sounds better. The White Album is my third copy, already have a first edition Mono, a 1980s stereo re-press, _ I think that's enough copies - not even my fav Beatles album ( that would be Revolver or Rubber Soul)