Great Finds

desertblues

Tubby Hayes..Mexican Green ...At Last!!!!!!!

Only the Mole reissue but sounds great.

John

John - I too managed to get a copy of this superb Mole reissue late last year, after some years of being foiled and having passed on Mole's release when it came out back in the 80s at something like £3 a go in their own shop. Excellent stuff - if I ever come across a copy of the super-cool Fontana original at low price I suspect my legs will give way on the spot..

Just as good was getting hold of an original mono '100% Proof' for a reasonable sum. Now there's a great Brit big-band album ! :excited:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found out how good Tubby Hayes really was shortly before Mole reissued that 'Mexican Green' album. Mole also reissued the 'Tubb's Tours' album. I got the two when they came out. Both delightful.

And shortly after I found a very nice secondhand copy of '100% Proof'. Not the Fontana original which I have never seen but the Philips issue that came at about the same time (1967). Great album too!

Yesterday's haul from an unamed flea market north of Waco. All are 45s in at least VG condition, though the vasy majority are VG+ or better. All were $1 a piece.

* James Brown "I'm a Greedy Man (pts. 1 & 2)"

* James Brown "Talking Loud and Saying Nothing (pts. 1 & 2)"

* James Brown "Make it Funky (pts. 1 & 2)"

* James Brown "My Part/Make it Funky (pts. 3 & 4)"

* James Brown "Get on the Good Foot (pts. 1 & 2)"

* James Brown "Santa Claus go Straight to the Ghetto"/"Sweet Little Baby Boy"

* James Brown "It's a New Day (pts. 1 & 2)"/"Georgia on my Mind"

* James Brown "There it Is (pts. 1 & 2)"

* James Brown "Hot Pants (pts. 1 & 2)"

* Marvin Gaye "You're the Man (pts. 1 & 2)"

* Eddie Harris "It is In (mono)"/"It is In (stereo)"

* Gwen McRae "Rockin Chair"/"It Keps on Raining"

* The Soul Searchers "We the People (pts. 1 & 2)"

* Kool & the Gang "The Frog"/"Good Times"

* The Politicians "Free Your Mind"/"Love Machine"

* Quincy Jones "Passin the Buck"/"Money Runner"

* Cymande "The Message"/"Zion I"

* Curtis Mayfield "Get Down"/"We're a Winner"

• 3 weeks later...

Found Plas Johnson: Positively, a Concord lp recorded in 1976. It has a line-up of Johnson (tenor), Ray Brown (bass), Herb Ellis (guitar), Bobbye Hall (congas), and Jake Hanna (drums). I never realized that Plas recorded on Concord, and not only that, but he made at least two other lps that the liners talk about. Great tunes on the lp by a vastly underrated musician -- all for $2.00!

• 2 weeks later...

Found, at my "buck a disc" source, discs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 of the Reader's Digest "Great Memories" releases. Only disc 7 is missing. They are in their lightweight paperboard sleeves, but no hard cover. The records themselves look like they have never been played. I don't know why I bought them, except that it was kind of interesting to have a collectiion of all the hits from 1944 right up to the seventies.

The first record, side 1, ranges from releases, by the original artists, from 1944-1957. They are not all jazz, but I'll live with that. They are the hits from each year, arranged in groups of twelve on each record.

The first, for example, has:

Side 1

Rum and Coca Cola-The Andrews Sisters

I'll Get By-Harry James

Buckle Down Winsock-Benny Goodman

The Atchison Topeka and the Santa Fe-Kate Smith

Sentimental Journey-Les Brown, Doris Day on vocals

BUT, when you turn that record over, it's side SIXTEEN!!

So, they're meant to be stacked on the spindle [a capitol offence in my house, growing up] and played, one after the other.

Each record is like that. Record 2 has Side 15 on the flip side and so on.

I've never seen that before.

I would guess that these were offered in the seventies, but still, at a dollar each a pretty good deal, I think. The records are those thin, light ones, after the manufacturers switched to Dynagroove. I find the weight of the records from the thirties and forties to have a more satisfying heft. But, maybe that's just me.

Edited by patricia

So, they're meant to be stacked on the spindle [a capitol offence in my house, growing up] and played, one after the other.

Each record is like that. Record 2 has Side 15 on the flip side and so on.

Kids! It is now official: I'm an old-timer. I remember when on double lps, record one had side 1 & 4, and the second lp has 2 & 3. It was a bummer when on Mountian Jam off of Eat a Peach, after the bass solo, you had to take the record off and put another one on! Music lovers had to go through hell back in the day. :w

Each record is like that.  Record 2 has Side 15 on the flip side and so on.

Kids! It is now official: I'm an old-timer. I remember when on double lps, record one had side 1 & 4, and the second lp has 2 & 3. It was a bummer when on Mountian Jam off of Eat a Peach, after the bass solo, you had to take the record off and put another one on! Music lovers had to go through hell back in the day. :w

No wonder our butts are wider these days!!! :D I blame the remote controls for everything electronic, making our lives almost totally sedentary. Once you're sitting down, you don't have to get up and walk more than once or twice, all evening.

Does anyone remember those characters in Li'l Abner who had evolved to the point that they had no feet and legs, just helecopter roters, imbedded in their scalps?? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Not great finds as such but I am amazes by all the stuff available on vinyl ,although its undoubtbly hit or miss in terms of availabity.

Since recently buying my nice Rega turntable I have discovered loads of shops selling decent second hand vinyl a cheap prices.

Typical example was yesterday getting "Lee Konitz Nonet" on Pye and Gerald Wilson Discovery Lps for just £4, both unplayed.

Not great finds as such but I am amazes by all the stuff available on vinyl ,although its undoubtbly hit or miss in terms of availabity.

Since recently buying my nice Rega turntable I have discovered loads of shops selling decent second hand vinyl a cheap prices.

Typical example was yesterday getting "Lee Konitz Nonet" on Pye and Gerald Wilson Discovery Lps for just £4, both unplayed.

When I lived in Fresno, then Sacramento, I was paying anywhere from $10-$15 per disc.

Here in Calgary, the top price at my vinyl source appears to be about $15. There are many available from about $5.

Then, at a secondhand place around the corner the price is a straight $1 per record. So, if it's a two record set, it's $2, or a ten-record set from some mailorder place, it's $10.

The selection, of course, is more varied at the more expensive place and they organize their stock and catagorize everything, making sure that the records are in good to excellent condition.

It's interesting.

Here in Calgary, the top price at my vinyl source appears to be about $15. There are many available from about $5.

Then, at a secondhand place around the corner the price is a straight $1 per record. So, if it's a two record set, it's $2, or a ten-record set from some mailorder place, it's $10.

The selection, of course, is more varied at the more expensive place and they organize their stock and catagorize everything, making sure that the records are in good to excellent condition.

It's interesting.

Patricia, Calgary must have changed since 1988 when I stayed there for three weeks during the the Winter Olympics. Looked for record shops around town, found some but did not strike gold, nor silver. No jazz vinyl of interest. Nada!

A rare instance when I traveled to a foreign city for a long stay and came back empty handed.

Fortunately stopped over in Chicago on the way back to Paris. That was a jazz record city!

Here in Calgary, the top price at my vinyl source appears to be about $15.  There are many available from about $5. 

Then, at a secondhand place around the corner the price is a straight $1 per record.  So, if it's a two record set, it's $2, or a ten-record set from some mailorder place, it's $10.

It's interesting.

Patricia, Calgary must have changed since 1988 when I stayed there for three weeks during the the Winter Olympics. Looked for record shops around town, found some but did not strike gold, nor silver. No jazz vinyl of interest. Nada!

A rare instance when I traveled to a foreign city for a long stay and came back empty handed.

Fortunately stopped over in Chicago on the way back to Paris. That was a jazz record city!

Brownie,

Did you go to RecordLand, downtown?? It's in the really old part of town, near tattoo places and little stores with uneaven wood floors and bars on the windows.

I would never go to that part of town, but for the record store.

They have a really good Jazz section, everything in excellent condition and I found out recently that the reason I couldn't find any Dixieland was that it has it's own section. They also have some '78's and '45's, but I've never bought any, remembering how I treated my singles. I'll have to take time to look at them next time I'm there. That was where I found a mint copy of Woody Herman's 40th Anniversary concert at Carnegie Hall, as well as some factory sealed records from the fifties and sixties. So, I did, I think, find gold. All their stuff is in at least good condition and most in excellent condition.

Edited by patricia

Brownie,

Did you go to RecordLand, downtown?? It's in the really old part of town, near tattoo places and little stores with uneaven wood floors and bars on the windows.

They have a really good Jazz section, everything in excellent condition and I found out recently that the reason I couldn't find any Dixieland was that it has it's own section. They also have some '78's and '45's, but I've never bought any, remembering how I treated my singles. I'll have to take time to look at them next time I'm there. That was where I found a mint copy of Woody Herman's 40th Anniversary concert at Carnegie Hall, as well as some factory sealed records from the fifties and sixties. So, I did, I think, find gold. All their stuff is in at least good condition and most in excellent condition.

Patricia, though the area you describe brings memories I can't recall that record shop. The ones I visited had really no interesting jazz vinyls. All I did find was a couple of Diane Dufresne albums that a friend of mine who was infatuated with Diane was looking for.

Don't take it bad but am not planning to revisit the city any time soon -_-

Brownie,

Did you go to RecordLand, downtown??   It's in the really old part of town, near tattoo places and little stores with uneaven wood floors and bars on the windows.

They have a really good Jazz section, everything in excellent condition and I found out recently that the reason I couldn't find any Dixieland was that it has it's own section.  They also have some '78's and '45's, but I've never bought any, remembering how I treated my singles.  I'll have to take time to look at them next time I'm there.  That was where I found a mint copy of Woody Herman's 40th Anniversary concert at Carnegie Hall, as well as some factory sealed records from the fifties and sixties.  So, I did, I think, find gold.  All their stuff is in at least good condition and most in excellent condition.

Patricia, though the area you describe brings memories I can't recall that record shop. The ones I visited had really no interesting jazz vinyls. All I did find was a couple of Diane Dufresne albums that a friend of mine who was infatuated with Diane was looking for.

Don't take it bad but am not planning to revisit the city any time soon -_-

That's a shame. But, I haven't even looked at any other places, since I am relatively new to Calgary and never go downtown, except to RecordLand. Work interferes with a true exploration of the city. But, I was surprised that there is so much old jazz vinyl here, since it is like an alien world to me, all big hats and pointy boots and C+W, indespersed with loud Rap. My head hurts when I shop, from the Muzak I hear. :blink:

I understand that there are quite a few places which have vintage vinyl.

If you ever end up here again [there is a jazz festival, annually in July] please let me buy you several tipples of your choice. :D

Edited by patricia

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite local used record store bought a collection of 2500 mint-condition lps (most are in unplayed condition)-all jazz, mostly of the "trad" or swing variety. They are ONE DOLLAR each if you get ten or more! Yesterday I got:

Benny Carter "The King" on Pablo

Prez & Sweets on Verve (Japanese reissue)

L. Young "Jammin With Lester" on Jazz Archives

Al Cohn "Standards Of Excellence" on Concord

W. Herman And His First Herd "Juke Box" on First Heard (lim. ed.)

Ruby Braff-George Barnes Quartet on Chariascuro

Warren Vache "Blues Walk" on Dreamstreet

Johnny Hodges in Disco Order Vol. 1 on Ajax

Benny Carter with Ben Webster and Barney Bigard on Prestige

Ellington '55 on Capitol (mono reissue).

All the above for a grand total of ten bucks! They're all mint! :g

My favorite local used record store bought a collection of 2500 mint-condition lps (most are in unplayed condition)-all jazz, mostly of the "trad" or swing variety. They are ONE DOLLAR each if you get ten or more! Yesterday I got:

Benny Carter "The King" on Pablo

Prez & Sweets on Verve (Japanese reissue)

L. Young "Jammin With Lester" on Jazz Archives

Al Cohn "Standards Of Excellence" on Concord

W. Herman And His First Herd "Juke Box" on First Heard (lim. ed.)

Ruby Braff-George Barnes Quartet on Chariascuro

Warren Vache "Blues Walk" on Dreamstreet

Johnny Hodges in Disco Order Vol. 1 on Ajax

Benny Carter with Ben Webster and Barney Bigard on Prestige

Ellington '55 on Capitol (mono reissue).

All the above for a grand total of ten bucks! They're all mint! :g

I'm green with envy and hate you quite a bit. ;) Great finds!!

My favorite local used record store bought a collection of 2500 mint-condition lps (most are in unplayed condition)-all jazz, mostly of the "trad" or swing variety. They are ONE DOLLAR each if you get ten or more!

Where you at?

Yesterday's haul -

Art Blakey - Three Blind Mice

Ten Years After - Ssssh

Donald Byrd-I'm Trying To Get Home

Mandrill-We Are One

Jethro Tull-Heavy Horses

Whitecage, Morganstern, Perry Robinson-Licorice Factory

Paul Desmond-Desmond Blue

Louis Armstrong-Ambassador Satch

Lionel Hampton Malibu Beach 1951 on Coronet

All originals, some played well, most vg+,nm-.

20 bucks.

3519_a_m.jpg

3519_b_m.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just last weekend I found:

Tim Berne – The Five Year Plan EPC 24K

Tim Berne – Spectres EPC 48K

Tim Berne – Songs and Rituals in Real Time EPC 60K-2

Tim Berne – The Ancestors SN 1061

Dennis Gonzalez New Dallas Sextet – Namesake SHLP-106

All for under $35