Great Finds

desertblues

That's an interesting mix of soul and jazz on those labels. I only knew of it through the Larry Young album. But knowing the Tyrone Washington love on this board :) l'm sure many will be familiar with it. RegrettabIy, I don't know enough about the Soul music of the time to be too familiar with a lot of the artists . But it was interesting to see Lucky Peterson being recorded as a 5 year old? I know of the great tradition in Black music to record and celebrate the talents of the very young ie., little Georgie Benson, Stevie Wonder etc. but 5yo seems to be pushing it :g

Child prodigy status is sometimes difficult to overcome upon reaching maturity. Not so for Lucky Peterson -- he's far bigger (in more ways than one) on the contemporary blues circuit than he was at the precocious age of six, when he scored a national R&B hit with the Willie Dixon-produced "1-2-3-4."

From All Music Guide.

MG

Yes indeed. He used to tour Australia a lot a few years ago. Very renowned for being just as skilled at organ and guitar.

I didn't know he was a child prodigy though. Or should I say - a near infant prodigy.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an interesting mix of soul and jazz on those labels. I only knew of it through the Larry Young album. But knowing the Tyrone Washington love on this board :) l'm sure many will be familiar with it. RegrettabIy, I don't know enough about the Soul music of the time to be too familiar with a lot of the artists . But it was interesting to see Lucky Peterson being recorded as a 5 year old? I know of the great tradition in Black music to record and celebrate the talents of the very young ie., little Georgie Benson, Stevie Wonder etc. but 5yo seems to be pushing it :g

Child prodigy status is sometimes difficult to overcome upon reaching maturity. Not so for Lucky Peterson -- he's far bigger (in more ways than one) on the contemporary blues circuit than he was at the precocious age of six, when he scored a national R&B hit with the Willie Dixon-produced "1-2-3-4."

From All Music Guide.

MG

Lucky's a real nice guy in my experience and very talented. He's lived in Dallas for 20 or more years but is of course little heralded in his home town.

Aside from his many blues recordings, for the soul jazz fan, I recommend three fairly recent CDs on French Emarcy, The Organ Soul Sessions. This is all Lucky on organ, playing mostly with jazz players and mostly jazz songs.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B001LV5OIA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0EGCS4NC5THJKAX1SF4X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=312233167&pf_rd_i=405320

For the gospel oriented jazz fan, you might also enjoy his duet recording with Mavis Staples. Lucky is mostly on organ on this one and its very tasty.

http://www.amazon.com/Spirituals-Gospel-Dedicated-Mahalia-Jackson/dp/B000004767/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1349151496&sr=1-1&keywords=Lucky+Peterson+Mavis+Staples

Edited by kh1958

From All Music Guide.

MG

Lucky's a real nice guy in my experience and very talented. He's lived in Dallas for 20 or more years but is of course little heralded in his home town.

Aside from his many blues recordings, for the soul jazz fan, I recommend three fairly recent CDs on French Emarcy, The Organ Soul Sessions. This is all Lucky on organ, playing mostly with jazz players and mostly jazz songs.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B001LV5OIA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0EGCS4NC5THJKAX1SF4X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=312233167&pf_rd_i=405320

For the gospel oriented jazz fan, you might also enjoy his duet recording with Mavis Staples. Lucky is mostly on organ on this one and its very tasty.

http://www.amazon.com/Spirituals-Gospel-Dedicated-Mahalia-Jackson/dp/B000004767/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1349151496&sr=1-1&keywords=Lucky+Peterson+Mavis+Staples

Very interesting, thanks. I've bunged the 3 CD set into my wish list for next year.

MG

• 2 months later...

Found a pair worthy of reporting here - both in a shape that makes listening a pleasure, and both covers are pretty good, too (the BN has seem splits a few centimeters in from the opening, but that's it, the Atlantic has one that's actually more like a dent, on top, a centimeter long or so):

Edmond_Hall_Charlie_Christian_Memorable_Sessions_in_Jazz.jpg

IYVC.jpg

Very happy about these two! And I got a very kind price, too (about 25$ for both). There'd have been Eddie Harris' "Live at Newport", but it sounded rough and looked pretty battered already - too bad!

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't exactly a cheap bargain but I never thought I'd own one. I found a Mosaic Complete BN Monk lp set for $100. The box has some minor wear but the construction has no defects and the lps look like they haven't been played. The story is that the owner recorded them on a reel to reel tape and filed it away so it didn't get much if any play time. Ok by me. I'm thrilled to have a copy of the first Mosaic box.

This isn't exactly a cheap bargain but I never thought I'd own one. I found a Mosaic Complete BN Monk lp set for $100. The box has some minor wear but the construction has no defects and the lps look like they haven't been played. The story is that the owner recorded them on a reel to reel tape and filed it away so it didn't get much if any play time. Ok by me. I'm thrilled to have a copy of the first Mosaic box.

Congrats ! A great LP set.

Yesteday I went to Berkeley and found a nice pile of wax. One of them was a live one from Pharoah Sanders on the Theresa label recorded in L.A. and Santa Cruz w/John Hicks, Walter Booker and Idris Muhammad. I've only had a chance to listen to side one so far but so far so good. I've found a few Theresa albums lately and they've all been good and priced to move. I guess since it's not Prestige or Blue Note it's not considered very marketable. :crazy:

Yesteday I went to Berkeley and found a nice pile of wax. One of them was a live one from Pharoah Sanders on the Theresa label recorded in L.A. and Santa Cruz w/John Hicks, Walter Booker and Idris Muhammad. I've only had a chance to listen to side one so far but so far so good. I've found a few Theresa albums lately and they've all been good and priced to move. I guess since it's not Prestige or Blue Note it's not considered very marketable. :crazy:

A sensational album

Live.jpg

One of my favourites of Pharoah.

MG

A couple nice Jazz lp's this afternoon $1.50 each at a couple of thrifts.

Oscar Peterson & Clark Terry, Pablo, 1975 in shrink, mint

Jo Jones and his Orcheatra, Vamp 'Til Ready, Everest, 1960, VG+

Jo Jones with Harry "Sweets" Edison, trumpet; Jimmy Forest, tenor saxophone; Bennie Green, trombone; Tommy Flanagan, piano; and Tommy Potter, bass

Jazz1-30-13.jpg

Great comments. Orchestra lol? Funny how they named it. I almost missed it in the stack as I flipped through it.

The cover looks so typical, but flipping to the back cover convinced me.

I haven't heard it yet because my RCM is down, but it is in very good condition.

Here's a shot of the back cover.

Vamp.jpg

I got lucky again yesterday at another thrift for $1.50 each. Believe me this doesn't happen all the time but I'm a hunter.

These are on the rare side also. Again these three are in great condition.

Kelly.jpg

Sonny.jpg

Blues.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This one...

271053512263.jpg

My UK edition from Top Rank has the same spelling, I'd assumed it was a mistake made here given that Kelly is not exactly a common name in these parts.

I'd forgotten that Top Rank used to distribute VJ over here. But I remember Dee Clark and Wade Flemons 45s coming out on TR, now you mention this. Is your copy one from before or after EMI took Top Rank over?

MG