Great Finds

desertblues

This one...

271053512263.jpg

My UK edition from Top Rank has the same spelling, I'd assumed it was a mistake made here given that Kelly is not exactly a common name in these parts.

I'd forgotten that Top Rank used to distribute VJ over here. But I remember Dee Clark and Wade Flemons 45s coming out on TR, now you mention this. Is your copy one from before or after EMI took Top Rank over?

MG

After, EMI on the back cover where it's spelt Kelly in contrast to the front cover. The LP labels also have his surname as Kelly.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one...

271053512263.jpg

My UK edition from Top Rank has the same spelling, I'd assumed it was a mistake made here given that Kelly is not exactly a common name in these parts.

I'd forgotten that Top Rank used to distribute VJ over here. But I remember Dee Clark and Wade Flemons 45s coming out on TR, now you mention this. Is your copy one from before or after EMI took Top Rank over?

MG

After, EMI on the back cover where it's spelt Kelly in contrast to the front cover. The LP labels also have his surname as Kelly.

Oh, EMI corrected 3/4 of the errors :g

MG

Picked this up last week on Ebay. I am surprised I didn't get sniped. Vinyl and jacket mint. Looks to be never played.

On 45 rpm (2)

The RCA Jazz Workshop

Billy Byers

w/

Nick Travis, Bernie Glow - tpts

Urbie Green, Fred Ohms, Chauncy Welch - tbns

Al Cohn, Phil Funk, Jerry Sanfinio - woodwinds

Moe Wechsler - p/celeste

Joe Venuto - vibes

Milt Hinton - b

Osie Johnson - dr

Gene Orloff, Alan Schulman, Lucien Schmiit, Bernie Greenhouse - strings

side 1)

Alone Together

The Tickler

side 2)

Billy Bones

Chinese Water Torture

side 3)

I See a Million People

Back in Your Own Back Yard

side 4)
Thou Swell

You're Mine You

I picked up a copy of Viva Tirado by a Latino group named El Chicano. It has a scratch on Side B but my original copy is worse [some guy at a party dropped the tone arm on my record]. Great record with a nice cover of Cantaloupe Island. The guitarist plays a lot like Wes Montgomery. Top quality B3 work, too.

Hopefully, it will sound OK. I eventually want to turn all my analogue recordings [some 800+ albums] into CD-R digital format.

BTW...does anybody know of a place to buy an inexpensive turntable which turns LPs into digital recordings?

4764539228_86a7ccebbd_z.jpg

Edited by GoodSpeak

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks MG for the image. That must be the one. I may head back to the store and see if they still have the organ date on Vault. I'll keep my eye out for this Atlantic recording though.

edit: I didn't make it to that store today because I went to one closer and scored two albums I've been looking for on vinyl for a while now.

Jazz Impressions:Lawrence of Arabia - Walt Dickerson Quartet (Dauntless) Mono

The Dealer - Chico Hamilton (Impulse) orig. mono black & orange label

The Dealer used to be easy to spot around town but in the last five or so years since I decided I wanted it, I've not seen an original until today. The Dickerson album I've wanted on vinyl for a number of years, since discovering his music. I thought my chances were slim of ever seeing a copy that was affordable. The owners of the record store had just bought a large collection and let me look through them before they priced them ----> result! They charged me $8 for the Dickerson and $6 for The Dealer. I was excpecting to pay more than the total for just the Dickerson lp alone.

Edited by six string

Picked this up last week on Ebay. I am surprised I didn't get sniped. Vinyl and jacket mint. Looks to be never played.

On 45 rpm (2)

The RCA Jazz Workshop

Billy Byers

w/

Moe Wechsler - p/celeste

Joe Venuto - vibes

Milt Hinton - b

Osie Johnson - dr

side 1)

Alone Together

The Tickler

side 2)

Billy Bones

Chinese Water Torture

side 3)

I See a Million People

side 4)

Thou Swell

You're Mine You

How is it? Thought about getting used on Amazon once or twice, but it seem too pricey for my mood at those time.

he Dealer used to be easy to spot around town but in the last five or so years since I decided I wanted it, I've not seen an original until today. .

The beatheads dig Chico. For real. Are there beatheads where you live?

Is a beathead someone who samples bits of songs for hip hop, etc? Yeah, DJ Shadow used to live in this area and frequented the stores here of course. One of the great old stores is on the cover of his Entroducing album.

Edited by six string

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to just read this. I have been so busy lately that I haven't listened to it yet.

Billy Byers has always been one of my favorite 'under the radar' players and arrangers. I am expecting it to be very good.

On 45 rpm (2)

The RCA Jazz Workshop

Billy Byers

w/

Moe Wechsler - p/celeste

Joe Venuto - vibes

Milt Hinton - b

Osie Johnson - dr

side 1)

Alone Together

The Tickler

side 2)

Billy Bones

Chinese Water Torture

side 3)

I See a Million People

side 4)
Thou Swell

You're Mine You

How is it? Thought about getting used on Amazon once or twice, but it seem too pricey for my mood at those time.

Edited by Greg Waits

he Dealer used to be easy to spot around town but in the last five or so years since I decided I wanted it, I've not seen an original until today. .

The beatheads dig Chico. For real. Are there beatheads where you live?

Is a beathead someone who samples bits of songs for hip hop, etc? Yeah, DJ Shadow used to live in this area and frequented the stores here of course. One of the great old stores is on the cover of his Entroducing album.

All of that, yeah.

In line with that, if one is so inclined to consider such things, this should not be ruled out as a possible listening choice:

105850.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

"A Jazz Journey with Rusty Dedrick and the Ten Man Band" only $1.00! Plays perfectly, but the jacket has come apart.

The used record store I frequent throws stuff in the $1.00 bin based on condition of the jacket; they usually clean all their records.

I've gotten some great deals in the 30 years I've shopped there, including turntables, amps, VCRs, cassette decks, books and magazines.

• 3 weeks later...

Returned from a 10-day family holiday in Southern France at the Mediterranean coast earlier this week, where during our stay there I had made the rounds at the usual weekly fleamarkets, "brocantes" etc.

Yielded some finds for my various collecting obsessions here and there, and one of the fleamarket stalls at last I happened upon a trove of 50s party records that had at least a moderate inclination towards jazz.

And so the three 10-inchers and seven EPS shown below (along with six more 50s pop/mambo EPs) became mine for a measly 6 euros (approx. 8US$) altogether. :tup

Usual cover wear and very, very dusty vinyl (must have sat in some grain mill basement or so for ages) but they all cleaned up nicely and play well.

Ha - FOR ONCE a French fleamarket where you dig out more than just Sidney Bechet or the very occasional Satch/Duke after flipping through loads of vinyl!!;)

nUSEJZfntU.JPG

WXwPAjjo6t.JPG

ipsjiIpY3P.JPG

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Dropped by a local garage sale. Saw a stack of LPs sitting in the sun, stacked on top of one another (oh the horror!)

Luckily the sun hadn't done any damage yet.

Found a couple of LPs for fifty cents each:

A clean copy of Lou Donaldson's "Alligator Bogaloo" (BST 84263 / Blue and white label / division of Liberty)

Also a clean copy of "Latin ala Lee" (Peggy Lee with afro cuban beat) on Capitol.

• 2 weeks later...

A 70's jazz wormhole

I stumbled across a mother load of jazz LPs from that decade at a Goodwill. All records are essentially in like new condition.

Two Billy Cobham LPs I didn't yet have.

Flora Purim

The Essential Airto (flying dutchman 2-fer)

Lucky Thompson "Illuminations" (groove merchant 2-fer)

Chick Corea/Braxton/Holland/Altschul - Circle (ECM)

Gato Barbieri - Chapter One: Latin America (impulse)

Gato B - Chapter Three (impulse)

John Klemmer - Magic Moments (chess 2 fer)

Gary Bartz - The Shadow (prestige)

Jimmy McGriff - "Flyin' Time (groove merchant 2-fer)

Music with 58 Musicians, vol. one (ECM compilation)

Alice Coltrane - "Radha - Krsna Nama Sankirtana" (WB)

Nothing here that really rocked my boat, but a few nice things. And @ .59 cents a pop in the fine condition they were in I had to grab them.

A side note: the sometimes annoying cashier at this store started chatting about jazz. what she liked what she didn't etc. Then she asks if I'd heard of Gene Krupa...yeah well.

Then she tells me he was a family friend in Chicago and they called him Uncle Gene! Nice

Edited by Greg Waits