Great Finds

desertblues

I just discovered this thread and although not all of these finds are recent, these would count as some of my best finds in my 20+ years of collecting:

Cannonball Adderley "something else" a 47 w 63rd mono in NM condition for $5.99 at a local "college/indie music" record shop

Moonstone "s/t" - a pretty rare French Canadian folk psych album found in same above shop in the "free" bin..also NM and flipped for over $300!

Sonny Clark "leapin and lopin" a NY stereo original in EX shape for $10..priced from an antiquated "jazz price guide" by a private dealer...from same dealer I got a small cache of mint FMPs, Incus, and a few other gems like the Jeanne Lee "conspiracy" for $4-6 each

Wolf Vostell "decollage" a rare Fluxus lp for $10 at a Seattle record store..flipped for nearly $300

However I think my best all time score at least in terms of monetary gain(to fund buying other records of course :)) was selling my original "propellor" lp by guided by voices for $1000....my cost - $7 bought new and sealed when it came out!

I've had lots of other finds too over the years but I do find them to be more of a rare occurrence in the last 5-10 years...I've also had my share of missed opportunities and "ones that got away" too!

These finds over the years have certainly helped me afford my vinyl habit ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to Princeton Record Exchange today. From where I live it's a hard place to get to, but conveniently my daughter was going down to stay with my parents for the week and Princeton is exactly halfway between my house and their house, so I met my Dad in the town and after lunch went over to the store. Spent a long time there, but I easily could have spent an entire day, no problem. I brought with me a bunch of CDs and DVDs to exchange, and ended up walking away with a nice copy of the Larry Young Mosaic LP set (I own a couple of the albums but don't have several others), as well as a couple more BYG/Actuels that I had yet to pick up (two of the AEC ones). Easily could have spent a lot more money than I did. Don't know when I'll be able to go back, but it's definitely worth it. It's a crime that there aren't stores like this in every major city in the United States.

Picked up a Wayne Shorter Night Dreamer LP from an online vendor, listed as a "Japanese pressing". For $10 I figured I'd gamble and hope that it was the King Records version.

It arrived today, found it sitting in the mailbox in the sun. I quickly opened it and found an unwarped, NM King pressing. Yahoo!

Some years ago I walked into a record store that had just purchased a HUGE classical collection..it was literally just in the door in boxes still. I got one of the first cracks at it and within the collection was quite a fair bit of modern/electronic stuff. The best part? Pretty much the entire philips silver series! I bought all the titles I needed in one stop. I think the prices ranged from $15 to $60 tops(for a few parmegianis and the luc Ferrari). Quite the day!

Jazz Swings Broadway (Pacific Jazz) -- Bud Shank/Bob Cooper Quintet, Stu Williamson Quartet, Chico Hamilton Quintet, Russ Freeman Trio, all tracks not issued elsewhere AFAIK.

Boyd Raeburn, Rhythms by Raeburn (1945 airchecks from San Francisco)

Peter Pears/Julian Bream, Music for Voice and Guitar (RCA), works by Britten, Walton, Seiber, and Fricker

Mozart Clarinet Concerto, Bram de Wilde, Van Beinum, Concertgebouw (Epic)

All LPs, total price $2.50

A rare ten LP haul:

Two Riverside Monks, Five by Monk by Five and Monk in Italy.

Sonny Rollins, Freedom Suite (Riverside, Japanese Victor).

An Emarcy, Max Roach on the Chicago Scene.

Four Verves, Lee Konitz Tranquility and Very Cool (Trumpet label), as well as Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster and Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges.

On Columbia, Sidney Bechet (six eyes).

On Muse, Dave Schnitter, Glowing.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a decent mono copy of Tubby the Tenor on epic for $2.00 today, the jacket is beat but the LP plays great! Also a mint Ralph Burns Bijou with Jimmy Rainey for $9 - Tubbs will get more play.

I'll see your beat-up jacket copy of Tubby the Tenor and raise you my guaranteed more beat-up jacket copy of Clifford Brown Ensemble featuring Zoot Sims recorded on Vogue in 1954 in Hollywood. How beat-up, you ask? There is a HUGE bite out of the front of the jacket and the entire thing is totally scotch-taped. I was not as lucky as you were with the record though. The last cut on Side2, "Blueberry Hill" is unplayable. HOWEVER, the rest of the record plays fine.

Sometimes we just have to take a chance. $5 at Recordland in Calgary. :)

Edited by patricia

• 2 weeks later...

$T2eC16JHJGkFFm2q2QCpBR7YV4695g~~60_12.J

This is Me, J.C. Heard Argo LP-633

I`m very happy to find this. :rolleyes:

Does it say who did the cover design? And have you ever seen the kangaroo split-pack? I haven't, except in pictures.

230728783969.jpg

Cover design by W. Hopkins.

This is a split pack, just an extra carton inner sheet.

But the free sampler is gone, a friend of mine he has one with the sampler, a 7" 45 RPM.

p.s. a lot of vocal on this album. :wacko:

p.s. I`ve just ordered the 45RPM Sampler. :)

Edited by tomatamot

• 9 months later...

Bought today in Detroit -- all original pressings, some a little beat up but not horrible, some perfectly clean, some with rough covers, others perfect):

Kenny Dorham, Kenny Dorham & Friends (Jazzland)

Kenny Dorham & Jackie McLean, "Inta Somethin'" (Pacific Jazz)

Tricky Lofton & Carmell Jones (arr. Gerald Wilson), "Brass Bag" (Pacific Jazz)

Carmell Jones, "The Remarkable Carmell Jones" (Pacific Jazz)

Curtis Amy, "Way Down" (Pacific Jazz)

Jimmy Smith, "Home Cookin'" (Blue Note)

Carla Bley, "Escalator Over the Hill" (JCOA)

Ron Carter, "Blues Farm" (CTI)

Donald Byrd, "I'm Trying to Get Home" (Blue Note)

Total cost: $50. Yes, um, that's $50.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Bought today in Detroit -- all original pressings, some a little beat up but not horrible, some perfectly clean, some with rough covers, others perfect):

Kenny Dorham, Kenny Dorham & Friends (Jazzland)

Kenny Dorham & Jackie McLean, "Inta Somethin'" (Pacific Jazz)

Tricky Lofton & Carmell Jones (arr. Gerald Wilson), "Brass Bag" (Pacific Jazz)

Carmell Jones, "The Remarkable Carmell Jones" (Pacific Jazz)

Curtis Amy, "Way Down" (Pacific Jazz)

Jimmy Smith, "Home Cookin'" (Blue Note)

Carla Bley, "Escalator Over the Hill" (JCOA)

Ron Carter, "Blues Farm" (CTI)

Donald Byrd, "I'm Trying to Get Home" (Blue Note)

Total cost: $50. Yes, um, that's $50.

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

I am transferring a big chunk of my LP collection to CDR, and finding out that certain things that came out on CD sound better on original LP release (no big surprise); hence I picked up the Columbia double-LP of Bird, "A Night in Birdland," which I must admit I discarded some time ago. Glad I got it back, only 4 bucks. Also has nice notes by Dan Morgenstern.

Edited by AllenLowe

I am transferring a big chunk of my LP collection to CDR, and finding out that certain things that came out on CD sound better on original LP release (no big surprise); hence I picked up the Columbia double-LP of Bird, "A Night in Birdland," which I must admit I discarded some time ago. Glad I got it back, only 4 bucks. Also has nice notes by Dan Morgenstern.

Yes Allen, the LP has significantly better sound that the cd. How could they manage to screw up these things?