Great Finds

desertblues

Interestingly, it mentions the ‘expanded’ Portobello Road operation of the late 1990s/early 2000s. I recall an expanded upstairs area around that time with more jazz vinyl than is now the place (must have been what was in the jazz basement). Picked up a couple of nice Liberty Blue Notes in that version - the guys said that the LPs had been brought over from an exped to the US and that they had been sitting in a store room for 30 years.

I like the bit about the original Portobello shop having been a butchers originally and that the store had blood marks on the wall and meat hooks at the back. They don’t make shops like that any more !

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only dimly remember the details of the interior of that shop at Portobello Road that I visited in 2000 but I do remember that when I was in there I wondered what that shop may originally have been ... The way it was, the shop had something of an air of "we're going to squeeze the record racks in there, come what may" about it. So I'd believe the "butcher" past without hesitating ... ;)

I think the ‘Butcher’s Shop’ Honest Jon’s was in their first early 70s Portobello store. By the 2000s they were in their current location - plus briefly that overflow section for LPs I think. Yes, it was a bit of a squeeze.

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a bunch of acetates that are pretty cool. Tristano recordings and very early Lee Konitz & Lloyd Lifton.

The Lennie records are: 

Lennie Tristano Quartet - with accordion (Leon Sash?), bass, guitar.  6 tunes on 4 discs.  I found a new baby, night in Tunisia (2x), pick-up sticks, honeysuckle rose, one other tune.  Pretty good fidelity.

Lennie Tristano Trio - August 21, 1948. 3 tunes on one disc, Indiana, What is this thing called love, don't blame me. Noisy and faint - will need help.

Chubby Jackson Quartet - Lennie, Bauer, drummer. September 1946.  Happy Monster, Milton, (two of the accordion tunes are at the end of each side of this disc), Sherry, Wow.  Massive hum on the 4 tunes - sounds like the cutter was not grounded - will need help.

Lennie solo - one side - you can depend on me, just you - just me.  There is one more 7" solo  disc I put away for safekeeping and now can't find - but I will...I hope.

Flip side of I found a new baby is the end of a Konitz / Lifton version and a solo version by Lee of in a sentimental mood.  Flip side of the solo Lennie is I surrender dear by Konitz/Lifton band dated June 19, 1946. All the Lifton/Konitz tunes sound damn good. 

The rest of the Konitz/Lifton tunes are: Lover Man, How High the Moon (2sides), Poppity Pop, Memories of You, Out of Nowhere, My Blue Heaven, You Can Depend on Me, Don't Blame Me, Lullaby in Rhythm (2 sides), and last half of Man I Love (first half on the Flipside delaminated and lost in shipment to me).

One disc of Lee singing with Bob Dunn - your driving me crazy, you are too beautiful, I'll remember April, embraceable you.  

Lots of cool stuff!  Gonna pack and send to Carol Tristano who will hopefully make them available eventually. Kinda worried about how to safely send to Paris...

Wow.

Massive cardboard sammich wrapped in bubble wrap upon bubble wrap, inside another larger box. Mailing 'em won't be cheap but I'm not sure that you need to pack them any differently than you would a pack of other fragile/rare records. They aren't shellac so they should be okay mailing as other rare records. If you need more specific packing advice I can try to help via messaging.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:39 PM, russes01 said:

Bought a bunch of acetates that are pretty cool. Tristano recordings and very early Lee Konitz & Lloyd Lifton.

The Lennie records are: 

Lennie Tristano Quartet - with accordion (Leon Sash?), bass, guitar.  6 tunes on 4 discs.  I found a new baby, night in Tunisia (2x), pick-up sticks, honeysuckle rose, one other tune.  Pretty good fidelity.

Lennie Tristano Trio - August 21, 1948. 3 tunes on one disc, Indiana, What is this thing called love, don't blame me. Noisy and faint - will need help.

Chubby Jackson Quartet - Lennie, Bauer, drummer. September 1946.  Happy Monster, Milton, (two of the accordion tunes are at the end of each side of this disc), Sherry, Wow.  Massive hum on the 4 tunes - sounds like the cutter was not grounded - will need help.

Lennie solo - one side - you can depend on me, just you - just me.  There is one more 7" solo  disc I put away for safekeeping and now can't find - but I will...I hope.

Flip side of I found a new baby is the end of a Konitz / Lifton version and a solo version by Lee of in a sentimental mood.  Flip side of the solo Lennie is I surrender dear by Konitz/Lifton band dated June 19, 1946. All the Lifton/Konitz tunes sound damn good. 

The rest of the Konitz/Lifton tunes are: Lover Man, How High the Moon (2sides), Poppity Pop, Memories of You, Out of Nowhere, My Blue Heaven, You Can Depend on Me, Don't Blame Me, Lullaby in Rhythm (2 sides), and last half of Man I Love (first half on the Flipside delaminated and lost in shipment to me).

One disc of Lee singing with Bob Dunn - your driving me crazy, you are too beautiful, I'll remember April, embraceable you.  

Lots of cool stuff!  Gonna pack and send to Carol Tristano who will hopefully make them available eventually. Kinda worried about how to safely send to Paris...

You should digitize them before you send them anywhere. If you ship them and they get lost or destroyed, they are gone forever. If you at least back them up before you send them out, they can live on in digital land.

7 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

You should digitize them before you send them anywhere. If you ship them and they get lost or destroyed, they are gone forever. If you at least back them up before you send them out, they can live on in digital land.

Agreed. Again, depending on where you live, I or someone else on the board can probably connect you with someone to help in case you need it.

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Agreed. Again, depending on where you live, I or someone else on the board can probably connect you with someone to help in case you need it.

If there is someone who could transfer them in the Minneapolis area I'd be happy to meet up.  The discs are recorded right to the label and my player for 78's (Dual 1229) does not have that much arc and even if it did - I have no digital recording equipment or even a tape deck for that matter - but 9 turntables.  There are a few samples on twitter where I recorded video, very dull to watch a speaker but worth it .  My twitter is @russjazz if anyone cares to hear. 

Edited by russes01

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rdavenport said:

s-l1600.jpg

Great is probably a bit strong. It's the most 1980s-sounding thing imaginable, with that nasty electronic drum beat. The inner sleeve is a reproduction of part of a comic strip drawn by Wayne in 1949.

Still, it's Wayne Shorter, for £1

Bought it when it first came out - a big fan of it back in the day ! (Joy Ryder too)

Haven’t played the vinyl in years so must dig it out.  Most definitely it will have aged - in the same way some of Miles’ stuff of the same vintage has ( and some if that stuff has been likened to cartoon backing music). Heavy handed rhythms - but it did match the zeitgeist of that particular time (Reagan and Maggie in power, shoulder pads,  yuppies with filofaxes :D)

On 6/5/2018 at 11:30 PM, russes01 said:

If there is someone who could transfer them in the Minneapolis area I'd be happy to meet up.  The discs are recorded right to the label and my player for 78's (Dual 1229) does not have that much arc and even if it did - I have no digital recording equipment or even a tape deck for that matter - but 9 turntables.  There are a few samples on twitter where I recorded video, very dull to watch a speaker but worth it .  My twitter is @russjazz if anyone cares to hear. 

Hey Russ, just followed you. I am asking around. I know some people int the music biz up there.

4 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Hey Russ, just followed you. I am asking around. I know some people int the music biz up there.

Cool, thanks! If it works we'll get copies to you and Jeff Crompton.  It's odd how difficult it is to find a home for something like this.  I first thought to give then to the Jazz Museum but no response at all. But probably better to be with Tristano - she has the mission to keep it alive.

On 6/18/2018 at 11:52 AM, russes01 said:

Cool, thanks! If it works we'll get copies to you and Jeff Crompton.  It's odd how difficult it is to find a home for something like this.  I first thought to give then to the Jazz Museum but no response at all. But probably better to be with Tristano - she has the mission to keep it alive.

Remarkable finds. I heard that Lennie sometimes played accordion in the early days.  Just maybe he put it on disc. Can you hear the piano behind the accordion?

Q.

4 hours ago, russes01 said:

Yep there is plenty of piano.  https://twitter.com/russjazz/status/999828976821592069?s=21  if you want to hear a twitter size snip.

Thanks for that. It certainly sounds like Billy Bauer on guitar, which would probably date it as 1946/7 in NY. Unfortunately I have no idea who the accordionist might be, but he can play!   Q

Picked up a copy of this on Sunday. A few marks which do not impact play. Plays beautifully on my stereo rig and even better on the mono setup. Nice and quiet press with a really great mix. Hayes' sax fills the room and the piano sparkles throughout. Glad to finally check this one off the list!

IMG_5591.JPG

Edited by spinlps