Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh crap, looks like I posted after only loading two items. Had to go back and add the rest. It seemed like a really good haul of (mostly) 20the Century classical in earlier recordings, mostly from the earlier 1970s. Looking forward to hearing what's up with that, as well as to hearing the Tatrai play Bartok.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Ok, I think this is it for a while. Again, not known to be "great", but hope is high.

61i%2BP9XuBZL._SL500_.jpg

Bartok Records?!?!?!? Check it out, wow: https://www.discogs.com/label/356652-Bart%C3%B3k-Records

Who ran Bartok records? Surely not Bartok himself. But it appears they are still in business, selling product! http://www.bartokrecords.com/

Bartók Records & Publications P.O. Box 399 Homosassa, FL 34487 U.S.A. Tel.: 352.382.2015

R-7882875-1452110044-5138.jpeg.jpg

from the collection of Evelyn Campos, of Garland, Evelyn, can you hear me? I got your record now.

R-1766067-1241965903.jpeg.jpg

This one was calling my name as soon as it flipped up.

R-7708298-1447168128-4457.jpeg.jpg

from 1952 & 1955. Love that cover.

R-1184080-1275680972.jpeg.jpg

Ives? String Quartets? I'm ready.

s-l300.jpg

Originally on Vox, wonder what the turnaround time to the budget label was?

R-7913398-1451524155-4645.jpeg.jpg

The Household Muse?!?!?!?!?!

R-7567501-1476565085-9914.jpeg.jpg

another Horenstein in the wild!

R-3883816-1481527708-4262.jpeg.jpg

NO idea what to expect here, but Time, Series 2000, 4.99, not something I'm leaving behind, just becuase.

R-5208695-1449305773-2902.jpeg.jpg

$2.00, seemed necessary.

R-1256321-1337356259-8486.jpeg.jpg

No idea again, but I like how they look like players on the way to a gig, not already playing one.

R-3302831-1327010731.jpeg.jpg

R-8019124-1453586171-1859.jpeg.jpg

The LPs are heavier than fuck, hopefully hte playing is as well.

If they're playable, I'd hold out high hopes for the Tatrai Bartok. The Berg disc almost certainly not. The Concord Quartet's Ives String Quartets are unsurpassed, I believe. The Horenstein/Schoenberg is a gem, though it's not the only Chamber Sym, No. 1 you should have (it's full of beans and insight but on the s-l-o-w side); the pianist in the Milhaud is a favorite in that repertoire; the Messiaen might be quite good, based on other things I've heard from those performers. Don't know the Amati ensemble; the Juilliard comes from a good time for them, if the cellist is still Claus Adam. That Horenstein Mahler 6 is a bit lacking in orchestral execution but certainly worth a listen. The DFD Mahler is before he began to over-emphasize things, IIRC. All in all, quite a haul.

24 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

If they're playable, I'd hold out high hopes for the Tatrai Bartok. The Berg disc almost certainly not. The Concord Quartet's Ives String Quartets are unsurpassed, I believe. The Horenstein/Schoenberg is a gem, though it's not the only Chamber Sym, No. 1 you should have (it's full of beans and insight but on the s-l-o-w side); the pianist in the Milhaud is a favorite in that repertoire; the Messiaen might be quite good, based on other things I've heard from those performers. Don't know the Amati ensemble; the Juilliard comes from a good time for them, if the cellist is still Claus Adam. That Horenstein Mahler 6 is a bit lacking in orchestral execution but certainly worth a listen. The DFD Mahler is before he began to over-emphasize things, IIRC. All in all, quite a haul.

And nothing over $4.99.

Sounds like some fun awaits, love it when that happens!

16 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

The Tatrai SQ performed the string quartets (admirably) in the Complete Bartok Edition on the Hungaroton label. These are probably the same recordings, but I'm afraid a budget label pressing isn't the best way to enjoy them.

The Household Muse ("La Muse Menagère") is actually Madeleine Milhaud, the composer's niece and also wife (she then became Madame Madeleine Milhaud-Milhaud :)), to whom the piano suite is dedicated. 

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, JSngry said:

Oh my god....this is some of the freest, loosest music I've ever heard. Literally made me drop everything and listen, and, eventually, dance. My record is scratchy, but even at that...the orchestra sounds like a freakin' village folk band, that's how free they are.

This is an amazing record.

Earl Coleman is wonderful. I bought this one for my best bud, who probably has no idea of its existence...like did I, until I bought one, on a hunch. Very tasteful, and I imagine, probably a commercial flop in 1968. Both of the ones I bought have a delete hole in the upper left corner. I wonder what happened to him.

Explorer Series is Ramnad Krishnan - Vidwan: Songs Of The Carnatic Tradition . Haven't played it yet.

5 minutes ago, soulpope said:

"Among his best" means competing with quite a large number of Art Farmer  recordings ....

My very personal "best" Farmer is "To Duke with Love", of course for the music and the superb company Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins, and last, but not least, because Mr. Farmer signed it for me with a nice dedication.......

Just now, Gheorghe said:

My very personal "best" Farmer is "To Duke with Love", of course for the music and the superb company Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins, and last, but not least, because Mr. Farmer signed it for me with a nice dedication.......

"To Duke With Love" (and both other East Wind albums) is superb as is "From Sweden With Love", ""From Vienna With Art", "The Time And The Place", the Jazztet recordings and so on .... the wealth of quality is enormous ....

8 hours ago, soulpope said:

"To Duke With Love" (and both other East Wind albums) is superb as is "From Sweden With Love", ""From Vienna With Art", "The Time And The Place", the Jazztet recordings and so on .... the wealth of quality is enormous ....

Don't forget about Modern Art.

On 3/24/2019 at 6:18 PM, JSngry said:

Ok, I think this is it for a while. Again, not known to be "great", but hope is high.

Ok, ANOTHER great find on this one - A 12" LP with this on one side and something else on the other, from an Amazon reseller for $9.99. Vinyl was heavy as fuck and also minty fresh - one little click on ONE revolution, everything else quiet like Euro ECM. Plus, the seller threw in an old Columbia mono for free! Looks fairly plowed, but hey, free, and a cover the is funny as hell, conveying as it does a time when people didn't know what they didn't know and played the shit out of what they did.

BR307-800.jpg

plus:

71YAtwctCLL._SX466_.jpg

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, ANOTHER great find on this one - A 12" LP with this on one side and something else on the other, from an Amazon reseller for $9.99. Vinyl was heavy as fuck and also minty fresh - one little click on ONE revolution, everything else quiet like Euro ECM. Plus, the seller threw in an old Columbia mono for free! Looks fairly plowed, but hey, free, and a cover the is funny as hell, conveying as it does a time when people didn't know what they didn't know and played the shit out of what they did.

BR307-800.jpg

plus:

71YAtwctCLL._SX466_.jpg

Now you need to start collecting Dial classical lps. I only have Dial 4 - Schoenberg 3rd Quartet, Dial 6 - Hovhaness pieces for piano solo, with violin, quartet (with flute, violin, tympani and strings) and a concerto for piano and orchestra and finally Dial 7 - Webern Sym op 21 and string quartets op 5 & 6.

Edited by Chuck Nessa