Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

THE JAZZ ODYSSEY OF JAMES RUSHING, ESQ. Columbia six-eye. VG to VG+, depending on if you're buying or selling.

The team of Jimmy Rushing & Jo Jones dead is more dangerous than most live muthaphukkers combined. Throw in Buddy Tate & Buck Clayton, and resistance is futile.

Them old folks was ROWDY! :g:g:g

The Jimmy Rushing vocal track on Ellington's Jazz Party always slays me! I like his other Columbia lps as well.

I found a bunch of radio broadcast lps from the bebop era, like the Dragon lp Bebop enters Sweden, with Dizzy Gillespie big band, Chubby Jackson group, James Moody; Charlie Parker's 1949 Carnegie Hall concert, and others. Also, Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All Stars on Omega, which sounds real nice.

Guest ariceffron

THAT HAMPTON LP IS ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD. I BROUGHT THAT ONE FOR HIM TO AUTOGRAPH WHEN I MET HIM A FEW YEARS AGO-- AND HE LOOKS UP AT ME FROM HIS WHEELCHAIR, AND HE SAID: "I SIGN 10 RECORDS AND 9 OF THEM HAVE COVERS I AIN'T NEVER SEEN BEFO'"

Jimmy Smith - Bucket (original Blue Note Pressing, cover is a little beat up, but the condition of the LP is pretty good) for $12 AUS (around $9 US)

Art Farmer Quartet featuring Jim Hall - Interaction (original 1963 Atlantic pressing, condition 'very good') for $8 AUS (around $6 US)

World Saxophone Quartet - Plays Duke Ellington (very good condition) for $8 AUS around $6 US

Miles Davis - ESP (original mint condition?) for $12.50 AUS (around $9.25 US)

Cedar Walton - First Set (original Steeplechase 1978, excellent condition) for $8 AUS (around $6 US)

Abdullah Ibrahim - Autobiography (very good to mint Double LP set on the 'Plainisphare' label) for $10 AUS (around $7.50 US)

Dave Burrell - Echo (Classic BYG recording, reissue on 'Affinity', very good condition) for $8 AUS (around $6 US)

Anthony Braxton - Seven Standards 1985, Volume 1 (Mint condition, features Braxton playing with Hank Jones!) for $8 AUS (around $6 US)

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Blacknuss (Mint condition) for $18 AUS (around $13.50 US)

Roland Kirk - We Three Kings (repressing, from the mid 70s) for $12.50 AUS (around $9.25 US)

So some rather nice LP purchases :)

Not bad value too.

Yesterday at my favourite used vinyl emporium, way downtown:

"Kings Of New Orleans" - Pete Fountain, Jack Teagarden, Eddie Condon, Earl Bostic, Pee Wee Hunt.

This is on a small label called "Design" and I gather that it was so low-end that it doesn't even have a track list on the cover, just an ad for other artists they've distributed on the label. $5.00

"Cozy Cole and other All-Time Jazz Stars"

This is Cozy, behind Coleman Hawkins, Rex Stewart, Tyree Glenn, Claude Hopkins, Billy Bauer, Arvell Shaw, Bobby Byrne, Eddie Safranski, Pee Wee Erwin, Cliff Leeman, Peanuts Hucko, Billy Maxted, Will Bradley, Trigger Alpert and Lou Stein.

Again, another el-cheapo label, "Colortone", an offshoot of Sparten Records, track list on the front, no cover notes, just advertising for their other releases on the back of the cover. $5.00

And, I saved the best for last, "The Individualism Of Pee Wee Russell"

with Ruby Braff and Red Richards, recorded live in Storyville, in 1952!!! WOW!!

It's a two-record set, immaculate condition and it has a super kick-ass version of St. James Infirmary that sends chills down my spine. $20.00

"Cozy Cole and other All-Time Jazz Stars" 

Cozy is ok, for sure

my latest trawl of LPs includes some performances I'd never heard of

Cozy Cole/Pete Johnson- All star sing Savoy Sessions- 2LPs 1944- plenty of Webster, Hawkins and many others- really surprised that this isn't better known

Shelly Manne- Geant de Jazz Vol 3 -Barclay - 1940's sessions with Hodges and Bigard !!!!

Earl Hines - Paris Session- Ducret- 1965 solo set, wonderful :wub:

John Lewis - P.O.V.- Columbia

Forrest westbrook a.o - This is their time- Revelation 11- freeish west coast date from 1969 :tup

and few others beside...all £2.50 each LP

Edited by Clunky

Hermeto Pascoal - LAGO DA CANOA MUNICIPO DE ARAPIRACA on Som de Gente.

$2.98, still sealed. Perfect pressing.

Hermeto is one WACK muthafukkah.

With deals like this, I'm tempted to say "Who NEEDS a CD player?!?!?!" :g:g:g

But that would be foolish. :(:(:(

John Lewis - P.O.V.- Columbia

I wonder if this truly GREAT album will ever be reisued as a CD? I am lucky to have a CDR .. but when I had vinyl I had three copies of this .. one of my alltime favorties... fantastic interplay between John Lewis, Richard Davis, and Mel Lewis ... ENJOY!

• 2 weeks later...

my vinyl cup overfloweth at present, goodies yesterday included

John Handy- In the vernacular (2LP) Roulette 1959 quartets,quintets

Andrew White- Vol 5 1975 Marathon- coltranesque musings

Billy Taylor- New Trio 1958- AmPar ( ?impulse) with Ed Thigpen debuting

Fats Waller- Live at the Yacht Club- good sounding air shot with racist announcer referring constantly to Fats as "boy" !!!! :rmad:

Wilber de Paris- Atlantic ( off the mosaic set?)- nice

plus some Artie Shaw, Hampton, Joe Buskin, Mel Powell, ....

Recent score, Sal Salvador "You Ain't Heard Nothing Yet" on Dauntless for 9.99 and Chuck Wayne "Tapestry" on Focus. The Salvador lp is a big band date with Joe Farrell, Nick Brignola and others. The Wayne is trio and features a couple of examples of jazz banjo in addition to Wayne's wonderful guitar work. Both in vg+/nm- condition.

my vinyl cup overfloweth at present, goodies yesterday included

Wilber de Paris- Atlantic ( off the mosaic set?)- nice

If it's a Wilbur De Paris album on Atlantic under his name, then it's on Collectables. Still very nice music.

Edited by Tjazz

• 2 weeks later...

Some notable recent vinyl finds:

Excellent - condition (better than vg+) Blue Note 1st pressings of:

"Midnight Blue" mono deep-groove (amazing sound!)

"Idle Moments" mono

Verve "trumpeter" label:

"Mulligan Meets Ben Webster" m-/m-

"Back To Back" Ellington/ Hodges in Near Mint condition!

Riverside blue label mono:

Joe Albany w/Warne Marsh m-/m-

Prestige yellow/black Bergenfield label:

"Mainstem" -Oliver Nelson w/ Joe Newman

You can still find 'em if you know where to look... ;)

I just picked up 10" Gerry Mullligan with Chet and Zoot on Pacific Jazz label for ten bucks on EBAY . Described as excellent. I guess it was a good deal, but who knows? :blink:

Sounds pretty good. Don't these usually go for at least $100?

I've got one of the Baker/Mulligan 10" disks. It has the quartet on one side plus the band with Lee Konitz on the other. One of the very ealy PJ releases, if I remember rightly.

I just received the e.p. on Imperial with Oscar Pettiford and Harry Babasin playing twin cellos with a combo. A typical Ebay "mint" record (i.e. NOT) but it's playable and it's cool to own it. And it cost me all of $1.99!

Edited by Pete B