Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I got a copy of Art Pepper's So In Love on Artists House records. I haven't put it on yet, but it looks mint. Comes with an insert with some nice pics, a bio and an LP "discography" that lists all the Lps he has appeared on (doesn't list tunes or other players though). $10

I happened to pick up an Artist House title the other day, too.

Hopefully, I'll like these. Have never heard them. I still see some sealed Black Lion titles around. Weren't they a budget label from 80's?

ORNETTE COLEMAN: Body Meta (Artist House) $5.25

ORNETTE COLEMAN: Tomorrow is the Question (Contemporary...original stereo :tup ) $20

THELONIOUS MONK: The Man I Love (Black Lion) $2.55

THELONIOUS MONK: Monk's Music (Gateway) $2.75

A whole stack of nice stuff yesterday. Including Duke Ellingon 'Money Jungle' UA mono UK original in mint and heavy vinyl for £8 and Ira Sullivan 'Horizons' Atlantic original for £5. Also a stack of mint Steeplechases for £5 each, including the Shepp/Parlan's and several of the Dex's.

I still see some sealed Black Lion titles around. Weren't they a budget label from 80's?

They've been around since the early 70s. Label run by Alan Bates, the white sleeve vinyl from Black Lion is a common sight over here. I've got one of the Monks (picture of him in blue and red sillouette, can't recall the title).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a wonderful dilemma. I was GIVEN a turntable the other day, brand-new condition, much newer than the one I have been using up until now. The new one has much nicer tone and balance, although the old one was perfectly fine. The problem is that it has only two speeds, 45 and 33 1/3. My old one also has 78 and I have several records that are 78. If I retire the old turntable, I won't be able to play the 78's.

So, if it were you, would you set up both turntables, in order to be able to play the 78's, risking ridicule and persecution from members of your family?

I can set up both, connected to the same sound system, sided by side, but apart from the 78 speed on the old turntable, the new one has rendered it redundant.

What to do??

Edited by patricia

I'd set 'em up side by side. If your family makes jokes about it, it hopefully won't last too long!

Thank you DoubleM. That's what I thought too, but I'm known for my "charming eccentricity" and thought I might be tempting fate in doing that. My family and friends are used to it though, so, that's what I'll do.

On to the finds:

Today, at my $1 a record source:

Things Can Only Get Better - Howard Jones [brand new. I have never heard of this guy. No liner notes, so, we'll see.]

The Academy Award Songs - two record set- Henry Mancini

The Ray Coniff album with the vocal version of The Godfather theme.

This is Henry Mancini - 2 record set - ALL his TV and movie themes.

The Readers Digest complete [mint] set, Great Stars Great Moments.

[i blush because I realize that I think I already have this, but minus one disc]

Louis Armstrong and Al Hirt play Dixieland Trumpet - 4 record set

BEAT - The Big Bands [liner notes in German] Johannes Fehring Und Sein Orchester.

Readers Digest - Down Memory Lane - 65 years of song hits. 10 discs - original packaging, mint condition. Again, I may have some of this, but not the whole set, so if I do, I'll replace it with this new one, as well as check on the other one I mentioned and do the same.

One turn table already qualifies you as eccentric. Two probably won't make you twice as eccentric.

Thank you so much. So, it's already too late?? I kind of like the idea of being eccentric. I pray that I don't end up destitute and therefore re-classified as crazy.:D

The young man who gave me my new turntable asked me if I wanted a "record table". I expected to have folding currency change hands but he thanked me for taking it off his hands. Sometimes, when you least expect it, stuff just drops into your lap. This was one of those times. :D

Edited by patricia

After telling this story to a few folks, they suggested that i should post it. I hope you all get a chuckle out of this.

For the last couple months i have been putting a big push on finding a number of titles in the Muse catolog that never made it to cd. Among them are two Charles Earland dates that have been eluding me. Every couple of days i would check Dusty Groove, Gemm,ebay and used vinyl sites, all to no avail. I really started to obsess on those sides.

About two weeks ago i was doing some work around the house and was looking for some lamp cord. I go into a storage area under the stairs that goes to the lower level of the house. As i am pawing around and moving boxes i glance over in the far corner and to my astonishment see a pile of about fifty albums.Well i start going through them and,you guessed it, there are the two Earland albums.

The only thing i can figure is that my ex wife threw them in there just to get them out of her way. That would have been 22 years ago.

This experience started me thinking that i should start visiting other areas of the house that i seldom go into. Who knows what i might find. For example, i could have swore we had more then two kids.

Like most things, this story does have a down side. None of the albums had Jackets or dust sleeves, so they were pretty trashed. I cleaned up the Earlands the best i could and recorded them, scratchs and all. I will replace them at some point,but i sleep better knowing that i have them.

I don't know if this was a great find, but it sure was a wierd find and i hope this story makes your day a bit lighter.

Bill, that's a good story. I have experienced something of the sort.

I have many thousands of LPs. Every once in a while, I go down to the basement and conduct my own "estate sale" forage through the shelves. I've often had that experience of, "I didn't know I had that!" The Bud Shank "Magical Mystery" LP I mentioned above is one of those. It's fun. It's also a lesson to myself to pay more attention to what I already have, than to what I want :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to a record convention today. Wanted to keep the purchases to a minimum but could not resist the following finds:

- Joe Albany 'This Is For Friends' (Musica),

- Jazz At Massey Hall (the Danish Debut LP in mint condition),

- Ran Blake 'Rapport' (Novus),

- Tete Montoliu 'Temas Brasilenos' (Ensayo),

- Warne Marsh 'Ne Plus Ultra' (Revelation),

- Ted Easton 'Salute to Duke Ellington' with Cootie Williams, Bud Freeman, Buddy Tate, Eddie Vinson and others featured (Riff),

- Muhal Richard Abrams 'Blues Forever' (Black Saint),

- Willie The Lion Smith and Jo Jones 'The Lion and the Tiger' (Jazz Odyssey),

- Phil Woods Quartet 'The Birth of the ERM' (a Philology double LP) with George Gruntz, Henri Texier and Daniel Humair in 1968 concerts.

Prices ranged from €2 (for the Willie The Lion Smith) to €15 for the Danish Debut!

Kept away from the (much) more expensive items like original Blue Notes, Actuel, Shandar, etc...

Went to a record convention today. Wanted to keep the purchases to a minimum but could not resist the following finds:

- Joe Albany 'This Is For Friends' (Musica),

- Jazz At Massey Hall (the Danish Debut LP in mint condition),

- Ran Blake 'Rapport' (Novus),

- Tete Montoliu 'Temas Brasilenos' (Ensayo),

- Warne Marsh 'Ne Plus Ultra' (Revelation),

- Ted Easton 'Salute to Duke Ellington' with Cootie Williams, Bud Freeman, Buddy Tate, Eddie Vinson and others featured (Riff),

- Muhal Richard Abrams 'Blues Forever' (Black Saint),

- Willie The Lion Smith and Jo Jones 'The Lion and the Tiger' (Jazz Odyssey),

- Phil Woods Quartet 'The Birth of the ERM' (a Philology double LP) with George Gruntz, Henri Texier and Daniel Humair in 1968 concerts.

Prices ranged from €2 (for the Willie The Lion Smith) to €15 for the Danish Debut!

Kept away from the (much) more expensive items like original Blue Notes, Actuel, Shandar, etc...

Brownie

Do you ever go to any of those street vendor fairs in the outlying arrondisements of Paris? I recall one near Montmartre, street after street of goods for sale. There were a few booths with LPs. One in particular had quite a large selection of jazz records.

I guess my larger question is what is the scene for buying jazz records in Paris?

Brownie

Do you ever go to any of those street vendor fairs in the outlying arrondisements of Paris? I recall one near Montmartre, street after street of goods for sale. There were a few booths with LPs. One in particular had quite a large selection of jazz records.

I guess my larger question is what is the scene for buying jazz records in Paris?

Used to go there a long time ago. The Porte de Vanves flea market was full of jazz treasures back then.

I've given up on the Paris street fairs several years ago after I found there was less and less jazz vinyls available.

I don't recall street sales in the Montmartre area unless you mean the Flea Market just north of Montmartre. The people who were selling vinyls (it was the best area for vinyls back in the 60s and 70s) have no more. They have been replaced by clothes vendors!

If you are looking for secondhand vinyls in Paris, the best stores are Paris Jazz Corner and CrocoJazz on the Left Bank but the interesting items have long gone or are at pretty steep prices!