Great Finds

desertblues

- Jazz At Massey Hall (the Danish Debut LP in mint condition),

Think I may just have pipped you in price on this one, Brownie - although the condition of yours may be a bit better. My copy of the Danish Debut was £8, found a couple of years ago. A great treat when you come across gems like this !

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ascenseur pour l'echafaud French 10" on Fontana for 10 bucks. Sounds amazing!

There were at least three editions of this 10-incher.

The original one - and the rarest - had the still photo of Jeanne Moreau from the film.

The second edition had the same cover with the title 'Prix Louis Delluc 1957'.

The third edition had the same cover with the title 'Prix Louis Delluc 1957 & Charles Cros 1958'.

Second and third editions of this Fontana soundtrack show up off and on around here.

If you have the first edition, then it's really a Great Find!

Bleecker & MacDougal: The Folk Scene of the 1960's (Elektra Records) Four lp set that I don't think made it to cd. No booklet though :angry:, but I have the book Positively 4th Street: The Lives and Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Farina and Richard Farina, which will flesh things out for me. Not bad for $8.00.

Scored at a local auction with a block bid for a whole bunch of OOP, mostly early BN Mosaic sets - most of them vinyl:

35#107 Ike Quebec& John Hardee (4LPs)

37#109 Complete Sid De Paris James P Johnson/Ed Hall Blue Notes (6 LPs)

38#146 Complete Decca Louis Armstrong (6 LPs)

39#110 Complete Sidney Bechet Blue Note (6 LPs)

40#119 Pete Johnson/Earl Hines/ Teddy Bunn Blue Note Session (1 LP)

41#115 Benny Morton/Jimmy Hamilton Swingtet Blue Notes (1 LP)

42#112 Complete Thelonious Monk Black Lion/Vogue (3CDs)

43#114 Complete Art Hodes Blues Notes (5 LPs)

44#123-4-5 Complete Commodore Jazz (66 LPs, all three parts)!!!

47#103 Complete Blue Note Albert Ammons&Meade Lux Lewis (3 LPs)

Outrageous ! :D Some of us have searched high and low across the global Mosaic domain (Anchorage to Katmandu) to secure some of the items on this list. How much did the 'bundle' cost, if you don't mind me asking? Those Commodores alone, in good nick, normally come in at around a 'k' or so.

Edited by sidewinder

Just found a very big stone, I think it's an old gospel 78 rpm records of stone age. The musician is called Moses, it contains ten tracks called Law 1, Law 2, ecc, the ASCAP author is someone called Lord (maybe he has some relation with Deep Purple John Lord). It costs ten euros, but I don't know if it worths the cost of transport.

Edited by porcy62

sidewinder 

Outrageous ! biggrin.gif Some of us have searched high and low across the global Mosaic domain (Anchorage to Katmandu) to secure some of the items on this list. How much did the 'bundle' cost, if you don't mind me asking? Those Commodores alone, in good nick, normally come in at around a 'k' or so.

This auction was a weird "good collecting luck that never happens to me" thing - I stumbled across it in a local losting (local being defined a bit loosely as I live in Davis CA near Sacramento and it was in Carlsbad down South). I made an offer that I thought was fair of $1000 for the whole bunch, including shipping/etc and he accepted without any bartering etc! In retrospect I should have offered a little less to start and then bargained if needed - but it seemed fair and really is. Basically I just figured the $10 per LP that these went for way back when from Mosaic and added it all up. A few of the spines of the boxes apparently have some cat scratch damage, although I have been reassured that all of the LPs and inner contents and rest of the boxes that do have scratches (e.g. the front photo art) are in mint to near mint condition.

So not a "steal" exactly but overall a very, very good deal, based on what I've seen these things go for on Ebay - even when they have gone for less exhorbitant prices. Sidewinder, you're right, just the Commodore boxes alone as a trio could fetch $1000 - in fact I was ready to pay that for them on Ebay not long ago but something made me hold off and I'm really glad I did.

$1000 is a WHOLE lot of money to pay for LPs all at once for me, but I'm willing to reduce my annual buying budget over the next year to absorb it, based on the scarcity of the material and the greatness of the music! Heck, I've been looking for an excuse to slow down and savor what I have anyway.

Edited by DrJ

Scored at a local auction with a block bid for a whole bunch of OOP, mostly early BN Mosaic sets - most of them vinyl:

35#107 Ike Quebec& John Hardee (4LPs)

37#109 Complete Sid De Paris James P Johnson/Ed Hall Blue Notes (6 LPs)

38#146 Complete Decca Louis Armstrong (6 LPs)

39#110 Complete Sidney Bechet Blue Note (6 LPs)

40#119 Pete Johnson/Earl Hines/ Teddy Bunn Blue Note Session (1 LP)

41#115 Benny Morton/Jimmy Hamilton Swingtet Blue Notes (1 LP)

42#112 Complete Thelonious Monk Black Lion/Vogue (3CDs)

43#114 Complete Art Hodes Blues Notes (5 LPs)

44#123-4-5 Complete Commodore Jazz (66 LPs, all three parts)!!!

47#103 Complete Blue Note Albert Ammons&Meade Lux Lewis (3 LPs)

By my quick calculations you saved :D around $700 based on the average Ebay price, since I've been keeping a log.

WTG!!!

Now.........

Get the turntable off the floor!!! :D

wolff  Posted on Nov 2 2004, 12:27 AM

By my quick calculations you saved biggrin.gif around $700 based on the average Ebay price, since I've been keeping a log.

WTG!!!

Now.........

Get the turntable off the floor!!! biggrin.gif

Hey, done, a long time ago! :lol:

I went for a Mapleshade Samson rack about 3 months ago, and my turntable now rests quite comfortably atop that in vibration-free bliss! :g Someday in the future, I'll probably get the bug to upgrade to a better turntable than my current Technics, but it will definitely have to wait, especially if I keep finding auctions!

Edited by DrJ

I'll bet that 'Bluesnik' sounds good. I came across a mono deepgroove last year. A few traces but the sonics are.. :wub:

Wonderful Contemporary Records find today. Copy of Shelly Manne & Friends 'Bells are Ringing' mono deepgroove. Brand spanking new, sealed even, with the original Contemporary mailing list flyer. It must have sat in some cupboard for 40-odd years !