Great Finds

desertblues

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Went to a record convention this weekend.

I did not want to spend more than €100 ($120) and thought I'ld be way under since jazz vinyls are not very well represented at the Paris conventions.

But I arrived just as a couple of sellers were setting up tables with hundreds of jazz vinyls. Some guy was discarding his collection, or at least a good part of it.

Lots of great stuff I already had (the rare Duke Ellington CBS twofers, the Count Basie CBS boxes of ten LPs, the RCA Fats Waller boxes, and many more. Masses of Ellingtonia, Basie, Armstrong, MaryLou Williams, BNs, etc... Most at pretty reasonable prices (not the BNs).

When I had finished going through the collection, here is what I got for my €100 (since I was their first buyer of the day, I was entitled to a discount!):

- Mezz Mezzrow A La Schola Cantorum (Ducretet Thompson),

- John Lewis & Hank Jones 'An Evening with Two Grand Pianos' (Little David/Atlantic),

- John Lewis & Hank Jones 'Piano Play House' (Toshiba),

- Don Ewell & Willie 'The Lion' Smith 'Grand Piano' (Sackville),

- Jo Jones 'The Drums' 'Jazz Odyssey twofer),

- Guy Lafitte Joue Charles Trenet (Black & Blue), the original version not the later reissue,

- The Pete Johnson/Earl Hines/Teddy Bunn BN Sessions' (Mosaic),

- Duke Ellington 'Solo' (President), a limited edition of 1,000,

- Paul Gonzalves 'Avec les Swingers et les Four Bones' (Riviera),

- Miles Davis All Stars, vol. 1 (Prestige ten-incher), the one with 'Bag's Groove' and 'Swing Spring' with Monk, Bags, etc...

All in mint condition except the Mezzrow (pretty good copy, though) and the Miles ten-incher (cover was in reasonable condition but it had broken seams, vinyl looks better than good).

The Jo Jones and the Mosaic will go to friends who are looking for those!

Most of their stuff was grabbed pretty fast by other buyers.

There was more worthy stuff available at other tables but I abstained until I came upon a beatup copy of the ultra rare Pretoria Georges Arvanitas Trio with Gene Taylor and Louis Hayes. This was up for grab at €10! Had to go overbudget on that one!

Now when did I already say I was giving up on buying vinyls? :(

That's a nice stash of vinyl, Brownie. I picked up some stuff myself today, but nothing to compare with your prices.

Pleased to pick up a mono original of Hampton Hawes' first Contemporary LP in mono though. The sleeve is taped but the deep groove vinyl is pretty well pristine.

Also picked up Terry Smith's LP on Lee Lambert records, with the Tony Lee trio. Very pleased to have found that one for £10.

About a week ago I found a beautifully and lovingly cared for copy of the 2-record "The Complete Benny Goodman - Vol VIII 1936-1939 at a thrift store for $2, which is the standard price there for vinyl. This set was at the local library for years, with the maintenence record still in the cover. They charge $1 per record.

The cover is perfectly preserved with a rigid plastic gate cover and the cover notes, inside, are written by Mort Good. It's on the BLUEBIRD label. I love the text on the label, "Electrically Recorded Phonograph Records".:cool:

A couple of weeks ago I found, at a slightly more pricey place where I usually get my vinyl, "Clifford Brown Ensemble featuring Zoot Sims" a ten-inch LP on Vogue label. Five dollars.

and

A ten-inch LP, "Trumpet Solos Extraordinary - Rafael Mendez - the world's Greatest Trumpet Virtuoso with orchestra directed by Victor Young"

Perfect. Wonderful sound. A bit pricier at $15.00.

Edited by patricia

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Records store shopping for a change.

I just picked up a lucky find: Sarah Vaughan "Hot Jazz" on a NM Remington 10" LP (RLP-1024) for $25 !

This is some really good music, a great album: Interlude, What More Can a Woman Do, Mean to Me, No Smokes Blue, East of the Sun, I'd Rather Have A Memory Than a Dream, Signing Off.

I hear Charlie Parker and Diz in the band among others! beautiful!, but I would like to know more precisely the rest of the personnel on these '44 recordings (originally Continental 78s). Many great players on these tracks.

"Interlude" a song with romantic lyrics by (Gillespie-Papparellie-Leveen {names as spelled on the label} contains the recognizable melody which would later become "Night In Tunisia" and now I understand that reference which is heard on the recently issued Diz and Bird at Town Hall 1945.

Anther find at another location this week was Joe Quijano Conjunto Cachana on an original Cesta Records LP CE-1000, given to me "on the house" by the guilt ridden "record nazi" (you know who I am talking about) thinking maybe it might encourage me to continue with future business which I will now do only when hell freezes over. There is a limit to how much abuse a customer should take from these abusive a-holes. At least the gift he thought was worthless turns out to be of value. Then I got a $45 parking ticket, so I guess there is no free lunch.

-Z

• 2 weeks later...

Vinyls purchases this weekend:

- Ben Webster 'In Hot House' (with Tete Montoliu on piano) a Dutch release which includes a four-page booklet - in Dutch :( - an LP that looks like a rare one. It was issued to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Hot House club in Leiden, Holland, with Ben Webster in superb form,

- 'L'Aventure du Jazz' a twofer release on Jazz Odyssey of the music recorded by people like Vic Dickenson, Buddy Tate, Budd Johnson, Cliff Jackson, Willie The Lion Smith, etc... for the film 'L'Aventure du Jazz' by Louis and Claudine Panassié (with liner notes by Hugues Panassié, Louis' father!),

- Eddie Durham (with Jimmy Nottingham, Red Richards, Leonard Gaskin, etc...) on British RCA, one of the sessions recorded by Albert McCarthy in 1973/1974.

All excellent copies at very reasonable prices!

- Ben Webster 'In Hot House' (with Tete Montoliu on piano) a Dutch release which includes a four-page booklet - in Dutch :( - an LP that looks like a rare one. It was issued to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Hot House club in Leiden, Holland, with Ben Webster in superb form,

isn't EKE BBB still looking for data on that release for his Tete discography? If you really need to know what those liners say, I can help you out of course!

isn't EKE BBB still looking for data on that release for his Tete discography? If you really need to know what those liners say, I can help you out of course!

EKE BBB had the details shortly after I brought the vinyl back home!

I'll pass your offer for a translation of the liner notes. My head is too confused already :g

Not my favorite record, but just snapped up a Pacific Jazz 1215, Bud Shank with Claude Williamson, Chuck Flores and Don Prell.

It's a deep-groove original pressing in STONE DEAD MINT condition--the jacket is VG with seam and spine wear and the MOTHER Of all corner dings.

It's a keeper, though. I didn't have an original pressing of this one until now.

$15

Not my favorite record, but just snapped up a Pacific Jazz 1215, Bud Shank with Claude Williamson, Chuck Flores and Don Prell.

It's a deep-groove original pressing in STONE DEAD MINT condition--the jacket is VG with seam and spine wear and the MOTHER Of all corner dings.

It's a keeper, though. I didn't have an original pressing of this one until now.

$15

That's not a bad price! According to this database this record was sold (on eBay?) in 2004 for $ 213!

BTW, these early Pacific Jazz LP's are quite hard to find, especially with a decent jacket. Jackets seem to be made of very heavy cardboard, so have often been split.

Peter

Records store shopping for a change.

I just picked up a lucky find: Sarah Vaughan "Hot Jazz" on a NM Remington 10" LP (RLP-1024) for $25 !

This is some really good music, a great album: Interlude, What More Can a Woman Do, Mean to Me, No Smokes Blue, East of the Sun, I'd Rather Have A Memory Than a Dream, Signing Off.

I hear Charlie Parker and Diz in the band among others! beautiful!, but I would like to know more precisely the rest of the personnel on these '44 recordings (originally Continental 78s). Many great players on these tracks.

"Interlude" a song with romantic lyrics by (Gillespie-Papparellie-Leveen {names as spelled on the label} contains the recognizable melody which would later become "Night In Tunisia" and now I understand that reference which is heard on the recently issued Diz and Bird at Town Hall 1945.

Anther find at another location this week was Joe Quijano Conjunto Cachana on an original Cesta Records LP CE-1000, given to me "on the house" by the guilt ridden "record nazi" (you know who I am talking about) thinking maybe it might encourage me to continue with future business which I will now do only when hell freezes over. There is a limit to how much abuse a customer should take from these abusive a-holes. At least the gift he thought was worthless turns out to be of value. Then I got a $45 parking ticket, so I guess there is no free lunch.

-Z

Charlie Parker (as); J.B. "Dizzy" Gillespie (tpt); Flip Phillips [Joseph Filipelli] (ts); Nat Jaffe (p); Tadd Dameron (p); Bill DeArango (g); Dillon "Curly" Russell (b); Max Roach (d); Sarah Vaughan (voc)

For Woman, Mean to Me, and I'd Rather Have..

I think I can find the rest later.