• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from my favourite vinyl source and these are the albums I found:

Images - Sarah Vaughan - Em Arcy label - 10"LP

All Time Favourites By Harry James - 10" LP on Columbia Masterworks Records

Bixology - 1924 - 1930. FOURTEEN record boxed set - Joker International label

Features The Wolverine Orchestra, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Eddie Lang, Miff Mole, Frankie Trumbauer, Joe Venuti, Adrian Rollini, Red Nichols, Pee Wee Russell, Hoagy Carmichael, Gene Krupa, Bing Crosby, Bud Freeman, Benny Goodman, Jack Teagarden and Bubby Miley.

Jack Teagarden - Giants of Jazz boxed set - Three records. Mint condition. I don't think that this has been played at all. The booklet is still there and I don't think it's been opened. Great pictures of Jack with everybody who was anyone during his career.

Muggsy Spanier - With Miff Mole, Lou McGarrity, Pee Wee Russell, Gene Schroeder and Carl Kress

Storyville label

All Star Swing Groups - Pete Johnson, Cozy Cole - The Savoy Sessions - Re-mastered from the original Savoy label by Arista.

Brook Benton Golden Hits Vol 2 - This was a find for me, because it has the only vocal version of "Walk On The Wild Side" on it, which I have been looking for, since I had this record in the early sixties. - Mercury label.

Pee Wee Russell and His Dixieland All Stars - Pickwick 33 label

Ray Charles Greatest Hits - His Masters' Voice label

and

Muggsy Spanier - Weary Blues - still sealed - on the Past Perfect Silver Line label.

Edited by patricia

Stumbled onto a few ECM on vinyl today, and couldn't leave w/o them:

Jan Garbarek - Wayfarer

Kenny Wheeler - Double, Double You

Keith Jarrett - Survivor's Suite

Keith Jarrett - Changes

Michael Mantler - Something There

Gary Peacock - Tales of Another

Kenny Wheeler - Double, Double You

Bobby Hutcherson - In the Vanguard (Landmark)

Bireli Lagrene - 15 (Antilles)

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more today:

Elvin Jones - Earth Jones

Pat Metheny - PMG

Pat Metheny - American Garage

Pat Metheny - New Chautauqua

Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear the Music

Charles Mingus - Black Saint & Sinner Lady ('86 issue, supposed audiophile vinyl)

Charles Mingus - Presents Charles Mingus

Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music ('84 edition, with DMM, if that's worth anything sound-wise)

and "Havana Jam" on Columbia - 2 LP set with Weather Report, Irakere, Steven Stills, Kris Kristofferson/Rita Coolidge, Trio of Doom (John McLaughlin, Tony Williams, & Jaco Pastorius), and the CBS Allstars (Dexter Gordon, Stan Getz, Jimmy Heath, Arthur Blythe, Woody Shaw, Hubert Laws, Bobby Hutcherson, Cedar Walton, Percy Heath, & Tony Williams) - this one looks interesting, at least as far as the jazz portion of the lineup...

Edited by Aggie87

Just found in my sister's garage some old classical records, Decca, DG, ecc.

The nicest is a first stereo pressing of Beethoven's symphonies where Karajan conduct Berliner Philarmoniker, the 1962 Karajan recording, the best of his Beethoven. After a hard cleaning they are still gorgeous.

I dare any digital supporters to store for more then twentyfive years some cds in a humid vault full of building material. :P

Edited by porcy62

There's not much at all - if you've been to Corpus I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. The occasional estate sale, and once in a while you may find something in one of the antique shops.

We have a Half-Price Books store as well (not a very good one), which is where I picked up the last ones. They appear to be copies that someone who used to be a local DJ back in the early 80's (when we maybe even had a jazz station) decided to unload.

These were in decent shape, and the price was right. Beggars can't be choosers...

• 3 weeks later...

I was just at a consignment store, looking for an unrelated gift for my wife's birthday, when I noticed a couple of crates of records that were labeled "vintage records, $2.75 each." Nothing in there super old, but a few good things ... some Moms Mabley records on Mercury ... but quite a few cool finds ... I think these boxes must have been dropped off by someone who used to work at a radio station (or knew someone who did). A lot of the discs were promos that had hardly (if ever) been played. The sleeves and inner sleeves were all intact. Some of the stuff I remember seeing there (I only bought one record):

Promo copy of Miles/Tadd Dameron in Paris 1949 (Columbia, 1979, promo, with promo catalog insert and head shot of miles from the late 40's (!))

Promo copy (near mint as far as the vinyl goes) of Brown/Roach Live at the Beehive in Chicago, 1955 (another late 70's Columbia, part of that "Contemporary Jazz Masters Series." I'm listening to this one now (the one i bought) ... very good).

Something I might go back for: Eddie Murphy's first 2 stand up albums on Columbia, Self-Titled and "Comedian," with "Comedian" being a limited promo picture disc version (!).

Anybody know if this stuff is worth much, monetarily? Quite a few of those LPs are certainly worth it as far as having in my collection ... I know it's probably a steal to get this kind of stuff for 2.75 a piece, but we're on kind of a budget at the moment (a new house and baby on the way will do that! :D )

Also, From that Columbia Series from the 70's was a Duke album , "Lost Session" or "Unknown Session" or something like that. From '62 I think. Anyone heard/have it?

Promo copy of Miles/Tadd Dameron in Paris 1949 (Columbia, 1979, promo, with promo catalog insert and head shot of miles from the late 40's (!))

Promo copy (near mint as far as the vinyl goes) of Brown/Roach Live at the Beehive in Chicago, 1955 (another late 70's Columbia, part of that "Contemporary Jazz Masters Series." I'm listening to this one now (the one i bought) ... very good).

I remember when that Miles/Dameron Paris set came out - at the time it was 'trumpeted' up quite a bit by CBS, even here in the UK, as a bit of a 'jazz dead sea scrolls' item. Certainly a nice find at $2.75 although I don't think it's particularly valuable. Its always great to come across nice stuff like this in crates when you aren't expecting it !

The Brown/Roach is one I wouldn't mind having myself. :tup

Found a few lps today for give-away prices-$1-2. They cleaned up a bit-I'm curious whether anyone has heard of this one:

Drummer Delights-Jazz Band Music Minus One Drummer-Sonny Truitt Quintet/Octet

Features Clark Terry, Nick Travis, Frank Rehak, Sonny Russo, Bob Wilber. The liner notes are all about Jim Chapin, a drummer, who is a new name to me-but give very little info on the session. Anybody know much about this session....

Part of the rest of the stash was "the Saxophone Section-Coleman Hawkins with Basie's reed section-Royal, Wess, Foster, and Fowlkes-on World Wide Records.

The Jazz Crusaders-Tough Talk Pacific Jazz Records- from the new Jazz Crusaders Mosaic...

Vido Musso-The Swingin'st- bought mostly just for the cool cover-lp barely plays.

For $3-the big investment- a VG+ copy of Shorty Rogers-"Plays Richard Rogers"

and to cap the day a sealed West Coast Classics-Chet Baker Featuring Russ Freeman CD for $7.

Not a bad haul..... :g

Edited by jazzkrow

Found a few lps today for give-away prices-$1-2. They cleaned up a bit-I'm curious whether anyone has heard of this one:

Drummer Delights-Jazz Band Music Minus One Drummer-Sonny Truitt Quintet/Octet

Features Clark Terry, Nick Travis, Frank Rehak, Sonny Russo, Bob Wilber. The liner notes are all about Jim Chapin, a drummer, who is a new name to me-but give very little info on the session. Anybody know much about this session....

This is one of those play-along instructional records from the 50's . Music Minus One is still around ; here is the link to the CD version of the above record .

As to Chapin , well , he's known more as an educator than as a performer , though he played drums in several big bands in the 40's . He'd be in his mid-80's today . His son was singer-songwriter Harry Chapin . Lots of info at his website .

Interestingly , Chapin did lead a date for Prestige in 1955 . The Jim Chapin Sextet featured Phil Woods and Billy Byers . This was reissued in 1977 on Classic Editions with the addition of 4 tunes . Here is the cover of the very rare Prestige 10" :

I had a couple great finds(financially speaking) the other day, and they were already on my shelves. :D

I read a comment on another board yesterday that the Johnny Cash American Recordings vinyl, from just a few years ago, were going for big bucks on eBay. There are 4 volumes and I have all 4.

So I checked ebay, and sure enough......they have gone from $50 to $282. :)

The Billie Holiday and Duke Ellington, Time/Life Giants of Jazz, 3 record boxed sets. Mint condition. Books still there. Three dollars each.

Just a couple of weeks ago I bought the Jack Teagarden 3 record boxed, same series, at my favourite vinyl emporium for twenty dollars.

I think I got a fabulous deal today.

Edited by patricia

The Billie Holiday and Duke Ellington, Time/Life Giants of Jazz, 3 record boxed sets. Mint condition. Books still there. Three dollars each.

Just a couple of weeks ago I bought the Jack Teagarden 3 record boxed, same series, at my favourite vinyl emporium for twenty dollars.

I think I got a fabulous deal today.

Six LPs of prime Billie and Duke for six bucks? Fabulous indeed.

I had a couple great finds(financially speaking) the other day, and they were already on my shelves. :D

I read a comment on another board yesterday that the Johnny Cash American Recordings vinyl, from just a few years ago, were going for big bucks on eBay. There are 4 volumes and I have all 4.

So I checked ebay, and sure enough......they have gone from $50 to $282. :)

Nice. I've been on the fence about this one. Please tell me more about these Lps. How's the packaging, etc.?