Great Finds

desertblues

also picked up another interesting LP: "Compositions of Fred Tompkins with Elvin Jones, Joe Farrell, Pepper Adams, Richard Williams, Jimmy Owens, Danny Repole, Richard Davis" (Festival 9001, stereo).

Would be interested to hear your opinion of that one. Passed on a copy of it a year or two back - I think it was about £6. Fred Tompkins of course is flautist on one of Elvin's Blue Note albums ('Polycurrents').

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first (and probably last) time in my life I hit the Mosaic motherlode today - and in London of all places. :o

LP sets:

Johnny Hodges (£30)

Herbie Nichols (£30)

Desmond/Hall (£30)

Baker/Mulligan (£25)

Quebec/Hardee (£25)

Clifford Brown (£30)

CD set - Basie Live (£50)

All immaculate and look unplayed. I even got additional bulk discount. :blush:

Wow!

If for any reason you feel like passing on the Hodges (assuming it's the first one?) and Quebec/Hardee, let me know and I'll give you my address within a second or two! :excited:

Yes, Tompkins is on one short tune that he also wrote - sort of chamber jazz - I found it a bit strange to find that in the middle of all the great power jazz on the EJ Mosaic... but still I couldn't pass that LP up (for about 4£)... will report back!

In the 'Poly-Currents' LP sleeve notes Elvin mentions that Tompkins was an old friend, serving at the time in the band of the US Army 2nd Armoured Division, Fort Hood, Texas !

Edited by sidewinder

For the first (and probably last) time in my life I hit the Mosaic motherlode today - and in London of all places. :o

LP sets:

Johnny Hodges (£30)

Herbie Nichols (£30)

Desmond/Hall (£30)

Baker/Mulligan (£25)

Quebec/Hardee (£25)

Clifford Brown (£30)

CD set - Basie Live (£50)

All immaculate and look unplayed. I even got additional bulk discount. :blush:

Wow!

If for any reason you feel like passing on the Hodges (assuming it's the first one?) and Quebec/Hardee, let me know and I'll give you my address within a second or two! :excited:

Double wow, now I see what you meat on another thread by your "London" collection. I thought you meant London Atlantics etc....

Excellent haul

Yes, Tompkins is on one short tune that he also wrote - sort of chamber jazz - I found it a bit strange to find that in the middle of all the great power jazz on the EJ Mosaic... but still I couldn't pass that LP up (for about 4£)... will report back!

I like that one. My LP copy is a little mangy though.

Found a good-looking copy of Ornette Coleman's "Crisis" today, also picked up another interesting LP: "Compositions of Fred Tompkins with Elvin Jones, Joe Farrell, Pepper Adams, Richard Williams, Jimmy Owens, Danny Repole, Richard Davis" (Festival 9001, stereo). Both of these for around 18 euro (two thirds for Ornette, one third for the Tompkins LP).

Will be a while until I can listen to them, but I'm looking forward to that a lot!

I have that Crisis album. It's a good one too. I'm pretty sure it hasn't seen a cd release yet.

Found a good-looking copy of Ornette Coleman's "Crisis" today, also picked up another interesting LP: "Compositions of Fred Tompkins with Elvin Jones, Joe Farrell, Pepper Adams, Richard Williams, Jimmy Owens, Danny Repole, Richard Davis" (Festival 9001, stereo). Both of these for around 18 euro (two thirds for Ornette, one third for the Tompkins LP).

Will be a while until I can listen to them, but I'm looking forward to that a lot!

I have that Crisis album. It's a good one too. I'm pretty sure it hasn't seen a cd release yet.

No cd and Ornette owns the tapes. The impulse! was originally announced as a 2 lp set, but......

I saw this for sale: 18 LPs by The Three Suns, only $1.00 each.

Vow, I bought them sight unseen. What a deal, I thought. My favorite piano player Gene Harris, how could I go wrong.

I got the LPs home, read a few back sides. What? No mention of Gene Harris. What are those strange names on the records?

So I dug out my old Down Beat review books looking for Three Suns. No there, but wait, here's The Three Sounds AND Gene Harris on piano. I get cold, my heart starts to flutter, I reach for the Bourbon and decide to play one of the Three Suns Lps.

WAIT! WAIT! My wife likes them, she does some research and tells me I've got most of the Three Sun's RCA LPs.

She says that I got a real find.

OK - I reach for another B.

Edited by StormP

No cd and Ornette owns the tapes. The impulse! was originally announced as a 2 lp set, but......

There was a book that came out around the time of the Crisis lp with the same name. It was all about the political/racial stuff going on at that time (1969 I think). I don't know if they were connnected in anyway, but based on the music, they could have been, even by accident.

• 2 weeks later...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GUESS WHAT AT THIS CHEAP-O METH FUELED THRFT STORE, SOME BLACK PERSON MUST OF GAVE SOME STUFF TO IT, CAUSE THERE WAS A *****WHOLE BUNCH OF 8-TRACK TAPES, ALL IN THE GENRE OF FUNK, AND DISCO-INFULENCED FUNK. *******

there were 3 L.T.D tapes, all this weird 70s diana ross and aretha ive never seen b4, but the one I got, was ****SEALED****** (cutout) :: "GIVE & TAKE"- by THE DYNAMIC SUPERIORS. let me tell u: right now its pretty dynamic and pretty superior. their bio says they formed in '63 but gordy didn't give them a contract until a decade later, '73. !!!! (???) (is that what he did, i know he made chirs clark work in the office as a secratary before she got her contract, but not for TEN fucking years-!!?? what the hell

Steve Lacy --Soprano Sax Prestige 7125

Saw it sitting in the yet to be priced bin at my local record store, on the floor. Asked to see it, wondering if it was the OJC. Take out the record. VG+ NYC DG!!!. I stuffed it back in the sleeve and my heart started pounding.

I ask the 20 year old multi-pierced girl behind the counter how much? She says, "Oh that's been here a while. It's really old. The manager can't come up with a price, but I'll ask him."

Needless to say, I've been looking for this record a while

I'm wondering if he says $50, I'll probably take it. $80? don't know.

5 minutes later, the manager comes down and says, "Is $10 ok?"

:excited:

Four years of hitting that store every month and sifting through Herb Alpert, Judy Garland, and Barbara Steisand records finally paid off. I'd rather do that than go back to the yard sale bit. The success rate on that is really slim.

I got a chance to play the record and it really sounds clean. Unfortunately, I was hoping that the music was a little bit more out there, but Lacy sounded pretty constrained.

I almost had a better score this weekend. I decided to drop in on a Goodwill thrift shop next to a Mexican restaurant I was eating at. After culling through a bunch of Montovani and Andy Williams, I pulled out an original thick, glossy Blue Note Sleeve of Donald Byrd At the Half Note (BLP 4060). Unfortunately, the sleeve was empty; no record.

I still bought it for 50 cents. You never know....