Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time i heard "The Phantom" , i was thrilled. The eponym song sounded hauntig and msterious...Now i cannot say this record amazes me like the first time. Its a good session, anyway.

Yes, that's how I feel, too. I sold the LP, with great regrets, in 1970 and didn't hear it again until I got the Water issue a few years ago. And...

MG

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled across an original copy of Burton Greene's LP on ESP disc at Salvation Army's LP bins the other day. Cost me $2.00. The jacket and disc are both in excellent shape.

Chances are the original buyer listened to one cut, freaked out, and put the LPs back in the jacket where it stayed for the next couple of decades.

I stumbled across an original copy of Burton Greene's LP on ESP disc at Salvation Army's LP bins the other day. Cost me $2.00. The jacket and disc are both in excellent shape.

Chances are the original buyer listened to one cut, freaked out, and put the LPs back in the jacket where it stayed for the next couple of decades.

The first one, with Marion Brown and Frank Smith? That's a bitch of a session. I think I paid $20 for it about ten years ago. The Columbia is still his best from the early period, but I like both ESPs.

The first one, with Marion Brown and Frank Smith? That's a bitch of a session. I think I paid $20 for it about ten years ago. The Columbia is still his best from the early period, but I like both ESPs.

Thats the one. I'd like to have more of the original ESP releases. They issued some crazy shit. :excited:

• 1 month later...

Five Prestige Miles Davis LPs, with yellow and black labels, New Jersey address:

Walkin', Dig, Relaxin', Collectors' Items, and Bags Groove.

Also, the Riverside anthology, The Soul of Jazz Piano.

All seemingly unplayed, from the same collection.

Vic Dickenson & Joe Thomas - Mainstream lp on Atlantic OG...Features: Johnny Letman, Dickie Wells, Buddy Tate, Buster Bailey, Herbie Nichols, Everett Barksdale, Bill Pemberton, Jimmie Crawford, Buck Clayton, Hal Singer, Herbie Hall, Al Williams, Danny Barker, Gene Ramey, Marquis Foster.

Nichols is nice!

I got this on Ebay for $6 because they spelled his name DickeRson! Noone else bid.

Edited by zanonesdelpueblo

Yesterday I picked up:

Faust - The Faust Tapes (Virgin) £9 (I would have paid up to £30 for a copy so good value for me!)

Bob Dylan - Freewheelin' (CBS) £6 (I'm filling out my Dylan collection as most of them are dirt cheap and I'd like to have them all sooner rather than later)

Unfortunately both have been played a fair bit and have some noticable surface noise. A problem with buying really good albums in first (or early) pressing I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Not the world's greatest deal, but I was the only bidder on Lou Donaldson's Midnight Sun on a recent eBay auction, so it was just $10. It is sealed though with a hole punch somewhere in the cover, and it is a Liberty pressing. Nonetheless, I was pleased*, as it normally goes for $15-20. When I went to pay, I realized this was bluenotesound or the like, and is clearly connected with Mosaic/True Blue, perhaps at an arm's distance. Just a little surprised that more people aren't tracking their auctions more carefully.

What I am more pleased about is that I only need LD+3 now and I will have the contents of the Donaldson Mosaic, so there's no need to toy with buying that anymore.

What I am more pleased about is that I only need LD+3 now and I will have the contents of the Donaldson Mosaic, so there's no need to toy with buying that anymore.

Get right on over to the Music Matters site and correct that problem with a 2x45 rpm. Sorted ! :)

Edited by sidewinder

Get right on over to the Music Matters site and correct that problem with a 2x45 rpm. Sorted ! :)

I noted that. Of course, there is a CD import and Dusty Groove has an LP version all for roughly the same price. I expect whichever one I buy, there will be a RVG of this coming out the following month!

Today I picked up:

Oscar Peterson Trio - A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra (Mono) (what a strange idea for a portrait series...)

Kronos Quartet Plays Sculthorpe, Sallinen, Glass, Nancarrow, Hendrix

Vladimir Ashkenazy - Chopin's Etudes Op. 10 and 25

Hans Rosbaud and Bernard Haitink- Stravinsky's Firebird Suite and Petrouchka

Some interesting stuff hopefully. I love Chopin and unbelieveably don't own the complete studies so look forward to delving in to that. I like Oscar Peterson and he perfectly fits some of my switch-off moods, and couldn't resist his readings of songs that are rarely anything to do with Sinatra in any concrete way. I have never heard the Kronos Quartet but noted the presence of a Finnish composer that my friend will find of great interest, and the Hendrix thing sounds fun. As for the Stravinsky, I have the Firebird in a Stokowski CD box set but the sounds is far from ideal and I think it might be worth having several versions of this. I've never heard Petrouchka so I look forward to that too.