Great Finds

desertblues

How about some great finds in vinyl? I'll start:

a really mint copy of Milt Jackson/Sonny Stitt "In The Beginning" on Galaxy! This baby is like unplayed and contains late 1940's tracks recorded in Detroit-24.95 at a used record store and worth it!

also by Sonny Stitt-a near mint copy of "Tune Up" on Cobblestone from the same store for $6.00. I probably don't need to point out that this is maybe the best thing he ever did...

a vg++/nm copy of Willis Jackson's "Cool Gator" lp on Prestige (yellow Bergenfield label). Way cool lp and kind of rare too-25 bucks from a private party.

Any other finds out there?

:excited:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes indeedy! I recently recalled a terrific LP by Denny Zeitlin called "Expansion" (from 1973). It was sold by mail order only, and a pianist friend of mine had it. I made an open-reel tape copy, which I no longer have.

I was delighted to find a copy on the Gemm website (www.gemm.com). When it arrived, it turned out to be mint! I was surprised to find a copy at all, let alone a good one. It is now safely transferred to CDr, in case the dog chews it.

Just landed what I hope will be a good 'un; its definitely a rare one.

As you may know, Jim R. and I have become quite fond of Eddie Higgins' playing and I stumbled across an LP that Eddie himself had forgotten about when he spoke to the individual who put together his on-line discography:

Warren Kime, Two of a Kime (Replica). Kime played trumpet and sang. It appears that this was Eddie's second or perhaps third recording date ever, around 1957 or 58. The discography says that Replica was a tiny label that mostly put out organ music for ice rinks and someone convinced the owner that he should put out some jazz records ... and shortly thereafter the company went belly up. Eddie definitely doesn't think it was a coincidence!

Just nabbed it on ebay for $10, once I get it and make a nice CDR, I may offer the original to Eddie, since he definitely does not have it in his archives.

Edited by Dan Gould

• 4 weeks later...

This find is a little dated, but it started the foundation of my collection.

When in the army band at west point in '82, I saw an ad in the paper for "jazz lps". The seller had played trumpet in new york, but had retired 12 years prior, and finally came the conclusion that he was never going to listen to the LPs anymore.

In his collection were Savoys, Riversides, Blue Notes, Pacific Jazz, etc. All told, he had 170 LPs, and they had the common theme of having trumpet players on them. He wanted $3 a pop, and I asked if he'd take $2 each if I took the whole lot. He went for it.

Most were in decent shape. The jewels in the set included "Introducing Lee Morgan" on Savoy, a handful of Hank Mobley (with Freddie), 5 Freddie Hubbard Blue Notes. a couple Jackie McLean Blue Notes (one with Charles Tolliver!) and nearly a dozen Messenger LPs. (w/ Freddie, Lee, Clifford, et al depending on the groups)

I counted myself fortunate to have read the paper that day! :rolleyes:

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Found today:

Tony Fruscella & Brew Moore: Fru'n Brew - a 1953 live date, Spotlite SPJ151

Tenors West: Jimmy Giuffre with the Marty Paich Octet (GNP Crescendo GNPS 9040)

Sal Salvador featuring Eddie Costa: Tribute to the Greats (originally on Bethlehem - BCP-74 -, mine's the Fresh Sound reissue.

ubu

I just got back from a week in Florida. We spent a lot of time hitting thrift shops, antique stores, etc. I came back with a lot of vinyl, but the jewel I came back with is a Louis Jordan LP on Mercury entitled "Somebody up there digs me" (MG 20242)

He cut all these tunes on his Decca sides already, but on this release he has Ernie Royal, Jimmy Cleveland, Budd Johnson, Sam Taylor, Ernie Hayes, Mickey Baker, Wendell Marshall, and Charlie Persip backing him up! His old tunes are re-arranged for this session by Quincy Jones.

This vinyl as well as the cover are both in nearly "like new" condition, which is remarkable considering it was released.

I nearly fell out of my chair when I read how much it is valued at (in the Goldmine book), but this one is staying! I grew up listening to Louis Jordan. He swings his ass off, and this LP is great! :rolleyes:

By the way, I have come to the conclusion that there are more Mantovani and Bert Kampfert LPs in Florida per capita than anywhere in the world. I never saw so many! I guess the oldsters who retire there bring them along. When they pass on, these horrid sides get sold in estate sales and end up flooding the used LP market. Too bad they suck! :blink:

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

When in the army band at west point in '82, I saw an ad in the paper for "jazz lps". The seller had played trumpet in new york, but had retired 12 years prior, and finally came the conclusion that he was never going to listen to the LPs anymore.

In his collection were Savoys, Riversides, Blue Notes, Pacific Jazz, etc. All told, he had 170 LPs, and they had the common theme of having trumpet players on them.

This reminds me (thank you!) of a local garage sale I went to, probably around that same time. Despite intense competition amongst collectors and dealers in this area for cool LP's (I think most of those Mantovani fans you're talking about move to Florida from HERE... :huh: ), I stumbled onto a box of old jazz LP's- in great condition- for fifty cents a pop. They were all trumpeters. CLIFFORD BROWN MEMORIAL and TROMPETA TOCCATA on BN; BYRD'S WORD on Savoy; THE REMARKABLE CARMELL JONES and JAZZ AT ANN ARBOR (Chet) on PJ; MODERN ART on UA; SMOOTH AS THE WIND on Riverside; TAKE TWELVE on Jazzland; WEST COAST WAILERS on Atlantic... and probably a couple of others. I picked up some great LP's and at very good prices in my time, but that was one of the greatest killings I ever made on one day.

Edited by Jim R

There was a record convention in Paris this weekend. Hadn't been to one of those in a long time. Some guy was selling a set of Japanese LPs I had not seen - or heard about - before. This was a series of ten albums 'Brand New Standard Vocals from New York' recorded by Sony in New York in 1987. I was interested in getting a couple of albums (by Sheila Jordan and Shirley Horn) but the guy would not accept selling single items. However he did make a very good offer for the full set. So here I have the full series.

This includes the following albums:

- Carol Sloane 'But Not For Me' (with Frank Wess and Tommy Flanagan),

- Lorez Alexandria 'My One and Only Love' (with Tommy Flanagan),

- Shirley Horn 'All Of Me' (with Frank Wess),

- Bobbe Norris 'You and the Night and the Music' (with Harry Allen on sax and Kenny Barron),

- Susannah McCorkle 'As Time Goes By' (with Jimmy Heath and Billy Taylor),

- Morgana King 'Stardust' (with Phil Woods and Billy Taylor),

- Sheila Jordan 'Body and Soul' (with Frank Wess and Kenny Barron),

- Vivian Lord 'Route 66' (with Jerry Gonzales on trumpet and Kenny Kirkland),

- Millie Vernon 'Over the Rainbow' (with Seldon Powell and Kenny Baron),

- Carmen Lundy 'Night and Day' (with Ricky Ford and Kenny Kirkland).

There is a full rhythm section (with people like Goerge Mraz, Al Foster, Ben Riley, Victor Lewis) on all the sessions.

The albums are all mint with stark impressionistic black and white covers.

I hate you! :g Seriously, any Blue Note lp I've bought of Smith's has had the crap played out of it, I just can't get a good copy to save my life. I have most of the Smith JRVs, but still, I would love to find a primo Smith lp that doesn't cost $50.00 plus. Amoeba has to have the highest priced lps I've ever seen, even ebay is cheaper than them.

A while ago I picked up the two-record John Hammond produced "From Spirituals to Swing Carnegie Hall Concerts 1938-1939 from 1973. Even the cover was in great shape. It's on Vangard.

This is a series of performances, live, which includes Basie's original orchestra, Benny Goodman's sextet, Meade Lux Lewis, Lester Young, Buck Clayton, Sidney Bechet, Tommy Ladnier, Bib Bill Broonzy, Joe Turner, Helen Humes, Charlie Christian, James P. Johnson, Lips Page, Jo Jones, Albert Ammons, Pete Johnson, Shad Collins, Kansas City Six, Dickie Wells, Lionel Hampton, Benny Morton and tons of others.

It's like I'm there.

As my vinyl collection grows [two good-sized rows now], I wonder, having read people's sources, what will happen to it when I finally check out. Will the whole collection go in a garage sale?? I feel the same way I did when I couldn't take my 2 cats with me when I moved. :( I know it won't matter, but I'd hate to think that my treasures will go to some twit who doesn't realize how carefully they were collected and how much pleasure they have given me.

Having jazz in common has brought me friends whom I would never have met otherwise.

Edited by patricia

A while ago I picked up the two-record John Hammond produced "From Spirituals to Swing Carnegie Hall Concerts 1938-1939 from 1973. Even the cover was in great shape. It's on Vangard.

Don't wanna spoil your fun - I had this double LP too, but sold it after buying this box set:

B00000JT6C.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

It has plenty of unreleased material, exhaustive annotation and better sound ...

As my vinyl collection grows [two good-sized rows now], I wonder, having read people's sources, what will happen to it when I finally check out. Will the whole collection go in a garage sale?? I feel the same way I did when I couldn't take my 2 cats with me when I moved. :( I know it won't matter, but I'd hate to think that my treasures will go to some twit who doesn't realize how carefully they were collected and how much pleasure they have given me.

Having jazz in common has brought me friends whom I would never have met otherwise.

I suggest you inherit your collection to some institution or some serious jazz lover you know - this is what will happen to my collection. I think this is the best - and least - one can do to keep it in circulation.

After more than 2 years of hoping to find the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Mosaic on vinyl (for a "realistic" price), I GOT IT :g . From a private seller who never played it-it's truly pristine mint condition! Paid $200, but I consider this a good deal - does anyone know what these bring on ebay? I haven't even seen this for sale for quite a while. Anyway, some other recent finds:

Somethin' Else - B.N. orig. w. 63rd mono Ex/Ex $40

H. Mobley Sextet w/Morgan & Byrd B.N. Jap King M/M $15

A while ago I picked up the two-record John Hammond produced  "From Spirituals to Swing Carnegie Hall Concerts 1938-1939 from 1973.  Even the cover was in great shape.  It's on Vangard.

Don't wanna spoil your fun - I had this double LP too, but sold it after buying this box set:

B00000JT6C.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

It has plenty of unreleased material, exhaustive annotation and better sound ...

I really enjoy my copy and I don't doubt that your set has better sound, but mine's just fine. It's in pristine condition and cost fifteen dollars at my vinyl heaven. I was just glad that I found it.

I feel like a kid in a candy store and there was one month that I miscalculated the domestic exchequor and actually got a notice from my building that I would be thrown out on the street, since I had overspent on records and was somewhat short. Such is my near-obsession. :blink::blink:

• 4 weeks later...

'Let's Have a Session', the Billy Bauer album on AdLib.

Been looking for that rarest of rare date from this master guitar player for years. Found a Japanese CD reissue of it. Never ran into a vinyl copy.

Wasn't even aware it had been reissued in Japan.

Edited by brownie