Great Finds

desertblues

The Music Exchange's liquidation sale continued in Kansas City for two weeks in October. I went on a day when a box of LPs went for $20. I was able to get about 80 LPs into the box, so I guess that is 25 cents each.

These included David Liebman's "Lookout Farm" and "Drum Ode", three volumes of Duke Ellington in the French RCA series, and many other worthy albums.

I believe I saw the Drum Ode lp on Saturday but I passed it up. What's it like? I don't remember who was on it. There were a couple of other Liebman albmums too but I can't recall the titles or labels.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found an original 10 inch copy of Laurinda Almeida Quartet (w/Bud Shank) on Pacific Jazz. The cover and record are vg+ which is what really surprised me. Every ten inch record I find is so beat up that I've almost given up looking at them. I was truly shocked at how quiet the vinyl played.

The birth place of U.S. bossanova?

I've got that one on 10" (the one with the dancer on the front sleeve). It's a VG/VG+ copy.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a pretty good deal on the Sonny Clark LP.

Found today for £0.98 in Oxfam (good credit-crunch price that) - 'Americans In Europe Vol 1' VHS tape of rare video recordings of Konitz with Bill Evans, Basie in Stockholm, Mingus In Stuttgart 1971 etc. I nearly missed it amongst all the Peters and Lee, Nana Mouskouri tat etc. :g

Edited by sidewinder

Sonny Clark Trio w/Max Roach and George Duvivier on Time (Original Stereo S2101 deep groove )--NM

$24

I know the Mono goes for hundreds more, but I still consider this a great find, no? I'm happy to replace my crappy fill-in recent reissue that is probably digital.

let me know if they have another one left !! :lol:

Sonny Clark Trio w/Max Roach and George Duvivier on Time (Original Stereo S2101 deep groove )--NM

$24

I know the Mono goes for hundreds more, but I still consider this a great find, no? I'm happy to replace my crappy fill-in recent reissue that is probably digital.

Is it sick of me that this makes me happy?

• 2 weeks later...

$24

Is it sick of me that this makes me happy?

Sort of, but you have to answer whether you would've paid $100 or more for the Clark. If not, then...

FWIW, I never would in a million years pay what I see some titles going for, even those that I'm lucky enough to already have. What economic crisis? :crazy:

Terry Gibbs Quartet TAKE IT FROM ME, his only Impulse! album, for $7

Don't know if this would be a "great find" or not, but I didn't even know it existed until I found it. Plus, I love this kind of lineup (vibes, guitar, bass, drums) and it features some of my favorite players (Gibbs, Kenny Burrell, Sam Jones, and Louis Hayes).

JJ Johnson Quartet--A Touch of Satin (Columbia 6 eye)

Art Ensemble of Chicago--People in Sorrow (Nessa N-3 Stereo)

Coleman Hawkins--The Hawk Talks (Decca Double EP Set ED-741)

All NM. Total: $40!

For a total of $50 I added:

David Holland Quartet--Conference of the Birds (ECM orig) NM

A bundle of great jazz hardbacks on Quartet, in absolutely pristine 1st edition condition (in fact, as new):

- John Chilton's bio of Coleman Hawkins

- Littweiler's bio of Ornette Coleman

- Mike Hennesey's bio of Kenny Clarke

- Mike Zwerin's book about the nazis and jazz

£40 the lot !

Edited by sidewinder

A bundle of great jazz hardbacks on Quartet, in absolutely pristine 1st edition condition (in fact, as new):

- John Chilton's bio of Coleman Hawkins

- Littweiler's bio of Ornette Coleman

- Mike Hennesey's bio of Kenny Clarke

- Mike Zwerin's book about the nazis and jazz

£40 the lot !

Will certainly keep you going over Xmas! I've got the Chilton on long-term loan from a library and have been at it for about three months!

Edited by BillF

Will certainly keep you going over Xmas! I've got the Chilton on long-term loan from a library and have been at it for about three months!

It's quite the tome, isn't it !

And that's not all - havealso recently got (or about to get) Richard Cook's Jazz Encyclopaedia (cheap), the new Penguin Guide and Nica's photography book but they are for Xmas !

Edited by sidewinder

This was a pretty good day for finding LPs with clean vinyl.

Mingus--The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (impulse, glossy cover, black and red label)

Rollins--East Broadway Rundown (Impulse, glossy, black and orange label)

Ahmad Jamal--Tranquility (Impulse black label)

Ahmad Jamal--Outertimeinnerspace (Impulse black and red label)

Brother Jack McDuff and David Newman -- Double Barrelled Soul (Atlantic, blue and green label)

Charlie Byrd--Byrdland (Columbia, two eyes)

Wes Montgomery--Bumpin' (Verve)

The Spirit of Charlie Parker--Frank Wess, Bobby Jaspar, Seldon Powell (Worldwide). This appears to be a Savoy affiliated label.

Luiz Bonfa--La Guitare D'Or Du Bresil (Fontana)

listening 2 a great find:

"remember last x-mas" b/w "spark plug" by Gus Jenkins

FLASH 45rpm

flash is a black run indie label so obsucre im pretty sure it falls even under the radar of organismo-- price paid? a whoppin' QUARTER!

Gus Jenkins' name rings a bell. I associate it with that of Plas Johnson for some reason.

Is this Flash records the one run by Charlie Reynolds?

MG

Got what looks like an American reissue of The Magic City by Sun Ra. It lists the label as Saturn but I am 100% sure it isn't an original as the condition is far too good. Only £10 so I'm happy!

Quite a few of the Saturns have been reissued in the US on LP during the last 10 years and they sound OK (in so much as a Sun Ra Saturn can sound OK, sound-wise). I have a few of them.

Got what looks like an American reissue of The Magic City by Sun Ra. It lists the label as Saturn but I am 100% sure it isn't an original as the condition is far too good. Only £10 so I'm happy!

Quite a few of the Saturns have been reissued in the US on LP during the last 10 years and they sound OK (in so much as a Sun Ra Saturn can sound OK, sound-wise). I have a few of them.

I might try and track down a few more as the sound is quite pleasing and there is far more low end on this recording compared to the MP3 version that I got from emusic a while ago.

FLASH 45rpm

flash is a black run indie label so obsucre im pretty sure it falls even under the radar of organismo-- price paid? a whoppin' QUARTER!

Gus Jenkins' name rings a bell. I associate it with that of Plas Johnson for some reason.

MG

That Flash records was run by Charlie Reynolds.

Gus Jenkins was a pianist who first recorded for Chess in the early 50's (unreleased until the 70's). He moved to L.A. and recorded for Specialty, Jake Porter's Combo label, and Flash, before starting two labels of his own in the 60's - Pioneer and General Artists. In later years, he was less active in music and had his own framing business.

FLASH 45rpm

MG

That Flash records was run by Charlie Reynolds.

Gus Jenkins was a pianist who first recorded for Chess in the early 50's (unreleased until the 70's). He moved to L.A. and recorded for Specialty, Jake Porter's Combo label, and Flash, before starting two labels of his own in the 60's - Pioneer and General Artists. In later years, he was less active in music and had his own framing business.

Thanks Paul.

MG