Great Finds

desertblues

11 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Went on a crate-digging excursion at our local #1 record store today . . .
Just as I had started on these crates he approached me with another item from the same collection, "Would you be interested in this too? Specially priced to sell ..." ;)
Whew ... the Japanese "Complete Keynote Collection" LP box set in excellent condition, complete with booklet, picture folio and the Tristano 45 😲 - priced at 75 EUR

Wow!  Great find for sure!  :tup :tup :tup 

I'd love to have that set.  

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Went on a crate-digging excursion at our local #1 record store today…

Now this has me wondering. It’s been a while since I’ve had the chance
to enjoy going to places like Zweitausendeins or Ludwig Beck, but now 
I’m wondering what would be considered the best in your area these days.
Maybe a place like M2?

• 2 weeks later...

Original 1963 Mono of Duke Ellington Meets Coleman  Hawkins in a tremendous NM- , both cover and record. Paid $10, couldn't believe it...

What a stupendous album, I remember playing my father's Melodiya-licensed LP when I was 9 or 10.  This is my find of the year so far.

For some reason those mainstream Impulses can be absolute bargains, yet stick a modernist player on the cover (or Paul Gonsalves) and prices can go through the roof.

Best I’ve done is probably a nice Ben Webster ‘See You At The Fair’ mono first press for £3. Alas, the shop is long gone.

31 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

😄

OK, so NM- sounds better than VG+ . Like overweight sounds better than fat. :Nod:  Believe me, it really is in tremendous shape, not even a light scratch, labels pristine. The jacket has a tiny delete hole in the bottom left. Comes with original paper sleeve. The sound is magical on this RVG recording.
The first pressings from 1960-1963 should have the familiar black-orange labels that say Product of Am-Par Record Corp., then from 1963-66 they say Product of ABC-Paramount, and from 1967-68 Product of ABC Records. After that the label design changes to red-black. 

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

For some reason those mainstream Impulses can be absolute bargains, yet stick a modernist player on the cover (or Paul Gonsalves) and prices can go through the roof.

Best I’ve done is probably a nice Ben Webster ‘See You At The Fair’ mono first press for £3. Alas, the shop is long gone.

You are probably right. Certainly when compared to its contemporary Prestige, with it's crappy vinyl, these could be an absolute bargain. When I was actively buying 22 years ago, I'd come across some real good, clean swing Impulse! titles for under a tener, but all I wanted was hard bop and modal. Those covers are so classy!

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

OK, so NM- sounds better than VG+ . Like overweight sounds better than fat. :Nod:  Believe me, it really is in tremendous shape, not even a light scratch, labels pristine. The jacket has a tiny delete hole in the bottom left. Comes with original paper sleeve. The sound is magical on this RVG recording.
The first pressings from 1960-1963 should have the familiar black-orange labels that say Product of Am-Par Record Corp., then from 1963-66 they say Product of ABC-Paramount, and from 1967-68 Product of ABC Records. After that the label design changes to red-black. 

You are probably right. Certainly when compared to its contemporary Prestige, with it's crappy vinyl, these could be an absolute bargain. When I was actively buying 22 years ago, I'd come across some real good, clean swing Impulse! titles for under a tener, but all I wanted was hard bop and modal. Those covers are so classy!

Yes, vintage Impulse releases look and feel superior to almost anything else from that time. Even the cut-out holes seemed to be razor sharp and looked very slick.

• 1 month later...