Great Finds

desertblues

The Billie Holiday and Duke Ellington, Time/Life Giants of Jazz, 3 record boxed sets. Mint condition. Books still there. Three dollars each.

Just a couple of weeks ago I bought the Jack Teagarden 3 record boxed, same series, at my favourite vinyl emporium for twenty dollars.

I think I got a fabulous deal today.

Six LPs of prime Billie and Duke for six bucks? Fabulous indeed.

I was almost as stoked as I am when I find a Jazz Tone that I don't have. :D

Edited by patricia

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a couple great finds(financially speaking) the other day, and they were already on my shelves. :D

I read a comment on another board yesterday that the Johnny Cash American Recordings vinyl, from just a few years ago, were going for big bucks on eBay. There are 4 volumes and I have all 4.

So I checked ebay, and sure enough......they have gone from $50 to $282. :)

Nice. I've been on the fence about this one. Please tell me more about these Lps. How's the packaging, etc.?

Nothiing special about the packaging. 3 of the 4 have very good sound.

I had a couple great finds(financially speaking) the other day, and they were already on my shelves. :D

I read a comment on another board yesterday that the Johnny Cash American Recordings vinyl, from just a few years ago, were going for big bucks on eBay. There are 4 volumes and I have all 4.

Nice. I've been on the fence about this one. Please tell me more about these Lps. How's the packaging, etc.?

Thanks. I wonder if the cd box has any additional material...

Thanks. I wonder if the cd box has any additional material...

I believe it does, but from what I hear the CD's suck compared to the vinyl. One other thing, and do not tell anyone, Rhino is coming out with vinyl re-issues in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Hall It's Nice to be With You - Jim Hall in Berlin $4

I LOVE this record! One of my favorite Jim Hall recordings. There is some beautiful really beautiful playing on this one.

And Tom...is that you? I think we may know each other from Dime.

Tim

May I join in on this eltitist vinyl-eating forum again?

Bought some vinyl again, just to be allowed in here...

Joe Malinga's Mandala feat. Clifford Thornton: "Tears for the Children of Soweto" (Canova CA113)

(can't find a scan, and not much info about it on the WWW either)

Günter Sommer et trois vieux amis: "Ascenseur pour le 28" (Nato 329)

nat329.gif

(partial front cover)

Marion Brown Quartet: "La Placita" Live in Willisau (Timeless SJP 108)

sjp108.jpgsjp108_back.jpg

(but the front cover is black/red/white, too, no yellow on mine!)

Phillip Wilson Quartet: "Live at Moers Festival" (Moers Music 01062)

(no scan either)

Now am I allowed to play with you again? ;)

who did that Sommer cover? Van den Boogaard? or maybe Schuiten?

A guy called Pierre Cornuel (conception and illustration).

This is in fact my beloved Zentralquartett (Sommer-Petrowsky-C.Bauer-Gumpert), rec. May 3 & 4, 1984 at théâtre Dunois (I guess that's in Paris? If they can record music and it's in France it's just got to be Paris, no need to mention that, especially...)

Just started playing it, a bit more out and wild than usual, at least that applies to the first tune (and to the tune on the 3CD "Chronatoscope", too).

This is in fact my beloved Zentralquartett (Sommer-Petrowsky-C.Bauer-Gumpert), rec. May 3 & 4, 1984 at théâtre Dunois (I guess that's in Paris? If they can record music and it's in France it's just got to be Paris, no need to mention that, especially...)

The Theatre Dunois is in southern Paris. It closed its jazz activities about ten years ago.

Some of their jazz concerts are available on videos they provided on their link:

http://www.dunoisjazz.info/TRESOR1.htm

Enjoy!

Joe Malinga's Mandala feat. Clifford Thornton: "Tears for the Children of Soweto" (Canova CA113)

I don't know much about it either, other than it's CT's last official recording AFAIK. It's a great record, though, and quite hard to find.

I don't know much about it either, other than it's CT's last official recording AFAIK. It's a great record, though, and quite hard to find.

Seems it's out on CD!

http://www.brambus.com/joemalinga/

cd-ithiggi.jpg

Ithi Gqi - $14.95

Tracks:

Umdrah

African Mood

No Net

Tears

Senecho

Usizi

Nina's Dance

Jabula

Kipit

Asambheni

For a time, Joe Malinga was the saxophone player at the side of Dollar Brand. This CD features a 70 minute long mixture of traditional Afro-Jazz and free form extemporization.

Any idea where the additional tracks are coming from?

The Theatre Dunois is in southern Paris. It closed its jazz activities about ten years ago.

Some of their jazz concerts are available on videos they provided on their link:

http://www.dunoisjazz.info/TRESOR1.htm

Enjoy!

I'll check these out, thanks for the link, brownie!

Btw: that phrase about Malinga being the sax player at Dollar Brand's side - that's a wrong translation from the Brambus site! The german version actually says something like: Malinga is kind of a pendant to Dollar Brand, only on sax, and earlier he worked with Brand (I guess that's *way* early, back in ZA in the early sixties?)

The prize of 16$ includes shipping but they only accept VISA (or cash or eurochecks of money transfer).

Yeah, I'd never heard anything about him either way, other than that he was from SA and lived in Switzerland in the '70s and '80s. I have the LP and like it very much, so I'd recommend the disc to anybody into SA jazz. I think I paid about $16 for the vinyl!

Then I beat you... they had an avant garde 50% off sale at the shop I bought the discs, and I paid around 30$ for all four of them! Full prize for the Malinga would have been around 17-18$.