Great Finds

desertblues

May I join in on this eltitist vinyl-eating forum again?

Bought some vinyl again, just to be allowed in here...

Joe Malinga's Mandala feat. Clifford Thornton: "Tears for the Children of Soweto" (Canova CA113)

(can't find a scan, and not much info about it on the WWW either)

I don't know much about it either, other than it's CT's last official recording AFAIK. It's a great record, though, and quite hard to find.

Seems it's out on CD!

http://www.brambus.com/joemalinga/

cd-ithiggi.jpg

Ithi Gqi - $14.95

Tracks:

Umdrah

African Mood

No Net

Tears

Senecho

Usizi

Nina's Dance

Jabula

Kipit

Asambheni

For a time, Joe Malinga was the saxophone player at the side of Dollar Brand. This CD features a 70 minute long mixture of traditional Afro-Jazz and free form extemporization.

Any idea where the additional tracks are coming from?

Moderately off-topic, but I just found a cut-out copy of this one at Amoeba ($4.99. There was also a $4.99 CD copy of Alabama Feeling, so I guess the ripple effect from the blogosphere is already showing).

Listening to it now, and I'm very impressed (maybe because I've been in a sort of SA bag, but...). This is one of the more diverse entries I've heard from the extended Jazz Epistles/Blue Notes axis--not exactly innovative, but stunningly played and extremely enjoyable. It's stylistically all over the map: mbaqanga, revved up, marabi-ish modal material (in the Johnny Dyani mode), some vaguely BYG-esque pan-Africanism, and many shades of Abdullah Ibrahim. Malinga is a uniquely engaging saxophonist--his mastery of freak-effects and a very malleable tone remind me of Dudu--and the band cooks... especially Thornton, who is phenomenally articulate and poised so late in the game (there's an alto/trombone duet that's enough to make your heart stop). Beautiful stuff.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One deal comes to mind when I lived in San Francisco. I found a totally MINT Beatles MMT in Mono in a record store for $3. This was a record store that sold mostly indies and alternative rock music, so they did not know what they had. Immediately after buying this I went to another record store across town that sold a lot of nice jazz. I negotiated an even trade for a NM/NM Horace Silver Six Pieces of Silver with Lexington Ave addresses on both album and cover.

They had the HS record for over a month with no buyers. They were asking $300 for it in 1993. Thats probably why. They sold the MMT I traded the next day for $250. Go figure.

Mark

345210.jpg

Edited by Footsurg

Not a great find from the $ers point of view, but some great music on some crappy plastic.

Nina Simone on Spin-O-Rama

Side A is what you would expect tons of noise and a fuzzy piano.

But side B is 5 cuts from "Leonard Feather Presents Bop" with Wallington (p) Phil Woods (as) Idrees Sulieman/Thad Jones (t) Curley Russell (b) Art Taylor/Denzel Best (d)

The vinyl is quiet and imho these guys are just on, Woods in particular.

I also picked up a crown lp with NAT KING COLE in 3" type and then at the bottom in little type it says something about Lester Young. It is really a Young lp with the two cuts on side A being with Cole and Red Callender and then the back are three cuts from various Aladdin sessions. I doubt this thing was ever played more than a few times and sounds great.

Usually when I see the Crown's, Spin-O-Rama's and other crap labels I don't even stop to look, glad I did today.

Finally found Randy Weston's "Destry Rides Again." First one I've seen in 24 years of looking.

Just wanted to brag about it.

I didn't realize it was so rare. I found a copy several years ago at a local record shop. Is yours mono or stereo? Mine is mono. It's one of my least favorite Weston albums too! Makes me think of my response to the What is rare? thread.

When I lived in Kyushu, Japan in the mid 90s I found a perfect sealed copy of the Art Ensemble of Chicago's Les Stances de Sophie on the French Pathe label. Its my only real "find". It was sealed in a kind of baggy with japanese import stickers all over all it in Kanji. Normally they were never sealed except for export. I don't even think that it was ever sold in significant numbers over there and my guess was that it was a sample copy sent out with a view to gain distribution. It just cost the equivalent of about 30$. I couldn't believe my luck but I have to say that when I compared it my later US pressing on Nessa , the sound, to my surprise and disappointment, wasn' half as good, so I've kept both! Maybe it's my turntable?

Edited by K1969

• 5 months later...

Found at my uncle's house the entire 78 albun "New 52nd Street Jazz" on RCA Victor.

Mint condition.

Another uncle bought it when he came home from WWII and never played it.

Dizzzy Gillespie's band: Bags, Don Byas, Al Haig J.C. Heard, Ray Brown & Bill DeArango

Colman Hawkin's band: Alan Eager, Charlie Shavers, Mary Osborne, Jimmy Jones, Pete Brown, Shelly Manne & Al McKibbon

I've heard these before, of course, but it must have been a shock to the people who heard the Dizzy sides after the long record ban.

NEW_52nd_STREET_JAZZ-thumb.jpg

PS: Looking at the post above, I have the Charles Sullivan also. Great player.

What happened to him?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This past weekend at a town-wide garage sale:

DJANGO REINHARDT 10" LPs

Dial LP with Blue cover

Angel LP

Orig Period MEMORIAL LPs - Vol 1 & Vol 2

CARL KRESS Capitol 10" LP

LAURINDO ALMEIDA Coral 10" LP

EACH ONE IN VERY GOOD++ CONDITION AND ONLY FOR $0.25 - I picked up a total of 20 LPs for a whopping $5

Edited by tjluke68

Today was a good LP day:

Duke Ellington--Jazz Party (Columbia Six Eyes)--looks unplayed--$8.

Modern Jazz Quartet--The Sheriff (Atlantic, blue and green label)--Cover is yellowed, but LP looks unplayed--$8

Chico Hamilton--The Demanding One--Flying Dutchman--also looks unplayed--$10.

• 4 weeks later...

Not that it's a particularly big deal since these are reissues, but I bought both of these sealed today for $5:

Johnny Griffin - The Little Giant - (Riverside/OJC)

Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Flies High - (Riverside/OJC)

Both are fan-fucking-tastic. I'd always wanted the Griff but never saw an original for a price I could afford. It slays, and I've been a doofus for waiting this long to get it... the Bean rec is fantastic, too.

"I didn't even have to use my AK - I guess it was a good day."

Two vinyls that crossed my path today (cost was €10 each):

- an original copy with the silvercolored embossed plastic cover of the Maurice Vander trio session 'Du Coté de Chez Swing' that came out in 1980 on the Night and Day label.

The cover was designed by none other than Francis Paudras. The cover is mint whic is not the case of the vinyl whic suffers from several scratch - the seller warned me of this default which explains the low selling rate of this much sought item,

2250.jpg

- a mint mono copy of the Charlie Parker Records 'Man With a Happy Sound' from bop singer Joe Carroll with t

wo BN participants Grant Green and ConradLister in the accompanying combo! Thisonelooks and plays beautifully!

Edited by brownie

Two vinyls that crossed my path today (cost was €10 each):

- a mint mono copy of the Charlie Parker Records 'Man With a Happy Sound' from bop singer Joe Carroll with two BN participants Grant Green and Conrad Lester in the accompanying combo! Thisonelooks and plays beautifully!

Nice record!! :rolleyes:

Well ok, not a "great find" yet, but I have a vinyl copy of Sonny Stitt's "The Hard Swing" on hold. It seems to be a black label deep groove "T" Verve logo. Vinyl's in good to fair shape and the cover's in really good shape except for the owner's name and "jazz" written on the back. They're asking $4.98 for it at Half Price books. So what's the concensus? Could it be a reprint or perhaps it happens to be a steal? Keep in mind that I don't know Verve vinyl very well, so if something's "obvious" just assume that I don't know it.

Thanks,

HG

post-5045-1192766781.jpg

Edited by Holy Ghost

I'd be a little leery of anything in "fair" (i.e., beat) condition ...think it came out first with the trumpeter logo but I could be mistaken.

Maybe I was being too critical with the vinyl. It has some light scrathes here and there but nothing major. It still has a pretty nice shine to it. The label on the cover does say "Clef Series" along with the Verve logo, so that would make sense.