Great Finds

desertblues

That 'Hard Swing' is the Verve original (labels of the Verve issues from that time carried the trumpeter logo).

At that price, I'ld buy it :mellow:

When I picked it up today, I realized that I made a couple of mistakes; good ones that is. First, it does have the trumpeter logo (and it looks like it has a deep groove, but I don't know enough about Verve to substantiate that) and not the "T" logo like I originally thought. Second, the cover, sans the writing on the back is in excellent shape: crisp colors, no ring wear and the spine, corners are sharp. There's a small split starting at the opening of the jacket and that's it. As for the vinyl, there are some spindel marks and a couple of hairline scratches. Besides that it still retains most of its original luster. I did go ahead and frame the cover; one of my favorite Verve jackets.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today got Count Basie Roulette Live Mosaic 12 LP set for £30 :excited:

Missed out by five minutes on getting Commodore Mosaics Vols 1,2,3 for £125 :tdown , not sure I'll get over it....

Good God Man - Shouldn't be allowed ! :blink:

Is this some a hithertoo previously unknown Mosaic paradise-on-earth North of the Border?

Edited by sidewinder

Today got Count Basie Roulette Live Mosaic 12 LP set for £30 :excited:

Missed out by five minutes on getting Commodore Mosaics Vols 1,2,3 for £125 :tdown , not sure I'll get over it....

Good God Man - Shouldn't be allowed ! :blink:

Is this some a hithertoo previously unknown Mosaic paradise-on-earth North of the Border?

First time in four years in this shop and no, there are no more !!

That 'Hard Swing' is the Verve original (labels of the Verve issues from that time carried the trumpeter logo).

At that price, I'ld buy it :mellow:

Ok, I was just reading the Verve label breakdown at the Orange Verve label thread, and I'm beginning to believe that I have somehow found a damn fine copy of this album. It does not look like either a stereo or MGM reissue (it has MG V-8306 and Verve Records, Inc. Made in the USA on the bottom of the label). It has the silver trumpeter logo on a black label and what looks like a deep groove. Besides some hairline scrathes here and there it still has a good deal of the its original luster. Did I somehow luck out here getting this bad boy for $4.98??? (Funny enough, they had a Debut/OJC of a Miles Davis record priced at a $100!) This album just seems to nice to be an original. Besides the dude's name and 'jazz' written in black marker on the back, this album was by and large well taken care of.

Any thoughts from the record experts?

That Miles Debut/OJC priced at $100 is wacko! Might be OK for an original Debut vinyl.

$4,98 would be OK for the OJC reissue!

And please stop rubbing it in... you did have a very good deal with that 'Hard Swing' LP :excited:

Ok, ok. ^_^ Honestly, I don't do much buying in the LP realm. Concerning the Debut/OJC business, I told the manager about it (who I know pretty well) and later on in the week I saw it repriced at $20!!! :huh:

That Miles Debut/OJC priced at $100 is wacko! Might be OK for an original Debut vinyl.

And please stop rubbing it in... you did have a very good deal with that 'Hard Swing' LP :excited:

Ok, ok. ^_^ Honestly, I don't do much buying in the LP realm. Concerning the Debut/OJC business, I told the manager about it (who I know pretty well) and later on in the week I saw it repriced at $20!!! :huh:

Still highway robbery!

Still highway robbery!

No kidding, but I think I'd be really pushing it telling him that that's too pricey. Like Brownie said, the OJC should be at most $4.98 :wacko:

Edited by Holy Ghost

• 2 weeks later...

A pretty good day in the vinyl find department:

Terry Gibbs (Emarcy)

Herbie Mann--Sam Most Quintet (Bethleham)

Milt Jackson--Ballads and Blues (Atlantic black label)

Ahmad Jamal Trio (Epic)

Charlie Ventura--Adventure with Charlie (King)

Dave Brubeck--Time Further Out (Columbia six eyes).

All originals, I believe. Less than $45 for the lot.

• 2 weeks later...

For the first (and probably last) time in my life I hit the Mosaic motherlode today - and in London of all places. :o

LP sets:

Johnny Hodges (£30)

Herbie Nichols (£30)

Desmond/Hall (£30)

Baker/Mulligan (£25)

Quebec/Hardee (£25)

Clifford Brown (£30)

CD set - Basie Live (£50)

All immaculate and look unplayed. I even got additional bulk discount. :blush:

For the first (and probably last) time in my life I hit the Mosaic motherlode today - and in London of all places. :o

LP sets:

Johnny Hodges (£30)

Herbie Nichols (£30)

Desmond/Hall (£30)

Baker/Mulligan (£25)

Quebec/Hardee (£25)

Clifford Brown (£30)

CD set - Basie Live (£50)

All immaculate and look unplayed. I even got additional bulk discount. :blush:

Great find, indeed :rolleyes:

The sets could not find a worthier home! Congratulations!

Thanks Brownie ! I woke up, realising it's not a dream (that and the fabulous Charles Tolliver concert :) ).

One of the sets looks as if it has the first Mosaic catalogue and flyer in there, seemingly preserved in aspic !

I nearly got all of the sets that they had in. A Kenton 'Holman/Russo' LP set sold before this lot (must have been £25 too) but somehow the buyer missed the other sets or must have been a Kenton-only freak. I have that set, so that's OK.

As they were high up on a shelf and price wasn't clearly visible, I fear lots of people must have eyed them but asumed they were priced much more. Only when I asked for them to be taken down was the good news revealed.

Edited by sidewinder

Another good vinyl find day for me:

Stan Getz at Storyville (Roost)

Clifford Jordan--These Are My Roots (Atlantic mono, purple and orange label)

Dave Brubeck--Countdown, Time in Outer Space (Columbia six eyes)

Miles Davis--Quiet Nights (Columbia two eyes)

Jonah Jones--Trumpet on Tour (Baronet). This one was still sealed. Perhaps Baronet was a budget label? I couldn't resist with Jones joined by Sam Price, Vic Dickenson, Pete Brown, Milt Hinton and Cozy Cole.

Jonah Jones--Trumpet on Tour (Baronet). This one was still sealed. Perhaps Baronet was a budget label? I couldn't resist with Jones joined by Sam Price, Vic Dickenson, Pete Brown, Milt Hinton and Cozy Cole.

Baronet was a budget reissue label. That Jonah Jones session is excellent. It was originally released on Jazztone as by Sammy Price.

Beside Jazztone, Baronet also released material from Dial and Roost on other LPs.

I found a green/blue stereo version in Nashville a couple of years ago. Being a fan of Clifford Jordan I knew I wanted it even though at the time, the instrumentation seemed a little odd. I was pleasantly surprised when I got it home and gave it a spin. I really like it and it's one of the most interesting jazz albums I own. I'm pretty confident it will never see a cd reissue.

I found a green/blue stereo version in Nashville a couple of years ago. Being a fan of Clifford Jordan I knew I wanted it even though at the time, the instrumentation seemed a little odd. I was pleasantly surprised when I got it home and gave it a spin. I really like it and it's one of the most interesting jazz albums I own. I'm pretty confident it will never see a cd reissue.

From Amazon:

These Are My Roots: Clifford Jordan Plays Leadbelly by Leadbelly (Tribute) and Clifford Jordan (Audio CD - 1999)

11 Used & new from $7.75

From Amazon:

These Are My Roots: Clifford Jordan Plays Leadbelly by Leadbelly (Tribute) and Clifford Jordan (Audio CD - 1999)

11 Used & new from $7.75

I have the CD also.

Just collected for free one hundred records from a friend of a friend, that wanted to get rid of them. Mostly crap, but some Riverside and Impulse! plus some rock and Glenn Gould box sets. And a big bunch of the stuff that Teasing The Korean would love. I didn't listened to any of them yet, so maybe I could have been only the garbage man.

From Amazon:

11 Used & new from $7.75

I have the CD also.

That really surprises me. Not that someone owns it on cd, but that it was released as such. My lp was cheaper than those cds though. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

It's been quite a good year... here are some of the gems that have found their way into our record shelves...

- Clifford Thornton - Freedom & Unity (Third World)

- Art Ensemble of Chicago - Phase One (America)

- Art Ensemble of Chicago - Kabalaba (AEOC)

- Archie Shepp - Black Gypsy (America)

- New York Art Quartet - Consequences (Fontana)

- Marion Brown - Afternoon Of A Georgia Faun (ECM)

- Music Inc. - Live at Slugs Vol. 1 (Strata East)

- Bob James Trio - Explosions (ESP-Disk)

- John Coltrane - Ascension: Edition I (Impulse)

in addition to the above i got my hands on a bunch of Sun Ra's Impulse promos (fate in a pleasant mood, super-sonic jazz, pathways to unknown worlds...)

and some nice additions from the BYG/Actuel catalog (Jacques Coursil's Black Suite; Arthur Jones' Scorpio; Dave Burrel's Echo;

Art Ensemble's Reese and the Smooth Ones; Grachan Moncur's New Africa...)

all in all, it's been a jazz-filled year... keeping my fingers crossed to find one or two more under the christmas tree...

Edited by moonshine

• 2 weeks later...

Found a good-looking copy of Ornette Coleman's "Crisis" today, also picked up another interesting LP: "Compositions of Fred Tompkins with Elvin Jones, Joe Farrell, Pepper Adams, Richard Williams, Jimmy Owens, Danny Repole, Richard Davis" (Festival 9001, stereo). Both of these for around 18 euro (two thirds for Ornette, one third for the Tompkins LP).

Will be a while until I can listen to them, but I'm looking forward to that a lot!