Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got a mono Introducing Linda Lawson west coast jazz rarity, scrated but very playable, .99 cent- she looks as hot in person on the lp cover as she did in facimile/ yes its true, marty paich arrengements with shank rowles flory perkins, tpt sec. of al porcino, stu w., jack sheldon, rosolino, bill pittman (?) guiatr, joe mondrfagon, mel lewis...on tk 3, still waiting for a bill perkins solo.....oh wait, there it was!

• 2 weeks later...

Duke Ellington - The Age of Ellington 3LP set £4

Picked that one up for £3 a few years ago. It's extremely good ! (RCA I think) :tup

Yep indeed it's RCA. Sound is pretty good and the selection is interesting too. Nice to finally hear the Far East Suite and some of the spiritual cuts which I was suprised at how much I enjoyed.

Yes. My understanding is that it's part of some material that Tony Scott recorded on his own and shopped around. There was this album on Carlton, one on Seeco, and some odd tracks that showed up on compilation albums on Harmony and Perfect. I think an alternate or perhaps edited take of one tune also shows up on a compilation on Allegro. Most or all of the material showed up on a 2-CD set on Fresh Sound several years ago. Good material. Scott plays clarinet and baritone sax.

There may be more information on line on a Tony Scott home page. I'll post a link if I can find it quickly.

Free Blown Jazz by Tony Scott and Jimmy Knepper on Carlton. Features Bill Evans, Clark Terry, Paul Motian, Sahib Shihab.

Anyone know anything about this one?

OK. Here's a bit more information from the official Tony Scott website:

>>>

Scott went back to the USA and on the 16th of November 1957, in only one day, Tony’s Quartet, Quintet, and Sextet ,composed of Bill Evans(p), Henry Grimes(b), Paul Motian(d), Jimmy Knepper(tb), Sahib Shihab(bar), and Clark Terry(tp) recorded all of the following:

* Perfect 12010 My Kind of Jazz

* Seeco 425 The Modern Art of Jazz

* Carlton 12-113 Free Blown Jazz

And the following songs: A Shoulder to Cry On and At Home With the Blues (on Harmony 7196); Over and Over, the alternative track of The Chant (on Allegro (E) ALL 737); and Francy Pants (issued on Dick Garcia-The Hi-FI Land of Jazz -Seeco 428).

>>>

So, amend my earlier response. The album on Perfect was not a compilation.

Yes. My understanding is that it's part of some material that Tony Scott recorded on his own and shopped around. There was this album on Carlton, one on Seeco, and some odd tracks that showed up on compilation albums on Harmony and Perfect. I think an alternate or perhaps edited take of one tune also shows up on a compilation on Allegro. Most or all of the material showed up on a 2-CD set on Fresh Sound several years ago. Good material. Scott plays clarinet and baritone sax.

There may be more information on line on a Tony Scott home page. I'll post a link if I can find it quickly.

Free Blown Jazz by Tony Scott and Jimmy Knepper on Carlton. Features Bill Evans, Clark Terry, Paul Motian, Sahib Shihab.

Anyone know anything about this one?

• 4 weeks later...

not sure if any of these qualify as great finds, but all were cheap (except the Eubie Blake cost around 12 €, but for a double LP...)

Count Basie/Joe Turner - The Bosses (Pablo)

Joe Albany - Portrait of an Artist (Elektra)

The Trumpet Album (Savoy) - arr. by Ernie Wilkins, feat. Shorty Baker, Emmett Berry, Art Farmer, Ernie Royal, Charlie Shavers on the first LP, and Donald Byrd, Ray Copeland, Royal, Idrees Sulieman, Joe Wilder on the second LP (with Don Abney, Wendell Marshall, Bobby Donaldson (LP1), Kenny Clarke (LP2)

Friedhelm Schönfeld (Amiga Jazz)

Polish Jazz 1946-1956: From "Improvising Jazz" Series, Early Polish Piano Players (Polish Jazz Archive Series, Vol. 4)

Charlie Rouse - Cinnamon Flower (Douglas)

Erroll Garner - Play It Again, Erroll! (Columbia 2LP)

Eubie Blake - The Eighty-Six Years of Eubie Blake (CBS 2LP)

Spinning "The Bosses" right now, lovely (and featuring the late great Louis Bellson on drums)

• 2 months later...

Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams 'At The Half Note Cafe Vol 1' on Blue Note - deep groove stereo 47W63rd first press. A whopping £9 - lots of scratches but after a clean it sounds fabulous, just the occasional light tick. Lam cover excellent condition. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Ok, no vinyl expert (and no turntable for that matter) but how rare is the Tommy Turrentine record on Time? There's an excellent copy (very clean vinyl, no splits or ring wear on the jacket) I have on hold at Half Price for $4. Also, there's a slew of Brubeck 6 eyes there two, and one is still actually sealed in the plastic bag (Eurasia I think) and one I never heard of (the Riddle w/ Bill Smith). These are $4 too. Take the plunge?

Edited by Holy Ghost

Buy that Turrentine and then send it to me! Heh..

So I take it to be somewhat of a gem?

Man, I'll buy it just for the album cover. There's no date on it, so I can't tell what issue it is, but based on the inner sleeve, which is this old crumbly wax paper, it seems to be an original issue.

Buy that Turrentine and then send it to me! Heh..

So I take it to be somewhat of a gem?

Musically, yes. Probably has value for collectors, but I'm not into that. It's a 5/4 piece on that album (don't recall the title) that led to the claim that Desmond's "Take Five" was lifted from that piece. IIRC this claim was weighed in Doug Ramsey's Desmond bio and found wanting.

P.S. From a post I made on another forum a year or so ago:

...claims were made by members of Max Roach's group of the early 1960s that "Take Five" had been stolen by Desmond from a piece in 5/4 that the Roach group played. I know that piece, Tommy Turrentine and Julian Priester's "Long As You're Living," and it's a gem; but aside from the 5/4 meter and the fact that both pieces have an insistent bass pattern, it bears not much resemblance to "Take Five," certainly not in terms of melody. For a discussion of this issue, see p. 208 of Doug Ramsey's biography of Desmond, "Take Five."