Great Finds

desertblues

Ok, no vinyl expert (and no turntable for that matter) but how rare is the Tommy Turrentine record on Time? There's an excellent copy (very clean vinyl, no splits or ring wear on the jacket) I have on hold at Half Price for $4. Also, there's a slew of Brubeck 6 eyes there two, and one is still actually sealed in the plastic bag (Eurasia I think) and one I never heard of (the Riddle w/ Bill Smith). These are $4 too. Take the plunge?

Yes, I would, especially at that price; I usually like those Columbia Brubeck records. And Columbia six eyes LPs are finely made and have wonderful sound.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. From a post I made on another forum a year or so ago:

...claims were made by members of Max Roach's group of the early 1960s that "Take Five" had been stolen by Desmond from a piece in 5/4 that the Roach group played. I know that piece, Tommy Turrentine and Julian Priester's "Long As You're Living," and it's a gem; but aside from the 5/4 meter and the fact that both pieces have an insistent bass pattern, it bears not much resemblance to "Take Five," certainly not in terms of melody. For a discussion of this issue, see p. 208 of Doug Ramsey's biography of Desmond, "Take Five."

Can't copyright a time signature. ;)

Ok, no vinyl expert (and no turntable for that matter) but how rare is the Tommy Turrentine record on Time? There's an excellent copy (very clean vinyl, no splits or ring wear on the jacket) I have on hold at Half Price for $4. Also, there's a slew of Brubeck 6 eyes there two, and one is still actually sealed in the plastic bag (Eurasia I think) and one I never heard of (the Riddle w/ Bill Smith). These are $4 too. Take the plunge?

Yes, I would, especially at that price; I usually like those Columbia Brubeck records. And Columbia six eyes LPs are finely made and have wonderful sound.

This Tommy Turrentine album is a gem. It is a fine hard bop session.

This Tommy Turrentine album is a gem. It is a fine hard bop session.

I picked up the Turrentine and the Brubecks today. All disks are in great shape and one is still factory sealed in the plastic inner sleeve (there is a perferated top that you tear along) so in essence, its a mint, sealed Columbia 6 eye!. The sleeves are all in excellent shape, with no splitting, or ring-wear, just a strange, square-like tear on the back of two of them. Otherwise these albums were well-taken care of. All three for the tidy some of $12. Man, I love Half Price!

• 3 weeks later...

An unusually good day of record shopping today!

Found a first pressing of Clarke/Boland "Golden 8" (BN 4092) at Academy LP's--I have NEVER seen this in my years of crate digging and was prepared, as the guy brought it down from the wall, for it to be a Japanese or other reissue--nope! The real thing, stone near-mint. Also scored copies of "Smithville" and "Bone and Bari", albeit white label United Artists pressings--cheap, though, so I'm not complaining.

Then I detoured up to Academy Records, and what was staring at me in the window but Bill Evans' complete Verve recordings--with almost no rust--for $120! Jumped on that, needless to say!

Pretty Nice Score Today

All of the following for $150 and should grade out VG+/VG+

--Horace Silver Trio vol. 2 5034 Lexington Deep Groove

--Oscar Peterson Plays Pretty 10" DSM cover Mercury

--Hank Jones Piano Mercury 10" DSM cover

--Art Pepper Surf Ride Savoy Deep Groove

--Leroy Vinnegar Walks Stereo/Contemporary

--Sarah Vaughn and Billy Eckstine Irving Berlin Mercury

--Eddie Heywood Emarcy

--Terry Gibbs Swinging' Emarcy

--Roy Haynes Out of the Afternoon Orange and Black label Impulse

--Lou Donaldson Signifyin' Argo Yellow label Promo

--Error Garner Contrasts on Emarcy. Not blue back however

--Stanley Turrentine Always Something There Blue and White label Liberty

--Jo Jones Trio on Everest

Had to drive an hour outside of town and dig through a lot of crap. Had to buy some the extra records here that I wouldn't usually want just to make sure the seller couldn't figure out what I was really drooling over.

• 4 weeks later...

I just found a store near my workplace that sells used vinyl. I bought all of the following for $25 total:

Okeh Jazz (2 discs, sealed; Arnett Cobb, Little Johnny Griffin, Red Rodney, Ahmad Jamal, Wild Bill Davis, Mary Ann McCall)

Kate & Anna McGarrigle

Jeff Lorber - Soft Space (Inner City)

Miles Davis/Tadd Dameron in Paris

Ralph Towner/Gary Burton - Matchbook (sealed)

The Blasters

• 3 weeks later...

Mono copies of the following LPs I've been hunting down for a while:

The Ventures Knock Me Out (with the correct song order; apparently this is more rare than the "incorrect" version)

The Colorful Ventures

The Notorious Byrd Bros.

All for under $30.

Coltrane's 4 disc Live In Japan for just $25. Discs are fine but on the front & back of the booklet there's a faint white worn circle from the quad case raised disc holder. I'd take mild liner note wear on all my used finds if it meant a $15-20 savings each time. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post my all-time best find here - from a record-collecting standpoint, although the music is pretty amazing. A couple of years ago I was at a pretty sad record show in my hometown of Atlanta, looking through a set of boxes with records priced from one to fifteen bucks. I had to look two or three times at one record to convince myself that I was really holding A Fireside Chat With Lucifer by Sun Ra on the Saturn label. It was marked ten bucks, and he knocked a dollar off that price. I haven't checked lately, but at the time it was regularly selling for $250 and more on Ebay.

Some good CD finds today:

3 nice 'Free America' titles - Clifford Thornton 'Panther and the Lash', the Mal Waldron/Steve Lay and the Paul Bley 'Improvisie'

Charles Lloyd's 'Lift Every Voice' 2CD on ECM

The Mingus 'Complete Tijuana Moods' 2CD on RCA Bluebird

and Kenny Barron Trio 'Live at Bradleys Vol 2'

each as-new for £6 each. :)

Edited by sidewinder