Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

just sarting to get back into vinyl after about... oh... 20 years away :)

i found this in what seems to me to be very good condition at a cool vinyl store in my neighborhood for $6:

mzi.zmbapkij.170x170-75.jpg

pretty excited for the music, but also wondering if this is maybe a "great find" by the standards of collectors here on the board. i have no idea. i just figured it was a real good find for me personally/musically.

also wondering if anyone has a quick suggestion for an inexpensive turntable w/ a built-in preamp? maybe there's another thread i should go to for that? cheers...

i found this in what seems to me to be very good condition at a cool vinyl store in my neighborhood for $6:

pretty excited for the music, but also wondering if this is maybe a "great find" by the standards of collectors here on the board. i have no idea. i just figured it was a real good find for me personally/musically.

also wondering if anyone has a quick suggestion for an inexpensive turntable w/ a built-in preamp? maybe there's another thread i should go to for that? cheers...

TT with a built-in preamp, I would go to the Audio forum. I don't know the answer.

Six bones is about right for that Bley. Nice date. Happy hunting!

TT with a built-in preamp, I would go to the Audio forum. I don't know the answer.

Six bones is about right for that Bley. Nice date. Happy hunting!

thanks clifford. looks like i'm gonna just go for it and buy what a work buddy recommended for my needs: an audio-technica. it's got the built-in preamp, but t also has a usb out so i wll be able to burn vinyl onto discs in my stand alone tascam cd burner for back-up or if wanna give something to my friends. and it's not too expensive. we'll see...

Edited by thedwork

• 3 weeks later...

All of the below for a $1 each and in MINT condition (even the multiple and boxset) from an estate sale. Not the best stuff, but I like it so...

1937-1941 COMPLETE LIONEL HAMPTON 1970s RCA 6 LP BOXSET

BENNY GOODMAN - CARNEGIE HALL CONCERT (2LP COLUMBIA 6-EYE - probably 2nd pressing)

PEE WEE RUSSELL PLAYS PEE WEE (BELL RECORDS)

CHARLIE BARNET - TOWN HALL JAZZ CONCERT (COLUMBIA 2ND PRESSING/6-EYE)

SINATRA-BASIE (with gatefold cover - never saw that before)

AHMAD JAMAL - TRANQUILITY (ABC)

Again nothing great, but I like it.

TL

All of the below for a $1 each and in MINT condition (even the multiple and boxset) from an estate sale. Not the best stuff, but I like it so...

1937-1941 COMPLETE LIONEL HAMPTON 1970s RCA 6 LP BOXSET

BENNY GOODMAN - CARNEGIE HALL CONCERT (2LP COLUMBIA 6-EYE - probably 2nd pressing)

PEE WEE RUSSELL PLAYS PEE WEE (BELL RECORDS)

CHARLIE BARNET - TOWN HALL JAZZ CONCERT (COLUMBIA 2ND PRESSING/6-EYE)

SINATRA-BASIE (with gatefold cover - never saw that before)

AHMAD JAMAL - TRANQUILITY (ABC)

Again nothing great, but I like it.

TL

I disagree that this is "nothing great." The Hampton set is primo - the best tracks rank with the best jazz of the period. And I think the Pee Wee is really good later Russell.

Edited by jeffcrom

I didn't mean nothing great in terms of the music, but it seems every estate sale has the dealers pushing you out of the way, looking for the big money BLUE NOTES & PRESTIGE, etc. But in terms of music, what I picked up today comprises most of my collection, so I'm quite happy - especially never having seen much Lionel Hampton or PeeWee Russell in most people's collections.

I'm listening to record 2 of the Lionel Hampton box as I type and it's just totally blowing me away. I have a few of the RCA black&white two-fer CDs that came out a few years ago but I don't recall getting as excited when listening to those...

Truly a great find for me today

Found that Ibrahim/Ward duo album, Live at (somewhere) Vol. 1 (Ekapa 004) - there was never a Vol. 2 as is announced on the back, or was there? Great album, to be sure!

Also found some cheap and clean ECM Vinyl (Metheny's "New Chautauqua", Bengt Berger's "Bitter Funeral", Gary Burton's "Dreams So Real", and Kenny Wheeler's "around 6")

Ach, still looking for a vinyl of the Bengt Berger.

Found that Ibrahim/Ward duo album, Live at (somewhere) Vol. 1 (Ekapa 004) - there was never a Vol. 2 as is announced on the back, or was there? Great album, to be sure!

Not to my knowledge; it is excellent.

I paid about 4€ for the Berger :party:

Went back today after consulting someone to get Lyle Mays self-titled album (Geffen) and also got some new ones that weren't there last time: Pat Metheny Group "American Garage" (ECM), Hugh Lawson "Colour" (Soul Note), and what looks like a very nice one, James Newton's "Paseo del Mar" (India Navigation).

In addition to that, I got a 180g vinyl of Ornette's "Skies of America" from amazon, delivered in a box large enough to hold a cabbage head or some such... as I was expecting a CD, I was quite astonished by the huge box! (I didn't check the details on the amazon site closely enough... this is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Skies-America-Ornette-Coleman/dp/B0017R5SMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1268522279&sr=1-1 - might be out of stock now w/delivery given as 1-4 weeks... it says limited edition on a sticker on the cover)

If you go back and find the James Newton "Flute Music" LP, you can send it to the following address...

If they have two copies... I think I should start a vinyl wantlist finally... I won't start hunting, but standing there and being in doubt whether or not to buy is an! But I'll just buy any other Newton I'll see...

Happy that I found the following this weekend:

Waterloo Records in Austin:

ROY & DIZ (Verve 2-LP reissue, $12)

Weather Report LIVE IN TOKYO (Sony Japan, $15)

Antone's, also in Austin:

Tony Bennett with the Ralph Sharon Trio WHEN LIGHTS ARE LOW (3 bucks)

Bastids

Roy Eldridge DALE'S WAIL (Verve 2-LP reissue, $10 including shipping)

Been kicking myself for the last five years for not getting DALE'S WAIL when I saw it for $7 at a Half-Price Books, back before I had a record player, and refusing to pay $25 to Forever Young. THIS is why I never buy vinyl from them! Been searching for WHEN LIGHTS ARE LOW, and was surprised at how difficult this was to find. I only found out about the Roy & Diz LP recently, and my interest was especially piqued because of the two tracks on side 4 (which, IIRC, aren't available on CD or anywhere else for that matter). The Weather Report was just a VERY nice surprise that I wasn't about to pass up!!!

I only found out about the Roy & Diz LP recently, and my interest was especially piqued because of the two tracks on side 4 (which, IIRC, aren't available on CD or anywhere else for that matter). The Weather Report was just a VERY nice surprise that I wasn't about to pass up!!!

Aren't they on the Roy Eldridge Mosaic?

So is "Dale's wail".

MG

• 3 weeks later...

A double dose of Tyrone Washington today at ridiculously low prices:

1. "Natural Essence" (Blue Note) -- mono, cover beat up a bit with postage-stamp "Audition MONO LP Not for Sale: sticker on the front, and "DJ" in big letters scrawled on the black. LP itself looks beat up with scratches on one side but it actually sounds great. Price: $4.72

2. "Roots" (Perception)-- in beautiful condition. Price: $9.43