All near mint--$25 total :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got this one:

114189756.jpg

And am giving it a first spin as I type... very cool!

Thought with Dyani and Dorge it had to be cool!

Paid about 14€ for it, which seems quite a nice price, it's in very good shape, no visible scratches, no tears in the cover, just some wear, but it looks like it was part of a collection that was taken care of very well, just as all the ECM vinyl I bought in the past weeks!

Went to a local record store today (one of the few real brick and mortar shops left in town) for a huuuge secondhand clearance sale. Everything went at 1 euro apiece - LPs, CDs, 10-inchers, EPs, singles.

Had to sift through an awful lot of pop/disco/MOR/easy listening/light classics/kids records dross (hit rate less than 1 per 100, I guess) but it was well worth it.

These are just the period/early originals (not counting the 70s/80s reissues):

23.131.jpg

23.133.jpg

23.134.jpg

23.135.jpg

23.136.jpg

23.137.jpg

The usual cover wear on many of then but how can you go wrong at 1 euro apiece? At that kind of money you can take chances and buy items even for their covers only. Of course I already had some of the music but if you can replace a nondescript later reissue with a nicer early pressing then this is the time. ;)

Vinyl mostly looks like they came from careful collectors' homes but some look like they've seen a fair bit of party use (including the Lil Abner, of all platters! :D )

Wish that days like that came along a bit more often ... :lol:

Edited by Big Beat Steve

That sounds like a great deal of fun, and it is a very impressive haul.

We had a time like that a few summers ago in Kansas City, when the massive collection of the Music Exchange was sold at very low prices, which went lower and lower as time progressed. Your account brings back memories of pawing through countless easy listening and soundtrack albums in search of a gem. There were certainly gems to be had. I agree with you that I wish that days like this came along more often!

You know one man's meat is another man's poison anyway and no doubt others were happy to snap up a lot of that easy listening/MOR stuff (I saw some drooling about those 60s easy listening orchestras, in fact). And I did pick up a few non-jazz "oddball" pop items too (like I said, how can you go wrong at that price? The 2-hour dig was well worth it. No time, though, to go back tomorrow for another round.

But not doubt if they sold off a "collection" at you Music Exchange that must have been even more of a treasure chest.

You know one man's meat is another man's poison anyway and no doubt others were happy to snap up a lot of that easy listening/MOR stuff (I saw some drooling about those 60s easy listening orchestras, in fact). And I did pick up a few non-jazz "oddball" pop items too (like I said, how can you go wrong at that price? The 2-hour dig was well worth it. No time, though, to go back tomorrow for another round.

But not doubt if they sold off a "collection" at you Music Exchange that must have been even more of a treasure chest.

It was a treasure chest in which the "gold coins" were buried in massive piles of garbage. In other words, simply irresistible.

Edited by Hot Ptah

I bought the Lieb/Beirach and Tolliver Selects from amazon.fr for quite nice prices - also somewhat cheaper than the rest of the sets. No idea why this happens, but I said to myself: carpe diem! - he he... still, my remark was tongue-in-cheek of course, as we're in the vinyl corner here :)

• 3 weeks later...

Went to a local record store today (one of the few real brick and mortar shops left in town) for a huuuge secondhand clearance sale. Everything went at 1 euro apiece - LPs, CDs, 10-inchers, EPs, singles.

Had to sift through an awful lot of pop/disco/MOR/easy listening/light classics/kids records dross (hit rate less than 1 per 100, I guess) but it was well worth it.

These are just the period/early originals (not counting the 70s/80s reissues):

23.131.jpg

23.133.jpg

23.134.jpg

23.135.jpg

23.136.jpg

23.137.jpg

The usual cover wear on many of then but how can you go wrong at 1 euro apiece? At that kind of money you can take chances and buy items even for their covers only. Of course I already had some of the music but if you can replace a nondescript later reissue with a nicer early pressing then this is the time. ;)

Vinyl mostly looks like they came from careful collectors' homes but some look like they've seen a fair bit of party use (including the Lil Abner, of all platters! :D )

Wish that days like that came along a bit more often ... :lol:

I love it when you guys post images, more please.

I found a brand new boxed Shure V15VxMR. I am aware that replacement styliii are hard to find. So my question is, should I hang onto it for the day (2-10 years out) when I can have the analog situation of my modest dreams (i.e. floor not like a trampoline), or is this a wasting asset that I should unload? thanks

bought today:

02.jpg01.jpg

with performances by Jaki Byard, Dave Samuels, Bill Frisell, Steve Lacy (all solo), the Carla Bley Band doing "8 1/2", a suite by Muhal Richard Abrams, Sharon Freeman etc, a David Amram quintet track, as well as a William Fischer-conducted medley feat. Wynton & Branford Marsalis, George Adams a.o.

R-150-1257432-1234124699.jpeg

star_highs_2.jpg

EJN72979.jpg

the later cost some, the others were all fairly cheap!

how trashed?

Probably very. I've found that the trashed factor for Horace's Blue Notes (at least amongst many of the ones that made it across the pond) is very high. All those mods & rockers boogie-ing along to them on knitting-needle stylus radiograms !

'Blowing The Blues Away' mono deep groove is usually particularly bad. Nuclear holocaust on most of those..

Edited by sidewinder

How many people would look at a pile of trashed LPs starting with Bert Kaempfert, in an alley? How many would keep looking after the fifth Kaempfert LP? Or the twenty-seventh?

What's that football chant?

"One Aric Effron,

There's only one Aric Effron"

Sung to the tune of "Guantanamera".

MG

How many people would look at a pile of trashed LPs starting with Bert Kaempfert, in an alley? How many would keep looking after the fifth Kaempfert LP? Or the twenty-seventh?

What's that football chant?

"One Aric Effron,

There's only one Aric Effron"

Sung to the tune of "Guantanamera".

MG

:lol: