Great Finds

desertblues

Was at a somewhat local CD/record store last weekend and picked up the following:

MERCURY VSOP 4CD boxset - $8.99 (no OBI strip, not sure if there was one - plus there's no back tray insert - again not sure if there ever was one)

SUN RA - Lanquidity - $5.99

Top it off, there was a downtown sidewalk sale, so they took 25% off of the prices above, so the VSOP cost about $6.74 - WOOHOO!!!

You've provided me an opening to describe some recent CD scores I've been yanking out of an antique consignment shop on the outskirts of Athens.

They're in a ramshackle building about a half-mile off the old Atlanta Hwy. How about:

$40 for the Mosaic 3-CD box of 'Complete Candid Recordings of Charles Mingus' (#3201)

$40 for the 10-CD box of 'The Complete Mercury of Roland Kirk' (W. German press)

$10 for 'Complete Helen Merrill on Mercury' (4-CD, Japan)

$10 each for 3-CD sets of Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury (Vols. 1, 2 and 3, Japan)

$7 for Capt. Beefheart 2-CD 'Dust Blows Forward' (still sealed), and

$130 for 38 single-disc CDs, mostly OP jazz. (They're $4 each, $3 when you buy more than 10.)

All of these came from the collection of a Univ. Georgia Art professor, who died within months of retirement.

They've been priced by Gail, who runs the antique shop. There's easily 2,000 more CDs in piles, boxes, and shelves.

I've been casually dropping by about every two weeks and everything stays where I left it, with just a couple sold.

As downtown Athens is full of music hipsters, clerks and jerks -- you'd think the action would be fierce.

Great stuff! Definitely great finds. Too bad the Prof couldn't get a chance to enjoy them.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at a somewhat local CD/record store last weekend and picked up the following:

MERCURY VSOP 4CD boxset - $8.99 (no OBI strip, not sure if there was one - plus there's no back tray insert - again not sure if there ever was one)

SUN RA - Lanquidity - $5.99

Top it off, there was a downtown sidewalk sale, so they took 25% off of the prices above, so the VSOP cost about $6.74 - WOOHOO!!!

You've provided me an opening to describe some recent CD scores I've been yanking out of an antique consignment shop on the outskirts of Athens.

They're in a ramshackle building about a half-mile off the old Atlanta Hwy. How about:

$40 for the Mosaic 3-CD box of 'Complete Candid Recordings of Charles Mingus' (#3201)

$40 for the 10-CD box of 'The Complete Mercury of Roland Kirk' (W. German press)

$10 for 'Complete Helen Merrill on Mercury' (4-CD, Japan)

$10 each for 3-CD sets of Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury (Vols. 1, 2 and 3, Japan)

$7 for Capt. Beefheart 2-CD 'Dust Blows Forward' (still sealed), and

$130 for 38 single-disc CDs, mostly OP jazz. (They're $4 each, $3 when you buy more than 10.)

All of these came from the collection of a Univ. Georgia Art professor, who died within months of retirement.

They've been priced by Gail, who runs the antique shop. There's easily 2,000 more CDs in piles, boxes, and shelves.

I've been casually dropping by about every two weeks and everything stays where I left it, with just a couple sold.

As downtown Athens is full of music hipsters, clerks and jerks -- you'd think the action would be fierce.

Great stuff! Definitely great finds. Too bad the Prof couldn't get a chance to enjoy them.

You're right, he didn't, cause about half of 'em are still sealed. It's like he went on a 'whing-ding' in the last 15 years and bought one of anything recommended in the Penguin Guide. There's more than 500 jazz-related CDs still there, including many female vocalists doing the Great American Songbook repertoire. The collection mirrors the jazz and classical CDs featured in Stereo Review. The approach was of an academician intent on serious listening.

Of all the roadside joints I've hit in 35 years, this immense stash is by far the most intelligent and well-cared for.

And Gail says there's seven more box loads yet to be put out cause she doesn't have the shelf space!

Last week, at a local record store:

$50 for Mosaic George Shearing 5-CD set (no box or booklet, but everything else in tip top condition).

Plus $5 for Disc 2 of the Nat King Cole set. Now, I wish I had the other 17!!

Edited by Bol

Was at a neighborhood Friends of some Park flea market/giant yard sale and came across some book/music wholesaler that had some interesting items for sale at $0.25 each or 5 for $1. Picked up the following even though I hadn't heard of most of the artists/bands:

RUDRESH MAHANTHAPPA - Kinsmen

VASHTI BUNYAN - Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind - Advance CD

PANAMA 3 - Calypso Panameño, Guajira Jazz & Cumbia Típica on the Isthmus 1960-75 Advance CD

JACQUES LOUSSIER - Bach No 2

SWINGLE SINGERS - Jazz Sebastien Bach No 2

PIERRE ALAIN GOUALCH - Exploring the music of Serge Gainsbourg

EASY BEATLES - Various artists, some easy listening, doing Beatles but has Shirley Scott, Clarence Whheeler, etc so some of it really kicks

GARY BURTON - Astor Piazzolla Reunion

RIVAL SCHOOLS - former members of QUICKSAND (one of the best post-punk, hardcore bands IMHO)

plus some others that weren't too memorable

All in all about 11 CDs for $2 - so really about $0.18 each. REALLY REALLY REALLY DIGGIN' THE RUDRESH M CD, the GARY BURTON and a few songs on the VASHTI BUNYAN CD...

Edited by tjluke68

I got a sealed copy of Baby Face Willette's Behind the Eight Ball for $6. I don't know the age of it. It's a grey label with a quarter size deep groove pressed into it. I'm pretty sure it's a fairly newish reissue but still...

At the same store I found a copy of George Russell's Jazz Workshop album but it's a French RCA reissue titled Ezz-thetics, not to be confused with his Riverside album with a similar title. Same price as the other lp but it wasn't sealed.

• 3 weeks later...

The Dallas Salvation Army store LP bin was fertile today!

Usually you get the standard run of Mantovani, etc. Today there was some real unique finds:

Odell Brown and the Organ-izers "Ducky" (Cadet)

Melvin Sparks "Sparkplug" (Prestige)

Luis Azcarraga and his hotel panama conjunto "El Panama Fiesta" (Panama Artists)

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

• 2 weeks later...

Salvation Army finds all .99 ea

Arif Mardin Glass Onion - Atlantic 1969

New Voice in Town Marge Dodson - Columbia 6 eye

Les Brown Gershwin Songbook - Columbia 6 eye

Gordon Jenkins presents Marshall Royal - Everest

Ray Charles Crying Time - ABC/Paramount

Eberhard Weber Fluid Rustle - ECM 1979 w/ Bill Frisell Gary Burton and voices

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

• 1 month later...

In a charity shop today, I came across a pile of Woody Herman vinyl. There must have been about 20 LPs, along with some Quincy Jones LPs (on Mercury/EmArcy), Everybody Knows Johnny Hodges and lots of Harry James.

If anybody's interested I'd be glad to pick them up later this week. I have a feeling there is an enormous stash in the back of the shop - the vinyl racks only hold about 60 LPs, and the staff seem to drip feed the goods in week by week.

In a charity shop today, I came across a pile of Woody Herman vinyl. There must have been about 20 LPs, along with some Quincy Jones LPs (on Mercury/EmArcy), Everybody Knows Johnny Hodges and lots of Harry James.

If anybody's interested I'd be glad to pick them up later this week. I have a feeling there is an enormous stash in the back of the shop - the vinyl racks only hold about 60 LPs, and the staff seem to drip feed the goods in week by week.

So where's this shop, Richard?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess "great" is a matter of opinion, but I located these LPs today at an estate sale. It was run by the son's of the deceased, and I think that is why prices were so low. These all were $1. each.

"The Night Blooming Jazzmen under the dir. of Leonard Feather" / Mainstream MRL 348

feat:

Blue Mitchell

Ernie Watts

Fred Robinson

Chino Valdes

Paul Humphrey

Maz Bennett

Al McKibbon

Kitty Boswell

Reggie Moore "Wishbone" / Mainstream 341

feat:

R. Moore

Hank Haynie

Chip Lyles

Chuck Wayne trio "Tapestry" / Focus FS333

Chuck Wayne - gtr

Ernie Furtado - b

Jimmy Campbell - dr

Les Paul ands Mary Ford "Warm and Wonderful" / Columbia CS8488

Dave Brubeck Quartet "The Riddle" / Columbia CL 1454

feat: Bill Smith clarinet/comps by Bill Smith

Spike Jones New Band / Liberty LST-7349

"Washington Square the new band of Spike Jones" / Liberty LST-7338

West, Bruce, and Laing "Whatever Turns You On" / Columbia (Windfall) KC 32216

feat:

Lesley West

Jack Bruce

Cork Lainge

This LP was recorded in 1973, one year after Mountain had broken up, and one year before they reunited. The inclusion of Jack Bruce (Cream!) instead of Pappalardi is interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Only just took out the booket (CD-sized, or rather to be exact: jewel-case-sized, meaning it was outside cardboard box, next to the jewel case, in the CD edition - at least I assume so).

There's a short essay in there - but Japanese only... was this ever published in in English anywhere?

Spinning the first side of the first LP now :wub:

Only just took out the booket (CD-sized, or rather to be exact: jewel-case-sized, meaning it was outside cardboard box, next to the jewel case, in the CD edition - at least I assume so).

There's a short essay in there - but Japanese only... was this ever published in in English anywhere?

My CD edition (bought in the US 20 years ago) has an an essay by Hiraku Aoki in English, with no Japanese notes at all. Send me a PM with your email address, and I'll see if I can scan it and send you a copy.

My CD edition (bought in the US 20 years ago) has an an essay by Hiraku Aoki in English, with no Japanese notes at all. Send me a PM with your email address, and I'll see if I can scan it and send you a copy.

Done - thanks a lot!

We found this about a year ago in one of the boxes of vinyl albums that my wife had stored at her grandmother's house over ten years ago.

It's a box set for "Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Song Book". It looks like this...

EllaFitzgeraldSingsGershwinSongbook1.jpg

That's the cover of the box, and the cover of individual album vol. 1. All drawings are by Bernard Buffet, and all of them are terribly cool. The rest look like this...

EllaFitzgeraldSingsGershwinSongbook5.jpg

EllaFitzgeraldSingsGershwinSongbook4.jpg

EllaFitzgeraldSingsGershwinSongbook.jpg

EllaFitzgeraldSingsGershwinSongbook3.jpg

The 40pg booklet wasn't in the box, but we have some places to look for it when we're so inclined. It's been over a year since we found it, and I still think it's pretty neat. I want to frame it more than I want to play it.

I thought this was a pretty good deal. Munch Berlioz L'Enfance du Christ on 2 LPs for under $10 (eBay). I was the only bidder. Seller claims it is still in shrink wrap.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of vocal classical music, but I have been gathering up a fair bit of Munch because of his heavy representation in the Living Stereo box set. Anyway, I just loved the cover, which looked like a page out of an illuminated manuscript 444695259_tp.jpg

(don't know how long the image will be kept up).

Edited by ejp626