Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

A routine stop at Half Price tonight yielded some astonshing finds:

Charles Mingus-Jazz Portraits-United Artists. Strong seams and tight corners with no ring wear. Vinyl is VG+ with a lots of shine. Has the original inner sleeve and even has a "Jazz Newsletter" included...for $5.98!!!

Modern Jazz Quartet/Milt Jackson Quintet-Prestige 7059. Nice heavy laminated cardboard sleeve with no seam splits, tight corners bright colors and very little ring wear. Vinyl is acceptable but when I looked closer at the labels, I couldn't believe my eyes when it had the West 50th street address, a deep groove and RVG in the dead wax! Vinyl is real heavy too and the back of the jacket has the West 50th street address as well. The only real blemish is that someone wrote "MJQ" with a magic marker on the back corner of the jacket but at least they wrote it neatly. The real shocker is that they priced this one at $3.98!!!!!!!!!!!! With my discount, I walked out the door with both records for under $10!

Edited by Holy Ghost

Nice scores. The Half Price Books outlets here charge $29.98 for routine green label Prestiges.

I've witnessed some pretty specious pricing at the Half Price Books in Kentucky as well (Louisville & Lexington locations). I don't much even bother looking anymore. Bad enough that I've traded my Chicago stores for bluegrass ones, worse when I encounter misguided pricing decisions like that.

Edited by Chicago Expat

What I like about Half-Price books (at least at the store near me) are all the LPs and sets (especially classical stuff) for 50 cents each. Great chance to try things you might have missed or didn't even know about. E.g. a Chalabala disc of Dvorak tone poems ("The Water Sprite," et al.) with the Czech Philharmonic, a great disc of the Bach Motets cond. by Karl Forster, an excellent Eileen Farrell song secital, some old Decca disc, songs and arias, by that bird in a cage Rita Streich, a Russian Orchestral Music collection on DG by Markevitch, Karajan's latter-day "Magic Flute," which much to my surprise I like a lot, etc.

That's insulting. I actually laugh out loud when I see shit like that (usually followed with a barely audible "you gotta be fuckin' kidding me").

Nice scores. The Half Price Books outlets here charge $29.98 for routine green label Prestiges.

I hate it when a Half Price Books store has a buyer who thinks he knows something (they usually don't) and tries to price an LP as a collectible. It defeats the whole point of the store. I recently ran across a green label Eric Dolphy at the Five Spot volume at a small store which was priced at $100. Ha ha. That being said, I've found far more prime LPs priced low, than the reverse. Fortunately, the main HPB in Dallas is not like that at all--they seem to largely price based on condition. I've found so many great classical LPs at HPB for little money that I've had to declare a moratorium.

Edited by kh1958

Its hit or miss. They price a West 50th Street Prestige in reasonable condition for $3.98 and a Prestige OJC for a $100 (this actually happened. I looked at the LP and told them it was an OJC and they knocked $90 off LOL!). Whatever. Their inexperience with jazz lps at the location near me has paid off tremendously.

055233.jpg

Trumpet Time - Hot Lips Page Sextet / Buck Clayton All-Stars (Jazztone J-1024 10" LP)

The Burt Goldblatt cover is in perfect shape! The vinyl looks very clean but sounds a bit less so (and has some hardly visible but audible scratches). For a lousy 15 Swiss francs, I would have bought the cover alone, I guess!

Also found this one, of which I'd never heard before (for 10 Swiss francs - haven't played it yet):

tate_buddy~_unbroken~_101b.jpg

Unbroken - The Buddy Tate Celebrity Club Orchestra (MPS 21 20740-4)

I like to hear jazz from all ages and places. Apart from the USA I have compilations of historic recordings from the UK, France, Belgium, Germany, The Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Italy, Spain, Austria, Switserland and Australia.

One white spot on the map was filled last weekend when I found 7 LP's from a series named 'Anthology of Sovjet Jazz' in a second hand record shop. They were 2,50 Euro per lp.

The series name and the lp title are the only English on the cover of 6 of the lp's. One has the artist names and the song titles also in English.

From a list wich seems to be an "also in this series" I came to the conclusion that there are 8 LP's in this series.

The titles of my 7 lp's are:

The First Steps

I'm Blue With Out You

A Chance Meeting

Fall In Love With Me

Dancing Fingers

Sing For Me

Hitparade

A collegue of mine who comes from Russia agreed to translate the songtitels and artits names for me.

Ubu - Goldmine lists 'Bashin' as released 1962 with numbers V-8474 (mono) and V6-8474 (stereo). Median value about $12 for VG+ in both cases. If it is the heavier vinyl then likely to be this issue I guess.

Yes, that's the number it carries... guess I'll just buy it. It's considerably pricier, but then there won't be any shipping costs and I just love that album, so having it on vinyl will be great!

Thanks for looking it up - seems to be a simple case without seventeen re-pressings and Liberty and Manhattan editions like with Blue Note...

I found a copy of the 10" Jazz at Massey Hall, Volume One. The cover is completely seam split, it's just two pieces of cardboard, but the artwork looked OK. I didn't even look at the record because I expected it to be trashed beyond all recognition. THe salesman priced it at $10 bucks so I bought it for the cover.

The vinyl was covered in muck, but there was only one scratch and it plays beautifully (after a cleaning) with only a few ticks from the scratch. I particularly like that there are no bass overdubs on this pressing.

• 1 month later...

found this 7" 45rpm EP yesterday:

lovcryep.jpg

:excited::excited::excited:

The cover is sooooooooooooooooo cool!

None of the music is new, and I have no idea how rare it is (I paid around 10$ for it)

Info from ayler.co.uk:

Tracks 2, 6 and 10 released as an EP which was attached to a booklet published in Italy by Fratelli Fabbri Editore in 1969. Pictures of the EP sleeve and the booklet are below.

Btw, I did buy "Bashin'" and it sounds magnificient on vinyl!

found this 7" 45rpm EP yesterday:

lovcryep.jpg

:excited::excited::excited:

The cover is sooooooooooooooooo cool!

None of the music is new, and I have no idea how rare it is (I paid around 10$ for it)

Info from ayler.co.uk:

Tracks 2, 6 and 10 released as an EP which was attached to a booklet published in Italy by Fratelli Fabbri Editore in 1969. Pictures of the EP sleeve and the booklet are below.

Nice find indeed!

Was not aware of that EP release until I saw it listed in the Ayler.co site!

Looks like it was included with the 'Il Jazz' magazine. Italian publications did that at the time (they still may do it now...).

Hope Valerie Wilmer got proper credit for her photo in the liner notes!

No, I think there's no credit for Willmer - which is somewhat weird as this looks like a little labour of love, with an album discography on the back. But then there are no production credits either - guess it was a bootleg after all...