Great Finds

desertblues

What about Inner City - legit?

A US label very active in the 70s. Certainly 'legit' - they did quite a few domestic issues of the East Wind material. I've got a couple of Art Farmers on this imprint (and the sonics are suprisingly good..)

Inner City also released Steeplechase titles in the U.S.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today's haul:

Reflexionen (Urs Leimgruber/Don Friedman/Palle Danielsson/Joel Allouche) - Remember to Remember (Enja)

Thad Jones & Mel Lewis - Suite for Pops (A&M)

Buck Clayton - Swingin' and Dancin' (Mode)

Tommy Flanagan - Thelonica (Enja)

Anthony Davis/James Newton/Abdul Wadud - I've Known Rivers (Grammavision)

James Newton - James Newton (Grammavision)

James Newton - Luella (Grammavision)

Picked Up Elvin's 'Puttin' It Together' this afternoon. Fine nick first Liberty pressing at a very nice price.

I bought that when it first came out - still have it. Very 'posh' for an LP - with all of the pull out notes, sound-stage diagram for the instruments etc.

Edited by sidewinder

today's haul:

Reflexionen (Urs Leimgruber/Don Friedman/Palle Danielsson/Joel Allouche) - Remember to Remember (Enja)

Suite for Pops is a winner and never made it to CD, AFAIK. Hope yours is in playable condition - like mine :lol:

today's haul:

I'm a Leimgruber fan, so that would definitely be a "great find" in my book.

Bill, they're all playable, in fact most of them without surface noise and with covers that look like they've been treated very carefully... I guess that's NM+ or some such in vinyl lingo.

Haven't yet listened to the Leimgruber... but at around 6$ it was a steal (as were some of the others). (Reality check: gigantic [largest size] cup of coffee at darn Starbucks would cost quite a bit more than that.)

Got the Basie Vol. 11-20 (1941-1951) box in... for just under 22€ - looks very good, some records virtually unplayed, some with minor fingerprints and a few scratches that look harmless... will spin some of it very soon!

I passed on 2 mint copies of those boxes (the orange one and the blue one) some years ago for £10 each. Regretted it ever since !

Edited by sidewinder

R-3203384-1320338006.jpeg

My Holy Grail Lester Young record (at least of the ones I know about...)...The Young Brothers band, airshots from his brief 1944 return to Basie, every cut supreme in every way and none of it commonly circulated to this day. Found it still sealed on a By-It-Now deal from some guy in Miane (not Alan Lowe) for $17.50...I've been willing to pay more than several time that for it if I could ever find a copy, which I haven't been.

The postman just dropped it off. Thanks, Bill from Maine (who included a pack of Branson On Stage trading cards, for, I guess, good measure.

Today is a GOOD day.

Not vinyl as such, but relates to it. Picked up a nearly new hardcover 1st edition (wonder if there was more than one edition) of Gunther Schuller's The Swing Era for $15 - not a steal, but an ok price.

My local library has a copy, but I've found that there's too much to take in on "borrowed" time, so I bought my own.

It wasn't me although I was sorely tempted. Someone just landed Volumes 1-3 of the Complete Commodore Recordings on Mosaic for $560. 66-LP's in near mint condition. According to the tease, they'd only been played once. That's about $8.50 per record. Not a bad score as an investment in music or simply as an investment.

It wasn't me although I was sorely tempted. Someone just landed Volumes 1-3 of the Complete Commodore Recordings on Mosaic for $560. 66-LP's in near mint condition. According to the tease, they'd only been played once. That's about $8.50 per record. Not a bad score as an investment in music or simply as an investment.

Wow ! :o Was that on ebay?

Wow ! :o Was that on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mosaic-Complete-Commodore-Jazz-Recordings-Vol-1-2-3-EX-/330693810399?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4cfee318df#ht_500wt_948

no really great finds, but hey... one might be (finally) the definitive way to play Pres' Savoy sides, and the other five have great covers and all six were cheap:

The Essential Coleman Hawkins (Verve Germany, 2304 537)

Lester Young - Pres / The Complete Savoy Recordings

The Louis Armstrong Story Volume 1 - Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five

The Louis Armstrong Story Volume 2 - Louis Armstrong and His Hot Seven

The Louis Armstrong Story Volume 3 - Louis Armstrong and Earl Hines

The Louis Armstrong Story Volume 4 - Louis Armstrong Favorites

The Pres contains one of the tracks from the Playboy festival (which I don't need any longer as I've got that Spotlight LP with the mean cover) and some selections from Verve, plus one early side with J.J. and Bennie Green, plus the also early (but Verve) "Picasso"... I got it for it's lovely foldout cover with a great picture of Hawkins on front:

114007594.jpg

The Satchmos... well, no need for them really, but they just look and feel wonderful and the covers are all in very good shape, too! They're not originals, I guess, they have x "LP" 4964 and following numbers printed onto the labels), but they were cheap and look and feel wonderful!

• 4 weeks later...

I happened to be driving in a part of town I usually don't get to most of the time today. While there I saw a garage sale going on so I stopped.

Holy shit I am glad I did! Talk about a goldmine!!

I saw a few promising LPs, so I asked the guy how much. He says $4.00 gets the entire box. Hell yeah!

Here is what I scored.

Arista/Freedom

Art Ensemble of Chicago - The Paris Session

Gato Barbieri / Dollar Brand

Anthony Braxton - Duets 1976

Roswell Rudd - Inside Job

Archie Shepp - There's a Trumpet in My Soul

Archie Shepp - Montreaux II

Black Jazz

The Awakening - Hear, Sense and Feel

Black Saint

Roscoe Mitchell - The Flow of Things

Candid:

Steve Lacy - The Straight Horn of Steve Lacy

Checker

Jimmy Reeves, Jr - Born to Love Me

Cobblestone

Neal Creque - Creque

Crimson

Soul Survivors - When the Whistle Blows, Anything Goes

ECM

Abercrombie/Holland/DeJohnette - Gateway II

Arild Andersen - Shimri

Arild Anderson - Green Shading Into Blue

Jack DeJohnette Directions - Untitled

Jan Garbarak Quartet - Afric Pepperbird

Art Lande/Rubica Patrol - Desert Marauders

Oregon - Oregon Crossing

Barre Phillips - Three Day Moon

Barre Phillips - Journey Violone II

Julian Priester - Polarization

Impulse

Albert Ayler - In Greenwich Village

Alice Coltrane - Huntington Ashram Monastery

John Coltrane - The Africa Brass Sessions II

Sam RIvers - Crystals

Archie Shepp - Live in San Francisco

Archie Shepp - New Grass

Archie Shepp - Attila Blues

Japo

Dollar Brand - African Piano

JCOA

Carla Bley - Elevator Over the Hill

Music Works

Kazuko Shiraishi - Dedicated to the Late John Coltrane

Novus

Air - Montreaux Suisse

Ogun

Irene Schweitzer - p; Rudiger Carl - tenor sax; /Radu Malfatti - trb; /Harry Miller - bass; /Paul Lovens - drums - Ramifications

(2 copies)

Prestige

John Coltrane - Stardust

Sackville

Roscoe Mitchell - Duets with Anthony Braxton

Vee Jay

Eric Dolphy Memorial Album

Warner Brothers

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Kirkatron

John Simon - Journey

There are a few others, but these were the highlights.

I usually wouldn't list finds on here, but this time it merits doing so. Sorry if I seem to be bragging on my luck, but I nearly crapped my pants. I was pinching myself all the way back to the van.

Many were in plastic sleeves and none of them have any visual wear, as if they are unplayed. WTF!!

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

potential GF for one of our peeps here if you bid right: theres actually a 45rpm (ending soon) of the two "stop driving us crazy" tunes by Benny Golson (Lee Morgan, Art Blakey, et al).....it looks legit, offical United Methodist Church of Wash DC issue. im not getting it, although some lucky fool sure is, for a whole lotta dough, sorry i dont have a link right now, ebays not loading right, right now