Great Finds

desertblues

At a small antique store last week I found a couple of great bargains.

A Night In Tunisia - Art Blakey (one side is a 47 West 63rd label and the other is a NY label)

1984 - Yusef Lateef (Impulse) Black and Orange label, stereo pressing

All Of You and Alhambra by Ahmad Jamal on Argo (dark blue stereo labels)

Jazz Contemporary - Kenny Dorham on Time Records stereo pressing

Softly As A Summer Breeze - Jimmy Smith (Blue Note)mono New York pressing

All of them in great shape and only $5 each. He had some other good titles but I already had them so I left them behind.

I'm going to be watching that space for a while.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent find, Jeffcrom! :tup :tup

My recent finds:

An office colleague of a friend of mine will shortly be moving so she decided to do a huge clearout (including of the records her late husband had accumulated).

I was therfore able to pick up the below 10-inchers (all in pristine condition) FOR FREE:

J8XNsuKCDB.JPG

ejNijINwBx.JPG

The downside, however, was that there were a lot more 12in LPs but unfortunately the sleeves of ALL OF THEM were MISSING! :angry:

No idea why that gent had discarded them all but though I did take along quite a few LP just for the music it was a real pity as there were lots of collectible goodies in there, and all of them with almost NM vinyl throughout: Original/early late 50s/early 60s deep groove pressings of The Ray Charles Story Vol. 1 on Atlantic, various Everly/Buddy Holly/Fats Domino/Johnny Horton/Marty Robbins LPs, Meade Lux Lewis "Yancey's Last Ride" on Verve Down Home Series (AFAIK the original cover would have had DS Martin Artwork ... grrrrr), various 50s big bands (Ray Anthony et al.), etc.

O.K., most of them not the really rare stuff but collectible enough (e.g. one original German pressing of a Johnny & The Hurricanes LP which was in the lot recently netted some 160 euros en eBay - with the cover of course, though ...).

Galling, really galling ...

Oh well ... After all they were free for the taking so who am I to complain after all. (It was just such a useless waste, though ...)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I was out running errands this morning, and decided on a whim to put into one of my regular stops, a used book/CD/record store. They had just bought a collection from the 1950s. Some were not in good shape, but I picked out 12 which are dirty, but basically in good condition:

Introducing Jimmy Cleveland (EmArcy)

Lars Gullin - Baritone Sax (Atlantic)

Illinois Jacquet - Swing's the Thing (Verve)

Maynard Ferguson - Jam Session (EmArcy); with Herb Geller, Bob Cooper, Max Roach, etc.

Shorty Rogers - Wherever the Five Winds Blow (RCA Victor)

Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet (Norgran)

Stan Getz - West Coast Jazz (Norgran)

Jack Montrose With Bob Gordon (Atlantic)

The Modernity of Bob Brookmeyer (Clef)

Jim Hall - Jazz Guitar (Pacific Jazz)

The Touch of Tony Scott (RCA Victor)

Anthony Ortega - A Man and His Horns (Herald)

All for $5-6 dollars each.

Nice!

I was out running errands this morning, and decided on a whim to put into one of my regular stops, a used book/CD/record store. They had just bought a collection from the 1950s. Some were not in good shape, but I picked out 12 which are dirty, but basically in good condition:

Introducing Jimmy Cleveland (EmArcy)

Lars Gullin - Baritone Sax (Atlantic)

Illinois Jacquet - Swing's the Thing (Verve)

Maynard Ferguson - Jam Session (EmArcy); with Herb Geller, Bob Cooper, Max Roach, etc.

Shorty Rogers - Wherever the Five Winds Blow (RCA Victor)

Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet (Norgran)

Stan Getz - West Coast Jazz (Norgran)

Jack Montrose With Bob Gordon (Atlantic)

The Modernity of Bob Brookmeyer (Clef)

Jim Hall - Jazz Guitar (Pacific Jazz)

The Touch of Tony Scott (RCA Victor)

Anthony Ortega - A Man and His Horns (Herald)

All for $5-6 dollars each.

Nice!

And they cleaned up nicely - most of them sound great.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's a "great find" or not, but I was at a usually high-priced record store in Austin yesterday and picked up a VG++ Liberty of John Patton's That Certain Feeling for $5. No locked groove on A3, clean sound and what seems like a good deal. Strong session IMO.

Edited by clifford_thornton

I don't know if it's a "great find" or not, but I was at a usually high-priced record store in Austin yesterday and picked up a VG++ Liberty of John Patton's That Certain Feeling for $5. No locked groove on A3, clean sound and what seems like a good deal. Strong session IMO.

I think that qualifies!

I think that qualifies!

Ditto. I want one of those !

I was wondering about that 'no locked groove on A3 thing', thinking it was something to do with RVG/ears/runouts - and then I remembered that thread.

Edited by sidewinder

I think that qualifies!

Ditto. I want one of those !

I was wondering about that 'no locked groove on A3 thing', thinking it was something to do with RVG/ears/runouts - and then I remembered that thread.

There is a little bump that creates about three "pops" but that's it. Otherwise dandy! I was amazed it was so cheap, especially since even green-label Prestiges are around $20 at this particular store.

Love Bug/Reuben Wilson Liberty issue vangelder stamped, RE-1 matrix scribed in as well, interestingly enough. $2 bin. the bro who had it writes his name and 11-'69 on the lp and backcover. this was recorded in march 69. so just let that show u the turnaround. i guess this was that really weird time when vangelder was still cutting at his RVG studio and then sending them (!?) to liberty. i wish i knew more about it. have you guys seen that one, seriously like 50 pg interview with rvg, that was done a few years ago. he wont reveal his "secrets".

• 2 weeks later...

Technically this shouldn't be under vinyl frontier but what the hell.

I was in Sherman Texas yesterday for a gig. I drove up early so I could hit some pawn shops. One never knows what you'll find.

Not much in the way of pro horns or guitars, but I did see that they had several reel to reel tapes (boxed) and most were commercial releases.

I found a Bennie Green (tbn) quintet with Sonny Clark, Jimmy Forrest, George Tucker, ALfred Deares (drums) and Joseph Gorgas (bongos).. Released on Stereo Time.

Also picked up an interesting R to R tape entitled Quiet Jazz. Various artists. Released by Realistic (radio shack)

"47 hits, not loud, not soft, just great"

"Combine some of America's top jazz musicians-----add a top notch musical repertoire, and the result is this really great 3 hour tape. Artists featured here are: Pete Jolly, Bob Freeman, Warren Baker, The Art Pepper Quartet, Oscar Moore, Charlie Barnett and Leroy Vinnegar"

I have a pair of R to R players, and this will give me the impetus to get at least one of the serviced. I can't wait to go old school and sit listening to a 3 hour tape of "quiet jazz"!

Both tapes look to be in pretty good shape if anyone is wondering. At $2.50 each, I had to take the chance. The boxes alone were worth the price of admission.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for one last Jimmy McCracklin Imperial LP, I Just Gotta Know. Missed out on a copy from Da Bastards when I didn't pull the trigger fast enough, then I lost out on a very nice copy which I only succeeded in bidding up over $50. So last week I snagged it for $1.25. Its only a "G" cover but that doesn't matter much to me, if the vinyl is VG+ as advertised, that's a "great find".

I've been looking for one last Jimmy McCracklin Imperial LP, I Just Gotta Know. Missed out on a copy from Da Bastards when I didn't pull the trigger fast enough, then I lost out on a very nice copy which I only succeeded in bidding up over $50. So last week I snagged it for $1.25. Its only a "G" cover but that doesn't matter much to me, if the vinyl is VG+ as advertised, that's a "great find".

Good one, Dan.

MG

i dont know if this qualifies, but A BLOWIN SESSION on ebay, $110. i think thats the lowest ive ever seen it go for.

on the opposite side of things, i found COLTRANE/QUINCHETTE/WESS WHEELIN & DEALIN PRESTIGE 7131 for $0.99.

oh i also got swingin gig////TAMPA TP-2, buddy collette, curtis counce, i think i already have it but whatevr

Edited by chewy

Not super cheap but a great value. I found a copy of Roy Haynes' Cymbalism on New Jazz. It's a deep groove mono w/purple label for $8. It had a copy of small scratches on them and they made some audible ticks while listening on the turntable at the store w/headphones. I cleaned it up when I got home which doesn't fix a scratch of course but the record ended up sounding much better than I imagined and the ticks are pretty short lived and the rest of the lp sounds pretty great. I'm glad I gave it a chance. If I ever see a better copy that isn't expensive I can trade up but untilt then this one will definitely do.