Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did not know that, thanks!

So, I guess the ultra-rare first few copies that had the alternate mix of "Tomorrow Never Knows" would have been tube cut, right?

yes. the one i got is the next stamper right after the alt. mix version. but really as ive never heard the record in this good quality sound before- its kinda like the whole album is one big alternate mix, lol!

the bass sound on 'Smoke Stack' is incredible. and overall, the SQ is actually -much- better than i expected for a $100 copy of this. the horn solos, bass, and cymbals, are comming through crystal clear even on this VG- copy. lots of presence, the cds sound incredibly thin by comparison.

i am happy i got this lp in particular, it is not a normal record. its definetly one of the most unique blue note sessions ever done. its more influenced by like the way Prestige, were doing jazz records, and with that 4-horn allstar lineup.........puts it in a catagory of its own, its defintely the Blue Note Tenor Conclave, this record. one of a kind on the entire label!

Edited by chewy

And you paid four dollars for it? Dude, you must be living very right or very wrong. :g

That's always een my favorite (and favorite sounding) Beatles record. Congrats on the find!

Yes, congratulations on the lp and the price. It's always been my favorite Beatle album too so I've bought more than one copy. I still haven't found or even heard that pressing with the alt. version of TNK on it. I have a U.S. early Capitol mono, an early stereo U.K., a U.S. Apple version and another in the U.K. Blue Box. That's leaving out the three cd versions I have. Total madness on my part and yet I'd buy that alt. version in a heart beat if I saw it. :crazy:

today's finds:

Hamiet Bluiett - Birthright (India Navigation)

Baikida Carroll - Shadows and Reflections (Soul Note)

Duke Ellington - Nutcracker Suite / Peer Gynt Suites (CBS UK)

Chico Freeman - The Outside Within (India Navigation)

Abdullah Ibrahim - South African Sunshine (Pläne)

Magog (JAPO)

Werner Pirchner/Harry Pepl/Todd Candedy/Adelhard Roidinger - Austrio Drei (EGO)

From recent record fair

Harold Vick - Caribbean Suite- (RCA)- features Booby Hutcherson, Blue Mitchell, value at £3 I thought.

also got three Tyner Milestones, a Bley solo on Owl and for the same price. Good value for these parts

harold-vick-the-caribbean-suite-rca-3677-front.jpg

Edited by Clunky

- checkout out BLOWIN IN, right now-- i can definetly hear how an original 50s cut would sound WAY better. i can totally tell. on some of those 60s stereo issues non rvg cut, they sound -AMAZING-. not this 70s u/a mono. but im stil happy i upgraded from my 90s edition

---ever wonder why bluenote lps never had the recording dates on the back. was that not considered important back then.

Edited by chewy

If you compare the recording dates with the release dates (which you can get if your local library has old copies of the Schwann catalogue), you'll find that the normal gap between recording and release was a bit in excess of a year. I guess it had to do with that gap and maybe Alfred didn't want people to think they were buying old music. So Blue Note was ALWAYS issuing music from the vaults. Don't know whether this is right.

Second thoughts - PJ didn't either. Nor did Prestige for a long period. Nor did Atlantic. None of the RCAVictor or Decca or Columbia LPs I've seen (but I never bought much on any major label) have dates on them. The only labels I can think of where dates fairly consistently appeared are Argo/Cadet, Contemporary and Riverside/Jazzland.

MG

oh yea, ive seen it an argos...hey really good point re- maybe people not wanting to by 'old' music. that makes a lot of sense. i think a few might have turnarounds less than a year. i have a copy of love bug with a date hand written on it, and it is like 6th months from the rec. date.,** but yea...

** have to double check exactly but i know it was less than 1 yr

Edited by chewy

• 2 weeks later...

I've enjoyed a nice run of interesting finds recently:

Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue on a clean original (stereo Blue Note, ear) pressing-$15.

Jackie McLean: One Step beyond on a clean original (stereo Blue Note, ear) $20.

Andrew Hill: Andrew! a clean Liberty pressing: $18

Willie Bobo: Spanish Grease on a clean promo pressing $10.

Machito: Kenya on a stone mint mono Roulette pressing $20.

Jimmy Smith: The Sermon on a clean (stereo Blue Note) second press with the ear in the dead wax $15

Miles Davis: Workin' a first press with clean vinyl. The best part: someone wrote 'Miles: "The Baddest Dude"' on the cover. $1

Jackie McLean: The complete 1964-66 Blue Note Sessions (Mosaic CD) $20

Coleman Hawkins: The Hawk Flies High on a clean mono London (UK) pressing $11.

Opus De Funk: on a clean London (UK) pressing, trashed cover $4.

Wes Montgomery: Full House, one scratch on the 'a' side that plays with some light ticks, original mono Riverside $10.

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue Two track reel to reel tape. Only two of the songs are present, the first song is almost completely gone, but what remains sounds pretty stunning $20.

Edited by smashingthirds

Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue on a clean original (stereo Blue Note, ear) pressing-$15.

Jimmy Smith: The Sermon on a clean (stereo Blue Note) second press with the ear in the dead wax $15

Miles Davis: Workin' a first press with clean vinyl. The best part: someone wrote 'Miles: "The Baddest Dude"' on the cover. $1

Wes Montgomery: Full House, one scratch on the 'a' side that plays with some light ticks, original mono Riverside $10.

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue Two track reel to reel tape. Only two of the songs are present, the first song is almost completely gone, but what remains sounds pretty stunning $20.

Not bad, to say the least ! :blink:

Edited by sidewinder

Not bad, to say the least ! :blink:

Yes. That's a nice run :g

Pity about the light ticks on Full House, I'll take it off your hands for a fiver :)

Anyone that might appreciate a Liberty Stereo Larry Young Into Something should look here.

My link

It's $40US. It's been sitting there unsold for over a year I think.

I just scored an original NM Lawrence Of Newark here for $60.

About two years ago I got a NM Liberty Idle Moments for$20.

They price very reasonably and their grading is accurate.

tube cut

Que significa "tube cut"?

Pressed on the London underground between Maida Vale and Kilburn Park :g

MG

:g Isn't Kilburn associated with Ian Dury in some way. Very Dubious :D

Re-tube cuts. Basically all Beatles original UK vinyl up to Abbey Road was cut to vinyl using tube/valve equipment. Giving it that spacious warm sound. Same as we usually expect from Jazz recordings of the same era. With US Beatles records, tape copies were sent to America and re-mastered by Dave Dexter to beef up the sound for radio. They also incorporated the UK ep's into the LP's to create more product. That's why the UK originals sound so good and are the ones to listen to. In the UK, they continued to use the tube cut lacquers on Beatles re-issues up to the early Seventies. Apparently, although I have not heard it, the only US Beatle album that is comparable sound quality wise, is the Mono Magical Mystery Tour LP. Unless you find a charity store copy.or something like it, you probably won't get that one under $150 these days.

In Australia, being part of the good old Commonwealth, we got sent the same lacquers, or metal masters, to cut our Beatles vinyl (except for a few Lp's). So our Beatles vinyl sounds mostly just as good, and sometimes better, than the Uk counterparts

Having said that, I've got a UK Stereo Revolver first press I scored for about $30 off ebay a few years ago that sounds exquisite.

I learnt all I know from the Hoffman Forums :D

Edited by freelancer

Anyone that might appreciate a Liberty Stereo Larry Young Into Something should look here.

My link

Yeah, I've been buying from Tom at Jazz Record Revival for many years.

My link

Yeah, I've been buying from Tom at Jazz Record Revival for many years.

I just got an email from someone called Adrien telling me Lawrence Of Newmark was already in the mail. That's fast service.

I just did a quick google and found out Tom Burns runs the business and they also have a record label called Capri.

Anyway, I hope the $10 re-issue is not a better sounding vinyl than this original :D

But I've rarely heard a digital sourced vinyl trump an original pressing. And it will be pretty special to have a first pressing of this. I doubt there are many copies of the original that made their way to Australia back in the day.

Anyone know much about the history of Perception as a label? Sounds short lived.

Anyone know much about the history of Perception as a label? Sounds short lived.

Here's the Wiki entry for the label. Only gives an album list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perception_Records

There was a subsidiary label as well, Today Records. Here's a partial discography with a bit about the company.

http://www.discogs.com/label/Today%20Records

Looks like the firm lasted five or six years.

MG

That's an interesting mix of soul and jazz on those labels. I only knew of it through the Larry Young album. But knowing the Tyrone Washington love on this board :) l'm sure many will be familiar with it. RegrettabIy, I don't know enough about the Soul music of the time to be too familiar with a lot of the artists . But it was interesting to see Lucky Peterson being recorded as a 5 year old? I know of the great tradition in Black music to record and celebrate the talents of the very young ie., little Georgie Benson, Stevie Wonder etc. but 5yo seems to be pushing it :g

That's an interesting mix of soul and jazz on those labels. I only knew of it through the Larry Young album. But knowing the Tyrone Washington love on this board :) l'm sure many will be familiar with it. RegrettabIy, I don't know enough about the Soul music of the time to be too familiar with a lot of the artists . But it was interesting to see Lucky Peterson being recorded as a 5 year old? I know of the great tradition in Black music to record and celebrate the talents of the very young ie., little Georgie Benson, Stevie Wonder etc. but 5yo seems to be pushing it :g

Child prodigy status is sometimes difficult to overcome upon reaching maturity. Not so for Lucky Peterson -- he's far bigger (in more ways than one) on the contemporary blues circuit than he was at the precocious age of six, when he scored a national R&B hit with the Willie Dixon-produced "1-2-3-4."

From All Music Guide.

MG