Great Finds

desertblues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defintion of fetishism

On 1/24/2016 at 10:07 AM, Scott Dolan said:

Only one who fetishizes such things would.  And that was my point. You said the term wasn't applicable, but it most certainly is. 

Nope. This is not what the term fetishism means.

This is fetishism - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetishism

I recognize that you're trying to sew a psychopathological lining into the collectors purse, and I see where you're going with this, but I think the terminology you're using is off the mark.

Edited by Dmitry

Assuming it was not a Buy It Now price at $7,000 this makes me wonder how such a bidding race came all about anyway. There must have been at least TWO who pushed each other into that sky-high price region. What was the other one (or were there several?) thinking? Or was this a bogus bidder trying to push the other one up in an attempt at inflating the final price for the seller? Amazing no one seemed to feel like wanting to bid any amount between 2,500 and 7,000 the second time around and STILL end up with a price lower than the 7,000 that he missed out the auction the first time. (Yes I know such things happen but it is not the usual outcome)

19 hours ago, Dmitry said:

The defintion of fetishism

Nope. This is not what the term fetishism means.

This is fetishism - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetishism

I recognize that you're trying to sew a psychopathological lining into the collectors purse, and I see where you're going with this, but I think the terminology you're using is off the mark.

Brother, if you truly don't see this:

"Essentially, fetishism is the emic attribution of inherent value or powers to an object."

...as describing EXACTLY what I'm saying then you need to start revisiting your dictionary. 

19 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Edited by Scott Dolan

On 1/26/2016 at 7:36 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

Assuming it was not a Buy It Now price at $7,000 this makes me wonder how such a bidding race came all about anyway. There must have been at least TWO who pushed each other into that sky-high price region. What was the other one (or were there several?) thinking? Or was this a bogus bidder trying to push the other one up in an attempt at inflating the final price for the seller? Amazing no one seemed to feel like wanting to bid any amount between 2,500 and 7,000 the second time around and STILL end up with a price lower than the 7,000 that he missed out the auction the first time. (Yes I know such things happen but it is not the usual outcome)

Yes, I thought that too. I see that in the original auction, FOUR different people bid over $5000. If the winner didn't pay, why not use "second-chance" offer to the next three bidders?

Edited by rdavenport

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/16/2017 at 1:24 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

I suppose you are NOT talking about The Whistler? :D

It was a tough choice, but I picked the guitar player.^_^

Got this small lot a few weeks ago. Yep, NY USA Stereo Three Sounds in VG+, $5. Belonged to a cat named Marc, as is stated on the cover.

Turrentine was $3. 

There are still bargains out there.IMG_0559.jpg

Edited by Dmitry

9 hours ago, Dmitry said:

It was a tough choice, but I picked the guitar player.^_^

Got this small lot a few weeks ago. Yep, NY USA Stereo Three Sounds in VG+, $5. Belonged to a cat named Marc, as is stated on the cover.

Turrentine was $3. 

There are still bargains out there.IMG_0559.jpg

And IMHO Moods is the best of all of The Sounds BNs. :tup

• 3 months later...

Plano Half Price was waiting for me today!

10" LP! 50 cents!

s-l225.jpg

And then...

51QpiAS1A9L._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2C

!C!0kd+!B2k~$(KGrHqUOKpIEy+jC5P88BNEpse3

LoversGarland.jpg

This one, cut-corner, sealed, NOT warped!

william-grant-still-symphony.jpg

fossschulle_bernstein_101b.jpg

This one autographed on the inside by Ernie & Emilio both, as well as the mysterious inscription To Lynn, who madefive days a sweet lifetime.Too short, but memorable and fulfilling. Hopefully, re-incarnation exists! Love, Barry Caceres

s-l225.jpg

Here's a ginormous $4.99 WTF?!?!?!?!?!

mahaliajackson393340.jpg

Alex's dad. A single LP in a 2-LP sleeve. The second sleeve contains promotional lietrature.

1207.jpg

Plus, a nice pile of $1 CRG (Children's Record Guild) 78s with really, really cosmiccrazy artwork, a few of which I had as a kid, but fuck, is it anywaonder we all dropped acid when the time came?

norman-rose-and-the-eugene-lowell-singer

Train To The Ranch not as good as Train To The Zoo, but good luck finding ANY fucking thing that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKG2z3rWfQ0

On 14.5.2017 at 9:55 PM, JSngry said:

Plano Half Price was waiting for me today!

10" LP! 50 cents!

s-l225.jpg

Amazing ... When I browse the bins (that always are in total disorder) at the local record clearout sales twice a year I always am on the alert for stacks of 50s 10" LPs and pull them out first. I've come up with quite a few goodies (mostly classic jazz and 30s swing, very, very little modern jazz) form the 10" stacks but classical music 10" LPs, including "light classics", of course, usually are quite plentiful, and some would be worth the 1 EUR (that often is the going rate) just for the cover artwork but as I am not realy into classical music you just have to draw a limit somewhere so I skip them. Had no idea these are considered finds to some by now too ... ;)

BTW, the Caceres brothers LP is nice indeed. My copy came from one of those clearout sales too.

I saw the cover, Carl Nielsen, and a Danish orchestra, and was instantly hell yeah, this diem is already carped!!

And it is a really beautiful performance too, that orchestra was in a zone for these pieces, an zone that more than easily cut through the superficial surface noise. For just 50 cents, yeah, that's a deal I make EVERY time!

But oh by the way, I was delighted to find that the remaining music from this series (or whatever) was collated onto a CD in 2010, and I course, that diem was also carped!

https://www.amazon.com/Nielsen-Symphonies-Overture-Concerto-Maskarade/dp/B003LDKJMW

Gotta say, though, that it's a considerable downgrade in terms of cover art...

71M5uOQQj4L._SL1379_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't know if any of these qualify as "great finds", but I went in to the flagship Half Price today determined only to buy things that would either delight or disappoint, nothing of the "I KNOW I'll like this!" type. No "more of the same", Ia already have more than enough of that.

milt-jackson-quintet-just-the-way-it-had

A promo copy, just like this one, only not as clean. A live quintet date with Teddy Edwards, this seems like it should be a "sure thing", but it's been around for 40+ years now and it's never rated as a "classic". Hell, it's never really talked about much at all. And even though it's got Teddy Edwards,  it's got Monty Alexander on it, so not sure, delighted or disappointed, who knows?

81TI86L0mIL._SX342_.jpg

Louisville, Hovhaness, what's not to try?

il_570xN.474692339_psbf.jpg

If not delighted, then disappointed. Can't see indifference as an option.

s-l500.jpg

Looked interesting.

s-l1000.jpg

NO idea whatsoever. Cool Op-Art cover no matter what.

117636.jpg

Arrangers listed as Gil Askey, Bobby Tucker, and Melba Liston. Wait, does that say Melba Liston? Yes, it does. I have a blogged version of a Kim Weston album where Melba Liston contributed, and it didn't suck. so....

$_57.JPG

Love the piece, don't know the band at all, but the Supraphon label always is the tie-breaker. We'll see.

s-l1600.jpg

Nearly flipped over it, but figures ehh, let's see, and Richard Davis is on every cut. There's also a photo of Vic Dickenson on the inside where he's doing a More Than Ready For Mainstream thing, wearing on of his headphones as an eye patch. Plus, Toots Mondello and Johnny Mince are in the section on the cuts where there is one. I figured I gotta hear this at least once, even if the arranger is Glen Osser.

And finally, get ready to grab a towel, Aric...

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

Kinda iffy on this one until I pulled it out to check the condition, and...

IMG_1948.JPG

Red vinyl motherfucker, RED VINYL!!!!

I may never play it, not sure if I care that much. But as an object, hell, OG Drown Red Vinyl, one does not buy that for the music, right?

Nothing was over $6.99, most all were $4.99, a few were $3.99. I had $20.00 worth of HP gift cards from father's day, so after tax, a little over $50.00