Great Finds

desertblues

That Blakey sounds like a 'great find' in mint. Paris Jazz Corner have just auctioned a similar copy but yours sounds like it's in better nick ! :excited:

any idea what it went for, just curious, I paid 8 euro for my copy, its a pretty quiet pressing .(not sure how it'd be officially graded)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Blakey sounds like a 'great find' in mint. Paris Jazz Corner have just auctioned a similar copy but yours sounds like it's in better nick !  :excited:

any idea what it went for, just curious, I paid 8 euro for my copy, its a pretty quiet pressing .(not sure how it'd be officially graded)

No idea Clunky - it was listed in their catalogue along with other 'rarities' but I've no details as to what price it went for. If you are interested perhaps it would be worth emailing them? (auction ended 15th July I think). If you got this one for 8 euros then that is one heck of a bargain.

Jackie McLean - New Soil (immaculate Liberty pressing) - $12

Jack Wilson - Something Personal (same as above) - $12

Hey Brandon, only in DC for a few weeks and already scooping up the good LPs :lol:

BTW, I've become a Jack Wilson fan and have the Conn of "Something Personal," which I like a lot. Roy Ayers is on vibes.

Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue. One of those fun finds that we've all experienced. Went to a local used record store and found this lp, problem was that the cover was an absolute mess. It had been in water, so the cover had water stains all over it, plus the warpped edges that comes with water. Still, I looked at the lp itself and it's very dirty but no scratches or scuff marks. So I say: "What the heck, it's only $2.00(!)." Take it home, clean it up, and it plays pure mint. I love finds like this. B)

Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue. One of those fun finds that we've all experienced. Went to a local used record store and found this lp, problem was that the cover was an absolute mess. It had been in water, so the cover had water stains all over it, plus the warpped edges that comes with water. Still, I looked at the lp itself and it's very dirty but no scratches or scuff marks. So I say: "What the heck, it's only $2.00(!)." Take it home, clean it up, and it plays pure mint. I love finds like this. B)

Yes, I think you're right. It's harder to warm up to some $30 audiophile issue than to a $2.00 castoff rescued from further meglect- especially when it ends up playing like one of those $30 discs, maybe even better. Those original disc have an almost talismanic power.

especially when it ends up playing like one of those $30 discs, maybe even better.  Those original disc have an almost talismanic power.

That's the trick and it can get tiresome if you keep finding worn copies that play like fried chicken in the skillet. I probably would still be doing lots of record hunting, but stores in my area have all but disappeared.

Edited by wolff

Charlie Byrd:Blues Sonata (Riverside Mono) green label-Orpheum £2.50

great sound and Byrd doesn't sound half as cheesy as I expected- nice album.

I recall mention elsewhere regarding "green label" riversides- can't remember what the significance was- perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Also found five Woody Herman Phillips Lps from 1962-1963, all in excellent condition ( UK pressings)

especially when it ends up playing like one of those $30 discs, maybe even better.  Those original disc have an almost talismanic power.

That's the trick and it can get tiresome if you keep finding worn copies that play like fried chicken in the skillet. I probably would still be doing lots of record hunting, but stores in my area have all but disappeared.

Wolff, I hear ya. I'm not knocking audiophile pressings, per se. I have a number of them myself (maybe 6-10). They certainly have their role to play.

It's just that they are often marketed with the implicit idea of "perfect sound." From the online chat that I have read on various boards, it seems when we get one of them, we expect perfection (or damn close to it) for our $30, $45, or $50.

By contrast, when we pick up a $2.00 stray, get it home, and "rehabilitate" it, we accept it's imperfections, as well as its virtues. The music is the important thing. The sense of history, of provenance, of kismet, add to the charm of the record.

Anyway, when I'm out scouting for LPs, I do try to avoid those that will most likely have that "fried chicken in a skillet" - (great description Wolff!) sound. Granted, not always easy to do, even on clean looking vinyl. I've gotten less picky, though. I'm not obsessive about some surface noice. I take it as part of the "vinyl experience."

"What the heck, it's only $2.00(!)." Take it home, clean it up, and it plays pure mint. I love finds like this. B)

I had this experience last year with a NY address, mono copy of Lee Morgan's "Cornbread". Van Gelder in the wax, THICK vinyl, two bucks, quite dirty, cover in rough shape. Took it home, cleaned it up, and though it still has some surface noise, the superiority of its fidelity over its CD counterpart is astonishing. I have records that look FAR better than this, but don't play with nearly the same musicality (for lack of a better term) that this one does.

I recall mention elsewhere regarding "green label" riversides- can't remember what the significance was- perhaps someone can enlighten me.

This was the label from 1964-67. The Byrd you have was originally released in 1963, so I'm gessing yours is a re-issue.

Found three records today for cheap in Takoma Park and Silver Spring, MD

all $3

Shelly Manne and His Men, Vol 1 -- still sealed, one of those mid-80s (?) ones with the $6.98 retail sticker on the large yellow Fantasy OJC sticker. Very slight warp, but I have it on now and it plays perfectly. Art Pepper, Jimmy Giuffre, Bud Shank are on this one.

Arnett Cobb "The Wild Man From Texas" -- Classic Jazz label, looks exactly like Inner City Records releases from the 70s. Looks mint.

The John Handy Quintet "The 2nd John Handy Album" -- Red Columbia 2-eye 360-Sound label. Looks mint also.

the bestest finds are to me those that bring a big surprise and a big smile. Some unknown artists playing the hell out of it and presenting us with something else.

Yesterday I found a copy of a 45rpm 7" from Czechoslovakia and Karel Krautgartner put me right back on my toes. There's a lot going on in this music that verges on the silly, the classic, and the jazz. I for one love it. It has some Ellingtonian dance band qualities and some plain WACK writing. Just the thing for couw...

Karel Krautgartner - Neons (4.4 Mb mp3) to listen, right click and save.

The B side has some good stuff by the Gustav Brom orchestra BTW.

Found a great copy of Gerry Mulligan's "Jazz Combo From I Want To Live" on the original deep groove mono red label (United Artists) for $10 at a local record swap meet! Not to be confused with the full-orchestra sound track lp from that film, it's a "small group swinger" with Art Farmer, Bud Shank, Frank Rosolino, Pete Jolly & Shelly Manne. Amazing to find this in m- condition these days for cheap $ - and a nice companion to the Concert Jazz Band Mosaic which has versions of some of these tunes! :D

Found a great copy of Gerry Mulligan's "Jazz Combo From I Want To Live" on the original deep groove mono red label (United Artists) for $10 at a local record swap meet!

What is the catalog number??

Catalog number is UAL 4006, cover also states "Barney Kessel appears by arrangement with Contemporary Records" but he does not appear on the record!

Purchased today in a record store in Old Town Alexandria:

Shirley Scott Blue Seven green label Prestige $7

Elmo Hope The Elmo Hope memorial Album Green label Prestige $7

Art Pepper One September Afternoon Galaxy $8

My favorite of the day (and maybe my now-favorite piece of vinyl). Not really a "Great Find" but more accurately an "Expensive Find":

Art Pepper Meets The Rythm Section Original deep groove mono Contemporary. Looks and plays NM, the jacket is VG, with a "Demonstration Copy" stamp (front and back, also on the LP label), some very slight age fading (no ringwear) and a small crease in the corner of the backside of the cover. All the seams are intact though. I paid $99 for it. The sound is unbelieveable. I don't think I will play the CD of this ever again.

Art Pepper Meets The Rythm Section  Original deep groove mono Contemporary.  Looks and plays NM, the jacket is VG, with a "Demonstration Copy" stamp (front and back, also on the LP label), some very slight age fading (no ringwear) and a small crease in the corner of the backside of the cover.  All the seams are intact though.  I paid $99 for it.  The sound is unbelieveable.  I don't think I will play the CD of this ever again.

Glad it worked out for you. That's a highly sought after LP. I don't think I have any early Pepper originals, but I can imagine how good it must sound, as I have originals of lesser titles. All you need now is Rollins' Way Out West. :D

Art Pepper Meets The Rythm Section  Original deep groove mono Contemporary.  Looks and plays NM, the jacket is VG, with a "Demonstration Copy" stamp (front and back, also on the LP label), some very slight age fading (no ringwear) and a small crease in the corner of the backside of the cover.  All the seams are intact though.  I paid $99 for it.  The sound is unbelieveable.  I don't think I will play the CD of this ever again.

Glad it worked out for you. That's a highly sought after LP. I don't think I have any early Pepper originals, but I can imagine how good it must sound, as I have originals of lesser titles. All you need now is Rollins' Way Out West. :D

Yeah, I'd love to have that one. I have an early copy of Tenor Madness, and it sounds great. The rest of my early Rollins is on CD in the Prestige box. There is (or was) a copy of Saxophone Collossus on E-Bay and I can't imagine what it will go for.

Charlie Parker 5 LP Set Complete Savoy Studio Sessions $16

Stone mint. :D

Fairly common set from 1978. Acetates transferred by Rudy Van Gelder.

Nice, full size booklet.

Quiet vinyl and nice transfer job.

Seems like their are too many alt takes for my taste(most songs have 4 or 5), but I guess that's why it is called complete. I'll probably be doing a burn of the good takes.

Parker and I have one thing in common. He can make an alto squeak, too. :)

Seems like their are too many alt takes for my taste(most songs have 4 or 5), but I guess that's why it is called complete. I'll probably be doing a burn of the good takes.

You'll be happy then to find out that - despite the claims of the box being Complete - some of the alternate takes of 'Marmaduke' are missing B-)

This is the one flaw with this superb box.

$16 for a stone mint copy of this! This is not a Great Find! It's a steal!

You'll be happy then to find out that - despite the claims of the box being Complete - some of the alternate takes of 'Marmaduke' are missing  B-)

LMAO!! That is so funny!!

I just got done listening to, what I thought were, all eight takes of that song. :)

I know why this is possibly stone mint. It's a DJ/Promo copy and there are a few notations in pencil on the individual sleaves referring to false starts, etc.. It would have driven a DJ crazy to play this LP, as many tracks have two false starts and then a clean, full take inside the same band. Too much work to figure out, so he probably shelved it.

They did not leave much out. There is sharp, loud whistling from the engineer to the band that scares the crap out of me every time he does it. :)