desertblues

Great Finds

1,267 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I've never seen a Dial classical LP in the flesh. Then again, I didn't start looking at classical LPs until a few years ago.

I've got one of the Dial Schoenbegs, #2 maybe? (red/red-orange color), that my uncle bought back in the day. Chamber Symphony #1, iirc.

I'll have to look when I get back home. HEAVY vinyl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's jsut for looking, but I went back to a Half-Price I hit good about a month ago and found more stuff this time. Again "great" or not, we'll see. But at these prices, it's big fun to just have the chance to find out!

Faces_poster2.jpg

Teo's apparently involved here.

R-2663849-1530612656-5788.jpeg.jpg

Because my appetite for cynicism continues unabated.

R-6661459-1447030978-4650.jpeg.jpg

Yeah, sure!

R-4125845-1381172037-2767.jpeg.jpg

with Philadelphia Joe Jones no less.

R-2131213-1413020719-2968.jpeg.jpg

with Johnny Pacheco!!! or so says the bootleg!

R-6370628-1417572044-9651.jpeg.jpg

...and suddenly it dawns on me that thre was "classical music" before Bach...

R-2496227-1421905537-6146.jpeg.jpg

The recent Sauter-Finegan discussion did not go without impact. No expectations of greatness, but guys like this very often find a way to get their shit in there somehow, somewhere. So let's see.

R-2099056-1407156794-5621.jpeg.jpg

arranged by Onzy Matthews!?!?!?!?!

MI0004441984.jpg

Sister Rosetta in 1961 produced by Creed Taylor, who knew? Again, Verve - The Bottomless Pit Of Who Knew?

R-11629883-1519694092-3104.jpeg.jpg

Been having good luck with this vintage of Turnabout things, onward until proven otherwise!

R-3570142-1335693737.jpeg.jpg

R-3570142-1335693747.jpeg.jpg

Jack Jones LPs abound in the used bins here, but I don't need all that. What made this one look like it needed to follow me home was the tune selection (in spite of YuckPerople), especially "Lush Life". Sinatra backed out, Jack Jones did not, one more reason why I don't mind buying the occasioanl Jack Jones record. Skills aplenty all over the place. This seems to have a whill of fuckyouFrank,maybe to it. If so, hey, Jack Jones, game on.

holiday-for-jazz-2-lps-on-1-cd.jpg

Geeeeezzzus, there are some people on this record!

513JFNZZMDL._SY355_.jpg

2 LPs for $2.00. Vinyl looks totally clean. No way not to buy it.

All this music for $54.00 + tax,

DSC06110.jpg

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was on vacation and found these for $.50 each at thrift store. Maybe not major fines but once I cleaned nicotine away they both sound decent.

DB82B261-AF61-49A3-96DB-CE139F14E313.jpeg

AF4241DA-1E9F-4E93-81BE-EE3F44832747.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 8:09 PM, JSngry said:

513JFNZZMDL._SY355_.jpg

2 LPs for $2.00. Vinyl looks totally clean. No way not to buy it.

I can never look at a Boyd Raeburn disc with Ginny Powell on it the same way ever again. Aric's granpa. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found at the local record show in a box labeled "Blue Notes In Here." Everything in the box was beat up and caked with debris. This one *only* had a thick layer of crud but with no discernible damage. Two soaks on the VPI and as many baths on the KL and it came out nice and clean, at least a VG+. Not bad for a twenty.

BGBN.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, spinlps said:

Found at the local record show in a box labeled "Blue Notes In Here." Everything in the box was beat up and caked with debris. This one *only* had a thick layer of crud but with no discernible damage. Two soaks on the VPI and as many baths on the KL and it came out nice and clean, at least a VG+. Not bad for a twenty.

BGBN.png

Nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First car boot sale of the year today, and bought a copy Kenneth Terroade's "Love Rejoice" for 75p.

I had never heard of Kenneth or any of the other players, so figured it would be free jazz - I can see that it is. As ever, surprised to find something so out at an English car boot sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, rdavenport said:

First car boot sale of the year today, and bought a copy Kenneth Terroade's "Love Rejoice" for 75p.

I had never heard of Kenneth or any of the other players, so figured it would be free jazz - I can see that it is. As ever, surprised to find something so out at an English car boot sale.

Did they have any 75p Mike Taylor or Rendell/Carr LPs? :)

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Did they have any 75p Mike Taylor or Rendell/Carr LPs? :)

£1.50 for them, they're not Free Jazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Did they have any 75p Mike Taylor or Rendell/Carr LPs? :)

Ha ha, it was the only jazz LP in the box, unless you count Deodato, and  Roberta Flack, presented by Les McCann (I also bought those).

I was all set to pay £1 each, but he let me have the 4 LPs I chose for £3.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found Shelley Manne’s My Fair Lady today in what looks to be top condition for $2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/08/2020 at 10:07 AM, rdavenport said:

First car boot sale of the year today, and bought a copy Kenneth Terroade's "Love Rejoice" for 75p.

I had never heard of Kenneth or any of the other players, so figured it would be free jazz - I can see that it is. As ever, surprised to find something so out at an English car boot sale.

Not really loving it, I must say

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(IMO) excellent session. Ken returned to his native Jamaica and is now a missionary. Sweet man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

00-W0-W-5z4v-FDx3-Im-U-0py0t2-1200x900 00g0g-d-JZyh2-NNm0-Z-0op0t2-1200x900
i got a 1930 victor r-39, it has boosted my love of pre-bird jazz 900%- let  me tell you, i was very, very mistaken, very mistaken, in expectation of sound quality, it far exceeds what I thought was possible in SQ.  those, are they 30s, theyre 30s right?   ellington brunswicks--  they just blast through this thing- sounds absolutely incredible.  i put anson weeks through it, the i phone has every 78 he ever made on it at the flick of a scroll.  The I phone and the victor r-39 pair together nicely via am transmitter..  the thing sounds incredible.  I recommend it as an accessory for any fan of pre bird jazz.   Theyre just giving them away all over the country.  Anyone who wants one get get one basically at this point.  You just need to fish for the right one for you.  This was from right when RCA merged with Victor.  They kept the Victor name for the TRF sets and  the used the rca radiola name for the superhets.  I have one tube out but because its push-pull amp they tell me it still works but all i do is buy the expensive tube, gently lift the old one out and gently put the new one in.  i dont think im gonna hurt anything in that. But the 20s radio big dawg said fidelity will be improved with the other tube firing. i can hardly imagine what duke will sound like then- it was aboustely incredible.  almost, or even, better than having the original 78. recommendations welcomed for period jazz and general music and resources besides archive.org and youtube etc.......  i wish i could get all the ellington brunswicks in a row on the phone somehwere- is that stuff even available?  look at the dial:

   1120067995-10100632070826968-5810369001490630348-o

 

 

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 2:39 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

00-W0-W-5z4v-FDx3-Im-U-0py0t2-1200x900 00g0g-d-JZyh2-NNm0-Z-0op0t2-1200x900
i got a 1930 victor r-39, it has boosted my love of pre-bird jazz 900%- let  me tell you, i was very, very mistaken, very mistaken, in expectation of sound quality, it far exceeds what I thought was possible in SQ.  those, are they 30s, theyre 30s right?   ellington brunswicks--  they just blast through this thing- sounds absolutely incredible.  i put anson weeks through it, the i phone has every 78 he ever made on it at the flick of a scroll.  The I phone and the victor r-39 pair together nicely via am transmitter..  the thing sounds incredible.  I recommend it as an accessory for any fan of pre bird jazz.   Theyre just giving them away all over the country.  Anyone who wants one get get one basically at this point.  You just need to fish for the right one for you.  This was from right when RCA merged with Victor.  They kept the Victor name for the TRF sets and  the used the rca radiola name for the superhets.  I have one tube out but because its push-pull amp they tell me it still works but all i do is buy the expensive tube, gently lift the old one out and gently put the new one in.  i dont think im gonna hurt anything in that. But the 20s radio big dawg said fidelity will be improved with the other tube firing. i can hardly imagine what duke will sound like then- it was aboustely incredible.  almost, or even, better than having the original 78. recommendations welcomed for period jazz and general music and resources besides archive.org and youtube etc.......  i wish i could get all the ellington brunswicks in a row on the phone somehwere- is that stuff even available?  look at the dial:

   1120067995-10100632070826968-5810369001490630348-o

 

 

It looks like an old liquor cabinet. Not my style at all - I wouldn't take this if it was free. It appears that you do not have a wife. :)

And I have absolutely zero interest in how this sounds. Antique Lo-Fi sound at its finest is still nowhere near as good as a modern basic digital set-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going through some LP’s and found this gem. Dexter Gordon’s Doin’ Alright....sealed with original Woolco Dept Store receipt. 🙂

1-E42-A0-AB-51-A4-4-F40-BC66-A2-E3-BD793

Edited by charlieboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, charlieboy said:

Going through some LP’s and goind this gem. Dexter Gordon’s Doin’ Alright....sealed with original Woolco Dept Store receipt. 🙂

1-E42-A0-AB-51-A4-4-F40-BC66-A2-E3-BD793

:tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.