Horace Parlan Mosaic running low

J.A.W.

I'm already on the Parlan bandwagon and would also highly recommend picking this one up before it disappears. Back in the day I had 2 or 3 other Mosaics in my sights when I looked at the Parlan set out of curiosity and listened to some samples of the music from the set. After that, Parlan shot to the top of the list and became the priority for my next buy. It's a lot of great music and I didn't want to wait until it was running low and risk the chance that I might miss it. It's one of my favorite Mosaics.

Edited by mikelz777

This is indeed a great set and I'd immediately order it if I didn't already have the Japanese "Blue Note Works" TOCJs, which only omit a few alternates.

I'll bet those sound sweet! :)

Yep, they do and sonically I prefer them to the Mosaic, although that set isn't bad either. I sold the Mosaic when I got the TOCJs. For those interested: the TOCJs are long gone and pretty hard to find. Get the Mosaic instead!

Edited by J.A.W.

I won't be getting this one having Us3, Headin South, Happy frame.., On the spur of the moment, Speakin my piece as CDs or LP.

I regret to say that I find Us3 and Headin South to be amongst the dullest Blue Notes issued under Alfred Lion's tenure in charge. The other sets i have are pretty brilliant which is equally infuriating given how dull the trio sessions are.

Edited by Clunky

Although tempted for years I had put off buying this set. Reasons included a growing interest in early jazz over hard bop and as some Blue Note Mosaics end up being getting RVG releases I figured I could pick up the sessions that way on this one went OOP. Also I wasn't sure if I wanted the trio sessions.

However after taking almost 2 years off from hard bop (not cold turkey mind you, but playing it a lot less) it's been finding its way on the player more lately. Time away certainly from it has refreshed it for me. I've also been playing more Mosaic sets lately, even pulling out the booklets and reading through them again. And recently a Griffin/Lockjaw session w/ Parlan got played, and then the Parlan session on the Turrentine Mosaic...

So I ordered myself a box of Horace in black & white. :)

No offensive to album cover art of the included releases, but (note weasel words please) relatively speaking on the whole I find his covers less interesting than many of the other Blue Note releases, I'm not going to let not having the album cover artwork bug me in the least (not that I've ever let that stop me from buying a Mosaic.)

Edited by Quincy

I won't be getting this one having Us3, Headin South, Happy frame.., On the spur of the moment, Speakin my piece as CDs or LP.

I regret to say that I find Us3 and Headin South to be amongst the dullest Blue Notes issued under Alfred Lion's tenure in charge. The other sets i have are pretty brilliant which is equally infuriating given how dull the trio sessions are.

I love this set but I agree with you on Headin' South, Clunky. It is the weakest of the lot. At least, I like the sleeve.. :rolleyes:

For those of you who have some King pressings and the LP set, I'd be interested to know how they compare soundwise.

Edited by ASNL77

Considering yesterday's market results, you'd think the last thing I'd do is buy another Mosaic set today. I didn't want to miss this one, though! I just ordered it, and I can't wait to hear it.

You can comfort yourself in the knowledge that a soon-to-be-out-of-print Mosaic is a whale of a lot better investment than most stocks these days!

Greg Mo

Considering yesterday's market results, you'd think the last thing I'd do is buy another Mosaic set today. I didn't want to miss this one, though! I just ordered it, and I can't wait to hear it.

You can comfort yourself in the knowledge that a soon-to-be-out-of-print Mosaic is a whale of a lot better investment than most stocks these days!

Greg Mo

You're not wrong. I won't go into detail, but I will say this: ouch.