Horace Parlan Mosaic running low

J.A.W.

I think I'm going to spring for it. I've been listening a lot lately to Stanley Turrentine's Look Out!, and have been very impressed with Parlan's comping.

This definitely falls in the category called "If you like A, then you'll like B" because the Parlan sessions with the Turrentine brothers are worth the price of admission alone!

Considering yesterday's market results, you'd think the last thing I'd do is buy another Mosaic set today. I didn't want to miss this one, though! I just ordered it, and I can't wait to hear it.

You can comfort yourself in the knowledge that a soon-to-be-out-of-print Mosaic is a whale of a lot better investment than most stocks these days!

Greg Mo

:lol:

This is a nice set, very good sound and meat/potatoes Blue Note (I mean that in a complementary sense). My favorite sessions are the last ones with Booker Ervin and Grant Green.

I agree with Hans' earlier post--forced to choose, I think I'd go with this over the GW (though I like that one too)

Edited by montg

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW the nice price TOCJ RVG of Movin' and Groovin' is imminent, with Headin' South to follow in November. I'm guessing that means more to come, though whether these will come out as 'domestic' issues remains to be seen.

PS I don't know why I am even writing this. I don't know how many more of these (re)reissues I can stand...

Edited by David Ayers

• 1 month later...

I have had this set for ages and I just love it. Just a groove!

Horace is a very interesting player and really draws me in when I'm listening to him.

I rearranged the set in chronological order, having never heard any of the original albums - there was too much else to try to get back in those golden days of jazz. The collection starts with just the trio, which is very absorbing on its own, and then leads up to the priceless sessions with the Turrentine brothers. Welcome on my hifi set at any time.

Horace, George Tucker and Al Harewood made a terrific section. As Stanley Turrentine once said, "Al is tasty". George reminds me of Mingus a bit, with his aggressive plucking; you can always tell when it's him. The same can be said of Horace!

Hans mentioned the TOCJs. (Alas, long gone; the definitive Blue Note reissues.) There are not a lot of alternates in the Mosaic set, so you are pretty well set up with those.

For those who enjoy these sessions (and what's not to like?), check out Horace's work on Roland Kirk's "I Talk With The Spirits" album. His playing is in the same vein there and it makes a good complement to the Blue Notes.

• 3 weeks later...

This is OOP now. I placed an order the other day, and it went through, but I just received an email saying the set is sold out (and that my order was cancelled). It was totally stupid to wait until the last minute . . . anyway, does anyone know of a way to get this set, other than ebay?

• 3 weeks later...

I swear, Horace Parlan is one of the most neglected artists to record for BN; the single US cd reissue program for his material has been poor at best. I only own three of his dates, 'On the Spur of the Moment' and 'Us Three' (reissued in the Conn series) and Happy Frame of Mind, which probably only saw release based on the sidemen, and based on these alone, especially On the Spur..., these are uniformly excellent discs. The Turrentine brothers made an excellent front line. I'm glad the Mosaic collected his sessions under one cover, but man, here we go again with these sessions being lost to posterity. Yet another catasrophe :rolleyes: