Calvin Jackson

Teasing the Korean

flat5, "Lotus Land" was on the Columbia LP 'The Calvin Jackson Quartet' (CL 756, recorded in NYC June 27, 1955 -- never on CD) with Jackson, piano; Peter Appleyard, vibes; Johnny Stapleton, bass; Howie Reay, drums. It was a popular Toronto band of the day...

The current issue of "coda" jazz magazine has an excellent feature article on Calvin Jackson.

http://www.coda1958.com/

Is this the one with a black and orange cover? My father had this LP. Can't really remember much of the music except I thought it sounded like "old jazz", but I liked his version of "All the Things You Are". For some reason I decided to put it on my parents' answering machine as outgoing message. They were not enchanted.

Three summer session in NYC (with two different bassists) produced two Columbia LPs.

"The Calvin Jackson Quartet" Columbia LP 756, and

"Rave Notice" Columbia LP 824

In 1953 and 1954 pretty much the same quartet did sessions for Victor (four studio sides) and Vik (a live album).

This was a very popular and successful group -- Jackson died in late 1985, Appleyard remains an in-demand artist today.

Edited by Ted O'Reilly

There's quite a big write-up on Calvin Jackson and his influence in the Buddy Collette bio.

Which Buddy Collette bio is that? Details, please.

Isoardi Book

Just happened to be reasing it the other day and read the section on Jackson.

Thanks, Sidewinder. I think I'll be able to come up with that one...

No problem Ted ! It's a good book, well worth grabbing hold of.

• 11 years later...