Bobby Hutcherson Head On

andybleaden

One word...WOW!

I used to have Head On on Lp then burnt it and sold the lp when my lps went.

This latest reissue is fantastic both for the original material but more so for teh extra 3 bonus tracks which are longer than the original LP...it is as the notes say like having a whole other new LP for free

AND

The bonus tracks are absolutely brilliant, really strong and how they never saw the light the first time around .......well I know why but they are very very good. Gradually picked the later BH material on CD to replace older Lps and they are really enjoyable

I would recommend this cd to those who like Bobby H and need more

and to make it even better it cost me 5 quid shipped and sealed!

post-269-1221648555_thumb.jpg

Edited by andybleaden

Yes, we've talked about this one. There seems to be a split of opinion on this . . . . Put me down on the Wow side. I've always liked the lp, and this expansion is just more goodness beefing it up into one great cd. I can understand why others don't like it though, it's very different from the Bobby on Blue Note of the mid-sixites or so.

I thought the new stuff was better than the original lp

if you want to try the last three tracks perhaps cliff englewood as they seem quite different and reminded me more of other Hutch dates

As for the opinion of others or another or les autres...maybe others may confer or confirm or conform

• 3 months later...

I've got to put this one on again soon! In the meantime I also got "Now!", which is again a very different animal (and different from what's called "Hutcherson on Blue Note" above, too). Not nearly as intriguing as "Head On", but still worth mentioning, I think.

"Slow Change" and "Hello To The Wind" on 'Now!' are spectacular, Gene McDaniels' greatest moments (and very different than either "Compared to What" or, especially "A Hundred Pounds of Clay"!).

Can someone correct the typo in the thread title please?

It should say 'Booby' not 'Bobby' :P

That makes me think... why did Booby never record with Booger Ervin (Irwing?), wouldn't that have been great? They could have founded a band "Booby & Booger Do the Boog-a-Boo" or some such... :crazy:

• 3 weeks later...

I only learned about the reissue a few days ago and picked up a copy immediately. The LP was great, but with the bonus tracks it's definitely a WOW! album.

What surprises me is that nobody here has said a word about Todd Cochran. The bulk of tunes was penned by Cochran (who was only 19 years old at the time), and in my opinion there are some really beautiful and compelling compositions on this one. It seems Todd Cochran was much of a child prodigy and had a flying start on the West Coast in the early 70s, playing on this Hutcherson album, Hadley Caliman's "Iapetus", and on Julian Priester's mesmerizing "Love, Love", to name a few. He also released a couple of albums as a leader under the name of Bayete Umbra Zindiko, of which "Worlds Around The Sun" is highly recommended.

By the way, Hutcherson and Cochran recorded another session with James Leary (b) and Michael Carvin (dr) which was rejected by Blue Note and remains unreleased to this day...

The most comprehensive account of Cochran's peculiar and yet fascinating career can be read here: http://neverenoughrhodes.blogspot.com/2008...dd-cochran.html

Phunkey,

Thanks for posting the link to the Cochran(e) discographical analysis. That's as good a musical biography as I've seen. Some of those audio clips, especially the jazz based ones, are very intriguing. One can certainly hear the influence of Cochrane's classical background in his music. FWIW, I did some quick research and found that Head On and Julian Priester's Love, Love are both available from iTunes. Some of his other albums can be downloaded from other sources, but I'm going to have to convince myself that I want to jump through the hoops to make that happen.

Again, thanks for the link.

Up over and out.

• 1 year later...

Saw this in the $5 bin and decided to give it a shot. Woah, count me in the WOW side! The writing is tight and the playing superb. I'm so glad I picked it up. I also found a copy of Now! Haven't spun it yet, but I really bought it kind of blindly because of how impressed I was with Head On. I understand these two albums aren't in the same style per se, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this in the $5 bin and decided to give it a shot. Woah, count me in the WOW side! The writing is tight and the playing superb. I'm so glad I picked it up. I also found a copy of Now! Haven't spun it yet, but I really bought it kind of blindly because of how impressed I was with Head On. I understand these two albums aren't in the same style per se, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

What did you think of Now!? That's one of my favorite Hutcherson records. Eugene McDaniels, who led the vocalists on that one, lives in my town...he's a great guy and is still singing and writing music.

I was, and am still, blown away by the Head On reissue. The bonus tracks make it for me...I thought it was just "okay" on the original LP release. Some great moments definitely, but not Bobby's best record. But with the bonus tracks it's a whole new ballgame. Not only are the bonus tracks better than much of what's on the original album, I think they actually make the original album sound better by association! I think there is some more unreleased Hutcherson material from around this period and I hope it eventually sees the light of day.