Thoughts on regional orchestras

ejp626

There is a reasonable chance I will be leaving Chicago next year, and the leading candidate cities are Milwaukee and Minneapolis. I know that nothing will quite compare to the Chicago Symphony, which I go to fairly frequently, but I thought I would gather any information I could on these two symphonies (or on anything else people want to contribute). I'd say from a quick glance at their websites, both are fairly serious with at least 4 to 8 concerts per month (or even more). This is in sharp contrast to Portland, where it really looked like the symphony played a handful of times a season. Milwaukee's symphony appears to travel around the state more, and the Minneapolis Symphony does appear to offer more repeat performances of each program (3 versus 2 for Milwaukee). Both were fairly middle of the road in terms of what they performed, but Milwaukee looked just a bit more adventurous. Anyway, if anyone has comments about the quality of either group that would be appreciated.

Eric

There is a reasonable chance I will be leaving Chicago next year, and the leading candidate cities are Milwaukee and Minneapolis. I know that nothing will quite compare to the Chicago Symphony, which I go to fairly frequently, but I thought I would gather any information I could on these two symphonies (or on anything else people want to contribute). I'd say from a quick glance at their websites, both are fairly serious with at least 4 to 8 concerts per month (or even more). This is in sharp contrast to Portland, where it really looked like the symphony played a handful of times a season. Milwaukee's symphony appears to travel around the state more, and the Minneapolis Symphony does appear to offer more repeat performances of each program (3 versus 2 for Milwaukee). Both were fairly middle of the road in terms of what they performed, but Milwaukee looked just a bit more adventurous. Anyway, if anyone has comments about the quality of either group that would be appreciated.

Eric

Don't for get that in addition to the Minnesota Orchestra, we also have the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra. Most definitely of the same caliber. MinnOrch has been nice in featuring the works of Aho for several years now.

I have only seen the Minnesota Orchestra a handful of times. I have always thought the performances were first class but the patrons a tad too stuffy for me. From what I have seen the program doesn't have as much variety as the Chicago Symphony but I believe it is also much cheaper.

I have heard very good things about the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra but have yet to attend. I might go next month since they will have Maria Schneider in town to premier a piece they commissioned.

There is also The Schubert Club but it has more of a focus on recital performances and The Minnesota Opera, which I have also heard good things about.

There is no comparison. While Milwaukee is a fine regional orchestra and probably a top 20 symphony, Minnesota is a world class ensemble. Bigger budget. Better players. Truly outstanding conductor -- Vanska is the real deal, a major international player. Minnesota's peer group by budget size includes Detroit, St. Louis, Cincinnati and I tend to more or less group these orchestras together in the sense that on any given night, with the right conductor in the right repertoire, they can sound as good or better than any of the traditional Big 5. Now, consistency and peak performance capability is another discussion and so is artistic vision. I cannot comment on Minnesota's programming since I haven't studied what they play -- and this is in some ways just as important or more important than how they play. But if the question is how do they play, the answer is great. Plus, the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra is terrific.

Edited by Mark Stryker