Jimi Hendrix

7/4

• 5 months later...

"You know the power of his lyrics and his words, there's just something about being able to touch it and experience it and feel it and have it in a different form close to your body. It's a new experience all in itself," says Janie Hendrix, his sister and CEO of Experience Hendrix, the company that manages the late Seattle guitarist's estate.

Calling all Plaster Casters!!!

I'll be morbidly curious to see how it differs from what is already being sold which is pretty much anything imagined (baby clothes, bike jerseys, etc.). But the fact that it'll be sold in Bloomingdales is so very weird. I still find it strange to see spinning racks of Hendrix and Bob Marley incense sticks packaged, as to me I imagine the smell of death or pot. I don't think that's what they're going for, but I never bothered to read the flavors.

• 1 year later...

I'll be morbidly curious to see how it differs from what is already being sold which is pretty much anything imagined (baby clothes, bike jerseys, etc.). But the fact that it'll be sold in Bloomingdales is so very weird. I still find it strange to see spinning racks of Hendrix and Bob Marley incense sticks packaged, as to me I imagine the smell of death or pot. I don't think that's what they're going for, but I never bothered to read the flavors.

The only reason to burn incense is to cover up the smell of pot, so I'm sure the scents are something different. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

I have it (Xmas gift) and have leafed through it, holding off on reading it . . . just sort of waiting for the right time.

I figured you would have it, Lon. One of the pieces I read had several snippets, which were very insightful - more about life than music, actually.

Most of it has been out again in different mixes. As someone who grew up listeing to the lps I'm happy to have them coming out, in the album mixes and sequence and they are to be mastered by Bernie Grundman, promising to sound really good. They're also going cheaply.

Edited by jazzbo

Most of it has been out again in different mixes. As someone who grew up listeing to the lps I'm happy to have them coming out, in the album mixes and sequence and they are to be mastered by Bernie Grundman, promising to sound really good. They're also going cheaply.

I hate to say it, but I was thinking the same thing. :g

• 3 years later...

New release in March:

Both Sides Of The Sky presents 13 studio recordings including 10 which have never before been released. All but two of these studio recordings were made during a fertile period between January 1968 and 1970. Jimi's mastery and use of the studio as a proving ground for new songs resulted in a growing collection of extraordinary material. This album completes a trilogy of albums [with Valleys Of Neptune and People, Hell & Angels] presenting the best and most significant unissued studio recordings remaining in the Hendrix archive. The songs include fascinating alternate versions of "Stepping Stone," "Lover Man" and "Hear My Train A Comin'" as well as recordings where Jimi is joined by special guests Johnny Winter and Stephen Stills. Both Sides Of The Sky was mixed by Eddie Kramer, the engineer for all of Hendrix's albums throughout the guitarist's lifetime, and produced by Janie Hendrix, Kramer and John McDermott.

Mannish Boy - The first ever studio session by the group Hendrix would christen as his Band Of Gypsys. Hendrix, Cox & Miles shared a love for the blues as this driving, uptempo reworking of "Mannish Boy" by Muddy Waters makes clear.

Lover Man - Just two weeks before their triumphant New Year's concerts at the Fillmore East in NYC [yielding both 1970's Band Of Gypsys and 2016's sequel Machine Gun], Hendrix gathered with Cox and Miles to cut this dynamic rendition of what had become a favorite concert staple.

Stepping Stone - A totally unique take on this Hendrix favorite, with Jimi showcasing both blues and country styled licks atop a relentless, galloping beat.

$20 Fine -Stephen Stills joined Jimi, Mitch Mitchell and Buddy Miles Express keyboardist Duane Hitchings at this September 1969 session. With Stephen handling lead vocals and organ, Jimi added multiple guitar parts to this rollicking Stills original.

Power Of Soul - This 1970 studio session came three weeks after the Band Of Gypsys concerts at the Fillmore East. While a live version remains one of the highpoints of Band Of Gypsys, Jimi never released a studio version during his lifetime. For this album, we present the mix that Hendrix and Kramer prepared of the complete song at Electric Lady on August 22, 1970.

Jungle - The influence of Curtis Mayfield can be heard here as Jimi expands on the "Villanova Junction Blues" theme he made famous by its inclusion in the 1970 Woodstock documentary.

Things I Used To Do - Jimi is joined for this rendition of Guitar Slim's blues classic by Johnny Winter. Jimi's trademark guitar work and Winter's deft slide playing weaves in and around the foundation set by bassist Billy Cox and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young drummer Dallas Taylor.

Georgia Blues - Jimi reunited with some old friends from his pre-Experience days. Lonnie Youngblood, with whom Hendrix played in R&B groups like Curtis Knight & The Squires, voiced this superb twelve bar blues neatly underpinned by Hendrix's sublime rhythm and lead guitar work.

Sweet Angel - With Axis: Bold As Love only just released, Jimi immediately turned his focus to recording what would become Electric Ladyland. This gorgeous, instrumental reading of "Angel,", features Jimi on guitar, bass and vibraphone joined by Mitch Mitchell.

Woodstock - Stephen Stills came to this session fresh from having visited Joni Mitchell, who had a new song that Stills was excited to try and record. Long before CSNY's version, Stephen, Jimi and Buddy Miles recorded this amazing rendition.

Send My Love To Linda - A superb new Hendrix original composition recorded with Cox and Miles in the aftermath of their successful Band Of Gypsys performances at the Fillmore East.

Cherokee Mist - Together with drummer Mitch Mitchell, Jimi created this moody, evocative original complete with his playing of a sitar to complement his traditional electric guitar.

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Both Sides Of The Sky was mixed by Eddie Kramer, the engineer for all of Hendrix's albums throughout the guitarist's lifetime, and produced by Janie Hendrix, Kramer and John McDermott.

Based on this info, I won't be buying this. I haven't liked the sound this team gets on the reissues they've been involved with so far. The resulting music is too loud and shrill for my ears.