I don't mind, I don't mind,

Alright, if all the hippies cut off all their hair,

I don't care, I don't care.

Dig, 'cos I got my own world to live through

And I ain't gonna copy you.

White collared conservative flashing down the street,

Pointing their plastic finger at me.

They're hoping soon my kind will drop and die,

But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high, high.

Wave on, wave on

Fall mountains, just don't fall on me

Go ahead on Mr. Business man, you can't dress like me.

Sing on Brother, play on drummer.

Checked out AYE and Ladyland from the library this past weekend and was reminded how much I enjoyed these albums at one time, and wondered why the heck I ever lost interest in them. Now it seems like I'm enjoying them even more than I did back when I first heard these albums (1988).

Gotta go get my own copies now, along with the woefully underrated Axis: Bold as Love.

Any opinions on First Rays of the New Rising Sun? That's got a lot of my favorite Hendrix tunes on it: "Angel," "Dolly Dagger," and "Room Full of Mirrors" among others.

If anyone here ever travels to Seattle, a must see is the Experience Music Project museum:

http://www.empsfm.org/

IMO, Jimi is the best thing to have come from Seattle--better than Starbucks, UPS, and definitely my crappy Seattle Mariners. The museum is pretty small, but it is of high quality, and there is plenty to see and do. I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was cool: they had some handwritten documents from Jimi, the Strat he played at Woodstock, fragments of some of his guitars that he smashed and burned, his actual effects rig, and some of his stage outfits. The museum also plays plenty of rare Jimi films and documentaries throughout the entire venue. The museum also has other cool artifacts, including Clapton's "Brownie" that he played with Derek and the Dominos, and several exhibits about rock music in the Pacific Northwest. It is a place worth checking out.

today is the anniversary of his death...

November 27, 1942 – September 18, 1970

there's a bunch of pre-existing threads, but none about just Jimi.

My favorite tune is Angel...

There's a bootleg version of "Angel" with just Hendrix singing and playing guitar with no effects that's pure magic. This man had ears.

The BBC Recordings are a favourite (his guitar playing in "Killing Floor" makes me think his brain was wired up differently to the rest of us).

bbc-sessions-jimi-hendrix-experience-cd-cover.jpg

F

Guest Bill Barton

If anyone here ever travels to Seattle, a must see is the Experience Music Project museum:

http://www.empsfm.org/

IMO, Jimi is the best thing to have come from Seattle--better than Starbucks, UPS, and definitely my crappy Seattle Mariners. The museum is pretty small, but it is of high quality, and there is plenty to see and do. I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was cool: they had some handwritten documents from Jimi, the Strat he played at Woodstock, fragments of some of his guitars that he smashed and burned, his actual effects rig, and some of his stage outfits. The museum also plays plenty of rare Jimi films and documentaries throughout the entire venue. The museum also has other cool artifacts, including Clapton's "Brownie" that he played with Derek and the Dominos, and several exhibits about rock music in the Pacific Northwest. It is a place worth checking out.

And don't forget the very cool Jimi statue on Broadway. I always pay my respects when I walk through there... This week I haven't been in town but next time I'm on Capitol Hill will have to leave him a flower.

Any opinions on First Rays of the New Rising Sun? That's got a lot of my favorite Hendrix tunes on it: "Angel," "Dolly Dagger," and "Room Full of Mirrors" among others.

Yes.......worth getting. It's basically an expanded version of "Cry of Love" and "Rainbow Bridge". Supposedly, it's the next album he intended to release. If you like those albums, you'll like this.

For Band of Gypsys fans, I would also highly recommend (I think Lon would, too) the Dagger release "The Baggy's Rehearsal Sessions". These are very loose and fun jams that the band did in advance of the New Year's shows. Pretty decent quality recordings, too. If you're familiar with "Loose Ends", some of that album was taken from these sessions.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been listening though some concert tapes from 69-70. What a dynamic artist! Back then, there was an awareness that this might be timeless, but it now seems much more vital with the perspective of time, as the 60s counterculture dross peels off and the music starts to stand alone.

Edited by John L

• 6 months later...