Anthony Braxton and Akiyoshi/Tabackin Mosaics up for pre-order

J.A.W.

I think he does just as much work "selling" Braxton in the notes - if not more - than explaining the milieu around the time these records were originally released. They're a bit disorganized for me and it sounds, to me, like he hasn't done as much listening as he should be doing - especially to other musicians, others in the AACM, etc.

The European jazz book really was not my shit, even though that music is very important to me.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm particularly interested in what you'all think of the 4 Orchestras pieces because I've never heard them....

There is only one piece on For Four Orchestras, Comp. 82.

Do they sequence the music as it was laid out on lp or do they recreate it as originally intended?

If you're asking whether the half-hour of material that was removed for the LPs has been restored, it doesn't appear so: the total duration of the two CDs (113' 30") is within the margin of error of the six LP sides (114' 30").

I'm particularly interested in what you'all think of the 4 Orchestras pieces because I've never heard them....

Do they sequence the music as it was laid out on lp or do they recreate it as originally intended?

If you're asking whether the half-hour of material that was removed for the LPs has been restored, it doesn't appear so: the total duration of the two CDs (113' 30") is within the margin of error of the six LP sides (114' 30").

Not that. I was talking about the sequence of the lp sides. There was an error in manufacturing the records.

If you're asking whether the half-hour of material that was removed for the LPs has been restored, it doesn't appear so

Ouch...

I don't want to give the impression that not restoring the excised material is a bad thing.

In the Composition Notes, Anthony says

The total material would also exceed two hours and a half and as such, I have taken out about thirty minutes of the music in order to preserve the sound quality of this record. There have also been other adjustments as well, for the problem of time and economics in a project like this has to be taken into account—but what is documented here is an excellent version of the 'essence' of the piece.

Those "other adjustments" refer to the limited rehearsal time (3 hours) and inability to setup or reproduce the spatial elements (given the limitations of the recording space and of the recording apparatus).

So the version we have seems to be the "composer's cut" of an imperfect session.

I don't have an answer to Chuck's question re: sequencing. I just got the box today, but it may be a while before I can make time to give "82" a listen.

How do people feel about Heffley's notes?

(I think the omission of Cooper in the liners was egregious)

Haven't gotten the box so I haven't read the notes. If he doesn't mention Cooper, who I'm sure is credited for his performance in the discographical information, perhaps he's not familiar with his work. In order to write the booklet, he should have been. Maybe he's just young.

Haven't gotten the box so I haven't read the notes. If he doesn't mention Cooper, who I'm sure is credited for his performance in the discographical information, perhaps he's not familiar with his work. In order to write the booklet, he should have been. Maybe he's just young.

:rolleyes:

Nice to see you back. Stick around.

Much to do about nothing: The notes say "Altschul" twice instead of "Cooper". There's no extensive analysis of the percussion work on that session. (A quick look in his book confirms that he knows it's Cooper on that session.)

And, fyi, Heffley is three years younger than Braxton. I'll let you determine the proper age-to-typos ratio for music scholars.

• 4 weeks later...

Not that. I was talking about the sequence of the lp sides. There was an error in manufacturing the records.

I've been told that the sequencing error was corrected. I haven't done an A/B comparison to verify.

Listening to Comp. 82 now -- the sound quality is amazing -- almost like a completely different piece than the one I remember hearing on the LPs (though this may be partly due to it being the first time I've listened to it via headphones).

Edited by jasonguthartz

• 1 month later...

OK, now that I'm seriously considering getting the Braxton Mosaic (I resently found 30-second clips of the whole thing on the AMG, which has nearly sold me), and I want to make sure I come back and print these additonal notes out to keep with the set, which I will (probably) get (probably) soon.

Yowza!!

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

So upstream there was some talk about a second Akiyoshi select that would feature the live recordings. Is this still a possibility or has the economy deep-sixed this? Anyway, it is so frustrating that her early albums are so hard to come by (outside of Japan). I would think iTunes or Amazon would be able to sell them as downloads at least.

So upstream there was some talk about a second Akiyoshi select that would feature the live recordings. Is this still a possibility or has the economy deep-sixed this? Anyway, it is so frustrating that her early albums are so hard to come by (outside of Japan). I would think iTunes or Amazon would be able to sell them as downloads at least.

Well, I found The Amazing Toshiko Akiyoshi on sale at YesAsia and am cautiously optimistic that it will get here (by Jan perhaps). I have ordered through them before, so I know they are not just a fly-by-night website. That still doesn't change the fact that it is a (minor) scandal that her albums don't have distribution in the US. I guess she has such a low profile that it isn't even worth Lonehill's time to put out her early albums. <_< Maybe she didn't hit her stride until 1961 which wouldn't be up for grabs for another couple of years (not that this has stopped them in the past), but I can think of 3 or 4 worthy albums released in 1958 or before. Oh well.

When I asked Scott Wenzel about a live Select, he didn't seem too oprimistic :(

Well, I found The Amazing Toshiko Akiyoshi on sale at YesAsia and am cautiously optimistic that it will get here (by Jan perhaps). I have ordered through them before, so I know they are not just a fly-by-night website. That still doesn't change the fact that it is a (minor) scandal that her albums don't have distribution in the US. I guess she has such a low profile that it isn't even worth Lonehill's time to put out her early albums. <_< Maybe she didn't hit her stride until 1961 which wouldn't be up for grabs for another couple of years (not that this has stopped them in the past), but I can think of 3 or 4 worthy albums released in 1958 or before. Oh well.

Early Records seems to be the go-to for Japanese issues, but failing that, I've ordered many times from CD Japan (non-jazz items) with always impeccable results. Here's their Toshiko listings: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search3.html?q=to...amp;order=score